Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Couch to 5k, doable for a chubster?
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

That really, I’m overweight but it doesn’t seem to be going anywhere soon and the more cycling I’ve put in doesn’t seem to be getting me any closer to the lean mean fighting machine I want to be

And yes, I have cut down from eating all the pies

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Buy a road bike and ride the arse out of it. The weight will fall off.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Why don’t you just go out and try jogging 5k right now? Go on, I bet you can do it.

headfirst
    Free Member

No I bet he can’t. Couch to 5k is good, I’m doing it myself and it feels right in terms of what I can manage without straining knees or groin, which have both had a bit of DOMS after.

Bregante

He’s right you know. You could. Even if it takes you longer than youd like. You eill have done it. Then it’s just a matter of doing it lots more until you can do it quicker.

grim168
    Free Member

My missus did it and she does nowt. I’d stick to the program. Your joints will thank you for it and when you start and your breathings all to bollox keep going and it’ll settle down.

jam-bo

Walk 5k

Walk it a bit faster

Jog a bit and walk a bit

Jog it all

Jog a bit and jog a bit faster

Can I have a fitness program named after me now?

righog
    Free Member

It’s a lovely night, go on google maps and find somewhere to walk from your house that is 2.5 KM away. Go now and walk there and back, by the end of the week you will be jogging it no problem,

geoffj

I can do it – get yerself a Garmin watch and race yourself.
    Approach it as per Jim bobs suggestion.

IanW
    Free Member

The jam bo plan will work but you may not loose any weight or gain anything other than the ability to jog 5k. I would combine it with the nielsonwheels plan a garmin strava and a bit less starch. That’ll do it.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Nah – forget all that negativity. Just go out and jog it. I bet you can do it and surprise yourself. I’m kind of hoping your silence means that you’re out there doing it to be honest.

surfer
    Free Member

I’m doing the Jambo sub 35 min 10k schedule at 50.

Although I have inserted the “run till yer eyeballs pop” supplementary session twice weekly! 😯

You can do it just start small. If you persevere you will be staggered by what you can achieve.

jam-bo

That’s more than you would have got out of idave…

surfer
    Free Member

🙂

buck53

I too am a chubster, currently. I’m a week into 0 to 10k, it’s been very very easy, but I’m sticking to the schedule to keep my muscles/joints protected. If I can do it, I’m sure you’ll be able to. Go for it.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i’m just about to start week 5 of it.
    it’s good and it’s working; there’s no way i could have just gone straight off and even jogged 5K but sticking to the programme is definitely allowing my muscles and joints to build up to it without any lasting damage to them (although once or twice, on the rest day my ankles and calf muscles were incredibly stiff and tight, but that passes).
    if you’ve never done any running, then follow the programme unfalteringly. if you just decide to set off and see what you can do, there’s a very good chance you’ll damage something.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

I’ve had a few failed attempts at this.

Current successful* attempt aided by:

Music, an interval timer of some sort (phone app or something like a gymboss), somewhere nice to go and patience.

*I’m doing 5km three times a week. Struggling with my breathing (and seem to be suffering from a permanently blocked nose) so tend to run in either half mile/mile intervals with 30/60 second walk breaks.

lovebadger
    Free Member

Walk-jog to start with check herefor a few ideas.

Go paleo to lose a few pounds and get healthy.

Find an event to enter and you can get some motivation to get out there.

good luck

endurogangster
    Free Member

Easily doable, I’m overweight and had to fill in for my dad to do the Lincoln 10k a couple of months back, no running for 12 months or more, did a practice 5 miles on the Friday and then the 10k on the Sunday, ache for a few days afterwards tho!

retro83
    Free Member

It’s a good programme if you’ve not done much running before. I really struggled with the first few weeks, even though I was doing a lot of cycling at the time. Bloody satisfying cracking 5k for the first time and feeling good 8)

robdob
    Free Member

Blooming brilliant program – I went from not being able to run for more than 30seconds (first time out I genuinely thought I needed to make a 999 call I thought I was dying) to running 6km. Get fitted for some proper trainers first – that’s all you need. I wear a cycling top to put my phone in the zip section.
    Need to get back to running as the joy of getting to the point of running and it actually feeling easy was amazing.
    Use MyFitnesspal at the same time and enter everything you eat honestly – food intake is more important than exercise – when you realise running for 30mins only burns 400 cals you think twice about that Mars bar!!!

