Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Cottage industry lights?
  • bowglie

I’m after some reasonably priced bar/helmet lights and seem to remember hearing of a guy in the Yorkshire area(?) making them for around the £90 mark. I’d prefer this local UK route rather than buying via Fleabay/China (can’t afford a set of Hope/exposure ATM)

Does anyone know of any small scale manufacturers?

SirHC

Smudge? (His user name on here), think he stopped making lights

http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk is in cannock

mrjmt
    Free Member

Trout? Think he’s stopped.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Trout was Yorkshire and did do a DIY light a few years back for that money.

I don’t think he’s still selling lights now though 🙁

stevied
    Free Member

You might get a light body for that price but not with a battery/charger etc.
    As said, Troutie has stopped making lights to sell now but I believe he’s got some bits so might be worth trying to get in touch with him.

There are still a couple of people (me included) that still make the odd light but normally for personal use.

freeagent
    Free Member

I think the flooding of the market with cheap Chinese fireworks has pretty much killed the light building cottage industry in the UK.

philwarren11
    Free Member

http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/ and his shop on ebay… http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/big_f_d_d?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2754

His stuff is branded Torchy.

Personally im getting close to pulled the trigger on a BK7even

djflexure

Fourth lights are Uk based – I like mine. May be a bit more than you want to pay.

Exposure good also but again more money

Luminous
    Free Member

You could try contacting Trout, perhaps like me, he may have some NOS.

Being “cottage industry” I can’t even buy the parts needed for £90.

You could try MTBBatteries, I think some people on this forum have bought these lights, search the forum and you may find a thread or two on MTBBatteries AKA Smudge.
    http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/mountain-bike-lights/

Smudge is very knowledgeable on the battery side and sells good, quality kit, especially his battery cells.

I source my batteries and chargers from him and it’s all good stuff and he’s good to deal with.

bigmick25
    Free Member

Smudge @ MTBBatteries for batteries and lights ,superb customer service and products.

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

On the subject of DIY lights- I’m looking for some new connectors for my cheap cree lamp / battery. I remmber someone recommending some bosch car dc connectors that were semi waterproof a while back, in one of these threads, can anyone assist?

timba
    Free Member

Superseal and Tyco make waterproof connectors if that helps. They’re sold on ebay for not too much

z1ppy

Catfishsalesco These connectors not bought them myself as my connectors are ok, but saved in my eBay page.. There was at least one poster who didn’t reckon much to them though…

trout
    Free Member

Freeagent has it in one .

Though it does seem the Chinese stuff is going up in price .

some new leds on the block at last

New 1800 lupin leds

Which look interesting so ordered a few to have a play with

Stevied is I believe making a 7 up with these leds

I have a few housings available like this thread on mtbr

4800 lupin light

and will happily put together a list of stuff you would need to build one up

stevied
    Free Member

Hey Chris, I am indeed:

Did you get my email asking if you had some spare bits?

trout
    Free Member

Looks interesting Steve gonna get hot with 7 leds on board .

will have a trawl for your mail

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Chris, dId my Liberator ever arrive for repair?

trout
    Free Member

Oops MTM. had the time team round for a dig in my garage and your lib was there in the clutter
    Sorry will get if back to you asap .

bowglie

Thanks for the replies & info. I think I’m gonna try the twin led model from mtb batteries (smudge)….maybe even be able to retire my old Hope HID :))

dantsw13

Troutie – would you possibly have a spare battery charger for one of your a Spider Eyes batteries? Mine has been “put somewhere safe”

trout
    Free Member

Afraid I have no chargers but good ole Smudge at mtbbatteries will be able to sort you one out .

rab5474
    Free Member

Another vote for smudge at mtb batteries, awesome bloke and awesome lights

dantsw13

Thanks guys – I’ll email him.

Still loving the spider eyes btw. Having it out of commission just emphasises how good it is!!

big_scot_nanny

Yup, I run a spider eyes too as my only light. Awesome!

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Oi Trout, how’s my Liberator?

boltonjon

Also recommend 4Forth in Aldershot – top quality product and great aftermarket care

100mphplus
    Free Member

Sorry to jump in on this thread, but my Trout Darkness Dominator has died and I can’t find contact details for Trout (Chris) to try and sort a repair out.

Could someone please post his email address or email it to me steve dot felstead at morgansindall dot com.

Thanks.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Cottage industry lights?’ is closed to new replies.