Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cotswolds bikepacking spots
  • drain

Hello. Recently moved to Cheltenham and, despite already having had my usual bikepacking bike nicked 🙁 , I’m hoping to nip out tomorrow (Friday) night for an overnighter while my GF is away.

Anyone got any suggestions for interesting short (knee is currently recovering so I’m thinking c.15 miles) night rides out of Cheltenham with a decent discreet sleeping spot to end with? Conversely, any spots I should actively avoid?!

Ta muchly 😀

flatfish
    Free Member

Near chedworth villa

IHN

Something circular-ish and end up on Cleeve Hill? You should be able to tuck yourself into some of the quiter spots on the back of it for the night.

Or Cranham?

Problem with the ‘Wolds is that a lot of it’s owned by people with shotguns…

drain

Thanks, folks. @IHN – yes, the land:gun ownership correlation is on my mind! @flatfish – I’d been thinking that the woods near Withington look promising so thanks for the confirmation. Choices…

qwerty
    Free Member

any spots I should actively avoid?!

Birdlip dogging spot!

mrmo
    Free Member

Cowley woods, Cleeve, even Cranham to be honest would be ok if you can tuck yourself away from th paths. Could try Bredon if you can find a quieter spot.

ridden through Chedworth at night and you do get poatchers, or at least that is the only explanation i can come up with for some of what i have heard go on, lots of deer, lots of pheasants.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Have a look at an OS map. Between Slad and Painswick you’ll see Juniper Hill and a disused quarry. It’s very disused, a flat, sheltered grassy spot cut into the hill. As a plan B there’s a wood on the ridge above.

Moses

At the west end of Woodchester Park (nice ride through) there’s a car park & National Trust area overlooking the Severn Vale. Tuck yourself into the southern ens of the massive open spaces and you’ll be fine. There are woods for ablutions, too, and a pub in Nympsfield less than a mile away.
    we’ve stayed there in a the camper a couple of times.

drain

Hi all, thanks for all your suggestions – plenty to keep me interested (and soggy!) over the coming weeks! 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

@drain – clearly much respect due to you, it looks too miserable for bivi-ing to me, it’s November !

v666ern
    Free Member

have seen peeps camping in cranham woods, just off buckholt at the top…still cranham gets a tad ‘moist’ this time of year so the riding may be slippery 🙁

dont be a wus and go bivvying in the forest, those piggies would love you! 😆

tang
    Free Member

I have camped many times at juniper hill, lovely. Slip over the hill for a pint at the wool pack.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Keep away from Withington woods at night.There is some very strange goings on there.Seriously.

drain

Well, glad I was away last night before reading dobbiejesmo’s post 😉

As it was, I had a very quiet night of it in Chedworth Woods near the Roman villa ruin. Nice flat and sheltered area which I’d think has been used before but no litter etc. The only racket going on was the owls at night and the pheasants in the morning, noisy perishers 😉

Spotted quite a few other promising looking options on the return ride this morning so, along with all your suggestions, that’ll keep me busy for a while 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cotswolds bikepacking spots’ is closed to new replies.