I lose 3 stone – 2lbs a week using the above. Very very hard work but worth every minute.

fozzyuk

It’s good and well worth doing. Me and the Mrs did it. Builds you up and you can repeat stages so fits any ability.

Unlike just running 5k as someone above said, the advantage of building up is less risk of injury and a sustainable effort.

molgrips
    Free Member

Then it’s just a matter of doing it lots more until you can do it quicker.

FFS

So all these scientists and coaches are just wasting their time with all this research on how bodies work then.. and you’d know this exactly how?

You can get better at running by just running. However, a bit of knowledge about how your body works makes it much easier, much quicker and much more fun and rewarding. Some people on STW think this is WRONG for some reason, I’ve no idea why.

To the OP – I think C25K is aimed exactly at people such as yourself, so crack on 🙂

jam-bo

FFS

So all these scientists and coaches are just wasting their time with all this research on how bodies work then.. and you’d know this exactly how?

i think all those scientists and coaches are focusing on improving performance at the top end.

not getting someone off their fat lazy ass. that just requires a bit of motivation and willpower.

surfer
    Free Member

I’m with you Molly but it is possible to get faster simply doing the same thing over and over, your progress will be slow and you will soon max out.
    I have been flamed on here before for suggesting that “normal” runners should introduce interval and Fartlek into their training schedules. It is by far the most effective and time and energy efficient method of training but for many people it simply sucks the enjoyment out of running.

Edit: for all runners regardless of standard

thegreatape
    Free Member

I did it and it was very good.

mogrim

I have been flamed on here before for suggesting that “normal” runners should introduce interval and Fartlek into their training schedules. It is by far the most effective and time and energy efficient method of training but for many people it simply sucks the enjoyment out of running.

I quite like doing intervals… not that the OP should be considering them!

To the original question, go for it. The Couch-to-5K plan I’ve seen is basically the same as the plan I used when I started running, led me to quit smoking and I lost a fair bit of weight. Standard warning: running can be addictive, I’m now signed up for an ultramarathon in September…

BobaFatt
    Free Member

what have we learned this morning?

I am rather unfit
    My dog doesn’t like it when I’m running
    While my stamina isn’t bad on the bike, it’s not great without one
    MyFitnessPal works better when you pay attention

I managed about half of the first day challenge, so I think i might have to build up to that over the week. I sat down for 5 minutes once I got home and when I got back up it felt like someone had given me a dead leg.

mogrim

I managed about half of the first day challenge, so I think i might have to build up to that over the week. I sat down for 5 minutes once I got home and when I got back up it felt like someone had given me a dead leg.

Seriously, take it easy while building up, there’s no hurry.

molgrips
    Free Member

It is by far the most effective and time and energy efficient method of training but for many people it simply sucks the enjoyment out of running.

I quite like doing intervals, because I love to sprint. The simple act of running (or biking for that matter) flat out is far more enjoyable for me than just plodding along.

The other reason I like them is that they improve my general running so much. Some people can just put on trainers and jog along comfortably with the wind in their hair, enjoying the countryside and whatever, and love it. This is not me. When I did this, it was grim, I was a shuffling hurting aching mess hating every second of it. By doing the right interval training (and the right gait!) I can get much closer to the goal of enjoying running. For me, it’s not about shaving seconds off my 10k, it’s about being able to enjoy the activity.

i think all those scientists and coaches are focusing on improving performance at the top end.

not getting someone off their fat lazy ass. that just requires a bit of motivation and willpower.

I don’t think so. And besides, the same principles apply anyway. Doesn’t every runner want to improve? Why would you choose to improve more slowly and boringly? Why would the OP want to shuffle enless gasping 5ks when in the same period they could be running nicely along, putting in good times and achieving targets?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Keep at it Boba

After getting out and giving it a go for half a dozen times you’ll see/feel an improvement… and that’ll give you the encouragement to carry on and get to 5k.

Well done

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Former chubster here. Was over 17 stone, now 12 stone. Running 10k and half marathon.

