Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Cottage / hostel??
  • flashes
    Free Member

I have a week’s hol I need to take before the end of March. I’ve looked into various long distance rides, but campsites are shut.
    Does anyone know a cheap cottage / or hostel near good riding (not fussed if it’s forest, beach) I can rent for a week…………….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Borrowdale YHA. awesome walking and riding from the doorstep, nice wee cakeshop and pub in 5 mins walk.

ton

I use hostels all year long…cant beat em value wise.

borrowdale
    buttermere
    Keswick
    once brewed
    all stretton
    boggle hole
    and nearly every syha north of the border.

flashes
    Free Member

Are they actually OK for a week’s stay or will I end up attacking people cos I can’t sleep. I’m mature, like my sleep and grumpy….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You can get single rooms now.

Mackem

Dales bike centre?

lapierrelady
    flashes
    Free Member

Looked at prices, for a single room (YHA)it would be more than booking a cottage for a week. Cottage I think it will be then…..anyone know any good one’s less than £200 for the week……..

flashes
    Free Member

Unfortunately the Dales is booked the dates I can go. Will look in to t’other Welsh one.
    Cheers

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Looked at prices, for a single room (YHA)it would be more than booking a cottage for a week. Cottage I think it will be then…..anyone know any good one’s less than £200 for the week……..

Best of luck with that, you’ll have better luck squatting.

flashes
    Free Member

At this time of year they’re about. I just need to work out where abouts I want to go and check I can sneak a bike into the kitchen…

ton

£15 per night for yha. get some ear plugs and ipod tunes for night time in dorms.

flashes
    Free Member

Yea, that’s a poss………

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Biking? Peace and Quiet?
    Loch Ossian

or Glen Affric SYHA

ElShalimo

Achmelvich Beach SYHA is worth a visit if you’re ever up that way
    Stunning location

Looky here

scotroutes

Most of the SYHA hostels will be shut at the end of March. What about a bothy?

maccruiskeen

Not quite as cheap and cheerful as hosteling but I’ve used the studios at Lynton Lodge in keswick a few times – half way between a b&b and a cottage really – a little self catering studio flat. A short walk into keswick for amenities but facilities to cook your own meals also and more flexible about the number of days you stay and when you check in/out than most self catering places tend to be

flashes
    Free Member

Love the look of those hostels, but I’m in Bristol, so a bit of a trek. Lyndon Lodge looks brill. I’ll be on my own, so too expensive. But I think the area looks really good….

maccruiskeen

at that time of year jt would be worth checking out if travelodge has any room sales on – you can stay in some places for buttons when theres offers on. The trick can sometimes be to make a string of one-night bookings in one place rather than book for several nights at once, as they’ll often only offer the sale rate for the first night of the set of dates you’re searching for, so searching and booking each day of your stay individually can be cheaper

Use their map search and see whats where, obviously they’ll all tend to be near main roads or in towns but Skipton, for instance, has one and others will be in easy reach of good riding

mick_r

If you want to be central for all the Galloway / SW Scotland 7 Stanes plus options for a bit of beach + singletrack – try Gelston Lodge (Balcary Bothy is the smallest one). Week at end of March is £200 inc everything and a first bag of logs for the stove, plus has its own washing machine for dirty kit. Not been in that particular one but stayed many times in the bigger cottages (hate crummy cottages – these are, clean, modern, recently converted and well maintained):-

http://www.cottage-holiday-scotland-dumfries-galloway.co.uk/Balcary-holiday-cottages-dumfries-shire.php

flashes
    Free Member

Unfortunately fully booked…

jota180
    Free Member

Not less that £200 but not far off
    Spitting distance from the Dales Biking Centre too

http://www.sykescottages.co.uk/cottage/Yorkshire-Dales-North-Fremington/Hobsons-Cottage-752.html

flashes
    Free Member

Jota, cheers. I found a brill one. Just checking availability and dates my end….

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Cottage / hostel??’ is closed to new replies.