Viewing 26 posts - 161 through 186 (of 186 total)
  • Cougar Grylls
  • honeybadgerx

If you need more than a one inch blade when you’re backpacking for a couple of days in the UK then you’re doing it wrong. A little said army knife or similar should do you.

marczr
    Free Member

if you need a blade then a small opinel beats a SAK. Little SAK classic for scissors toothpick & tweezers + opinel sems ideal combo to me. Theres also a very light backpackers trowel available for about a fiver, search ‘coghlans backpacking trowel’

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Bog shovel – lighter, smaller, cheaper

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CountZero

marczr – Member
    if you need a blade then a small opinel beats a SAK. Little SAK classic for scissors toothpick & tweezers + opinel sems ideal combo to me.

If you don’t already have a knife, other than the Opinel, then go with what you have. The Opinel is a perfectly good little knife for general use, and cheap enough to not weep over if lost or broken. Damn good steel, and keeps a good edge.
    Might be worth getting a little diamond sharpener, Buck do a very neat little one in a nylon case, I’ve got two, one worn almost smooth now, but really handy, and tiny enough to put in a pocket without noticing it’s there.
    And drink yer coffee black, don’t go sticking that vile plastic milk substitute in it! It’s how coffee was meant to be drunk.
    Or take tea bags in a ziplock baggie and drink it black.
    This is the little sharpener I have, and it/they have been invaluable for some years now, I carry both in one case, back-to-back, and wouldn’t be without them.
    http://www.outdoor365.co.uk/knife-sharpeners-c45/buck-diamond-pocket-sharpening-stone-p774

Cougar

This is the little sharpener I have, and it/they have been invaluable for some years now, I carry both in one case, back-to-back, and wouldn’t be without them.

I see no practical need to carry a knife sharpener on an overnight trip.

However, I do see a massive need to sharpen a knife on a hill in a manly fashion. Cool.

CountZero

I see no practical need to carry a knife sharpener on an overnight trip.

Maybe not overnight, but you never know when you might catch the edge on something just when you need it sharp, and it’s one of those things that is small enough, and cheap enough to carry regardless, just in case.
    I’ve even used mine to smooth off a ripped fingernail when I didn’t have a knife to hand.
    Which, for me, is a rare occurrence! 😀

joshvegas
    Free Member

If you have a knife you have a pointy stick with which you can dig.

Opinel will be, great I love them. SAK as above handy for tweezers beverage opening etc.

The fallkniven… Hilarious.

willard

Josh, how come? When I got it I was doing a lot of rabbit shooting for a local farmer and needed something really sharp for gutting and skinning. It is really sharp and holds an edge very well. As it’s a fixed blade, there’s no chance of the blade shutting on me either. Which is nice.

Cougar

Soooooo yeah.

This is happening tomorrow. I’ve packed a stupidly heavy bag (special thank yous to chudsy for the loan of the bag, and rogermoore (IIRC) for the tent).

I’ve got a route planned up round the Langdales, long story short it’s as close to familiar ground as I can muster and the weather looks favourable.

Signal permitting, I’ll tweet updates / pics to http://twitter.com/ukcougar

Sincerely, thank you to everyone who’s provided feedback, tips, help and encouragement. If I die, no, you can’t have my bike.

cinnamon_girl

Have fun! 😀

rogermoore

Good luck mate! 🙂
    RM.

Jamie
    Free Member

So, shall we start a book on how long he lasts?

I have 6-1 on him being mauled by badgers after 5 hours.

RustySpanner

A tenner on him tripping over his beard in the carpark.

Enjoy yourself.
    🙂

CountZero

Is he going to get heatstroke, or is he going to get the only downpour in the entire country? 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

*gets out photoshop
    *tries to do an amusing fake movie poster featuring Cougar and a survival situation
    *realises I suck at photoshop

Jamie
    Free Member

This is the best you’re going to get from me at 10pm on a Saturday….

willard

Jamie, that’s not bad given the time of day or your (alleged) alcohol intake.

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol 🙂

bearnecessities

Do we need to fire up Lassie?

joshvegas
    Free Member

You’ll need more than a fire to restart lassie

Cougar

Rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Is he going to get heatstroke, or is he going to get the only downpour in the entire country?

CZ wins.

Went up to Angle Tarn. Set off from the Old Dungeon Ghyll car park about 2:30. Got to the tarn maybe three hours later, in beautiful weather. Man, that climb is hard. Got pitched up, fed and watered, then about 8pm the bloody heavens opened and it booted it down all night.

Had to fashion a tent liner from a black bin bag when the weather exceeded the tent’s hydrostatic head, as I didn’t fancy sleeping in a puddle all night. Got woken up by a dawn chorus of ducks, amusingly.

Slept on and off till about 8am, where I gave up waiting for the weather to calm down, and wrangled with the logistics of getting breakfast and decamping without getting everything else soaked. Turns out, bin bags also make great impromptu dry liners.

Got back to TODG maybe 11:30, got changed, hit the bar and tried to order food at ten to 12, to be told the kitchen didn’t open till 12. Sod you then, finished my pint of Cumberland and buggered off.

Got home maybe half and hour ago. The tent’s currently in my back yard drying out, and my OH hasn’t murdered me as I returned with her sleeping bag dry. So it’s all good really.

Cheers to everyone that’s helped, appreciated.

Jamie
    Free Member

So it’s a hotel next time?

Cougar

I’d need a bigger rucksack to pack one of those I reckon.

andytherocketeer

So it’s a hotel next time?

^^well that’s what bear would have done anyway 😉

Esme
    Free Member

“Bin bags” ? Errm, was that instead of buying a shovel?
    I hope you weren’t planning to hang it from a tree? 😯

Cougar

‘s what happens when you drink the water.

Viewing 26 posts - 161 through 186 (of 186 total)

The topic ‘Cougar Grylls’ is closed to new replies.