Things that worked for me:
    Diet:
    – don’t eat crap
    – if you want to snack, a few cashews or almonds worked for me
    – eat until you’re full, not beyond. I found I was over eating because I just liked the taste.
    – have some wine and cake sometimes

Exercise:
    – I couldn’t exercise my way to losing weight. Combination of a change in diet and exercise worked for me.
    – start slowly, if you hurt yourself too much, you’ll stop. The couch to 5km sounds perfect
    – a combination of interval training (could be cycling up hills), some weights, some stretching and some longer rides/runs will get you fitter pretty quickly. Circuits classes are good.

bikebouy
    Free Member

My advice would be to take your time and enjoy the excersise. Going at it had from the start could lead to injury which could lead to loss of motivation.
    And bit of advice I have it Trail Run. Hop off the roads and into the Woods, it’s soooo much nicer.

And have fun.

surfer
    Free Member

I quite like doing intervals… not that the OP should be considering them!

Nothing could be further from the truth and several peole have advocated them already.
    An interval is a way of stressing your body for a shorter period of time but at a higher intensity than would be normal during a normal training session.
    For example a good club runner may run 4×1 mile intervals with say a 3 minute slow jog recovery between each at a pace similar to his best 5k race pace.
    The same concept is true of the OP but at a slower pace. The same physiological changes take place. The interval in this case may be running for 1/2 a mile then taking a walk or rest then repeating.
    They are not the preserve of elite athletes

stever
    Free Member

I like intervals and if you think about it a run-walk program *is* an interval program for a complete beginner…

ElVino

As someone who hated running with a passion but have always cycled, I found the issue to be in my head, when I was running there was always a voice in my head telling me this is ridiculous you should stop. I started out my target was run between lamp posts then walk to next one and repeat. It took a couple of weeks to build up to even running 1km. It took a long time however before I could ignore that voice although music helped.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

as said above, the couch to 5K program IS interval training for complete beginners. and it works.
    whoever said they wouldn’t recommend interval training to the OP is wrong, it’s a tried and tested method for building fitness/losing weight (albeit not at a totally flat out pace).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Couch to 5k is basicaly intervals isn’t it? Week 1 is run a minute, walk a minute for 10 minutes.

I can* run 5k, so I might join the missus on her’s when she gets to about 3k and build it up from there. The perscribed intervals look a bit more interesting than just going for a jog. A bit like a club run alternating between hammering flat out at the front, trying not to die on the back, and recovering somewhere in the middle, is more fun than 4 hours on a road bike on your own.

*as opposed to ‘do’, I did the ‘glupton 0-5k in under half an hour fitness plan'(tm), then got bored.

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

Check out you local Park run http://www.parkrun.org.uk/

Turn up give it a go see how far you make it, try again the week after..

It really helps motivation to run with other people (for me anyway).

Both me and Mrs SLR started these a couple of months ago usually do them every other week but the times are coming down. Her’s has dropped by over 10mins to a respectable 30mins

surfer
    Free Member

Just for interest! Interval training at its extreme by one of its greatest proponents and one of the greatest athletes ever.

In 1954, Zatopek was now 32 and competing for the Dukas Sporting Club. Once more his military superiors called him in.
    “Emil,” his voice grows low and gruff, imitating an officer. “You have world record 10,000, 15,000, 20,000, 30,000, but no 5,000. 5,000 is Olympic event.” The record was 13:58, by Gunder Hagg from Sweden. “Can you get it?”
    “Please, allow me to practice in the woods, in the forest, on soft terrain,” Zatopek told them, as he had previously when asked to make a record attempt. “Three weeks. I need three weeks. Two weeks very intense productivity, third week, less and less, and then to try for the record.”
    With time off from his military duties, Zatopek did the hardest training of his life, perhaps the hardest training ever. “I ran every day 100 X 400 meters. In the woods, 400 meters,” he whistles, saying “arrhh,” and making a face. “Then 150 meters jogging for recovery,” he pants, with his tongue hanging out. “50 times in the morning and 50 times in the afternoon. Every day for two weeks. Oh, it was a lot of work.” One hundred by 400 meters every day for two weeks-with warm-up and warmdown he was running over 30 miles per day.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Couch to 5k, doable for a chubster?’ is closed to new replies.