Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cotswold ride advice please Nailsworth – Wotton – Dursley ride
  • jobbyheid
    Free Member

Has anybody done the above loop from the Cotswolds MTB guide book? I’m thinking about doing it this weekend with the girlfriend, is it any good? Also can anybody recommend a good, cheapish, bike friendly B&B nearby?

Thanks in advance.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Hi, I’ve got the book and am working my way through the rides.

Not done that one exactly but did No.12 which was extremely tame and involved a lot of road. Good for a beginner, but a fair old climb at the start out of Nailsworth. 19 looks like a monster!

Route 17 has an amazing descent to Uley, if you like that sort of thing. Route 19 passes the top of it just past point 12.

Castle Combe one is ok too, couple of nice rocky sections which were a surprise.

jobbyheid
    Free Member

thanks for that, I suppose there’s so much road about in the area you’re going to be on and off it a bit.. I liked the look of the Castle Combe one too, I might go and do it tomorrow in fact!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tang
    Free Member

I live in Nailsworth and the riding is ok round here(nice xc with lots of climbing, bit lacking in tech singletrack). I just moved from Painswick over a year ago and was a bit spoiled by the trails around Cranham/Birdlip/Sheepscombe/Slad. Still, I’m finding a few good bits, havent seen the book so might have a glance. Its a beautiful part of the country and Nailsworth is a nice town. Stroud has a great farmers market on Saturday if thats your thing. B&B wise we always send people to ‘the old lodge’ on Minchinhampton common above Nailsworth. Its above a pub with good food, not that cheap though, but nice. In nailsworth ‘hobbs house’ for cakes, bread and coffee, ‘the village’ for pies and beer(brewery downstairs), coco for sweets…

fbracing
    Free Member

Cranham/Birdlip/Sheepscombe/Slad

gotta agree on that. Cycle from Cheltenham. Just got back into it last year and still finding new trails.
    Leckhampton pretty good too especially at night and weekdays (no walkers, dogs, etc).

gothandy

I’ve lived in the Castle Coombe area for a while now and can confirm there is the odd pocket of fun to be had. Not great in the wet and nothing last more than a few 100 yards, but you can string something together.

If you do find anything around Nailsworth I’d like to know, it appears to have the vertical height to do something interesting, and you’ve got the jolly good noah’s bike shop round the corner, so I always assumed there would be some cheeky trails somewhere!

flatfish
    Free Member

Nothing that i know round nailsworth that’s owt like you’ve been used to that I know of(nowhere near the elevation). ST859989 is a short sharp descent that’s had a few tweaks from locals over the years. last time i rode it, it was a river so don’t expect too much. Pub at the bottom is one of prince Harry’s drinking parlours too.

tang
    Free Member

plenty of cheeky bits just not that long in duration. been riding up to uley via horsley and kingscote and joining the singletrack that runs next to the cotswold way to selsley, not bad and a good loop for the legs. still havent made it to wooton yet.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Plenty around Nailsworth.

Have a look at an OS map (bing will do). Just south of Nailsworth is Upper Barton End. Give all the trails around there a go.

The footpath from Shiptons Grave Lane to Orange Grove Barn is actually a permissive bridalway and has a nice descent.

The bridalway off Shiptons Grave Lane to Avening is another nice one. The wood to the north is worth a look.

For some nice long singletrack have a look in Stanley Wood (West of Nailsworth, just beyond Woodchester park). It runs parallel to the road. Selsley common is worth taking in, as is Minch.

Edit, this is what Tang was riding:

plenty of cheeky bits just not that long in duration. been riding up to uley via horsley and kingscote and joining the singletrack that runs next to the cotswold way to selsley, not bad and a good loop for the legs. still havent made it to wooton yet.

The cyclepath (old railway) is incredibly fast for linking things back together.

As for Wotton-under-Edge… check out Westridge Wood. It has at least as much to offer as Cranham.

jobbyheid
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice, all duly noted, I’ll report back how we get on.

I’m not that bothered with it not being nails flatfish, going with Pam so just looking to have a nice day out!

flatfish
    Free Member

If that’s the case, there’s plenty to do round there.

jobbyheid
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice, we had a wee blast along the cheeky homebrew stuff in Stanley woods on Friday night, it was really nice, so thanks for that..

Did the full Nailsworth – Avening – Wotton – Dursley loop. It was good! the riding was a bit dull from the start till Ozleworth, then pretty good till towards the end again. Nice day out anyway, the Hazel Wood downhill at the end was great too, especially with the last light of the day on it.

Thanks for all the advice. We stayed at the Wild Garlic restaurant so we could be in town which was nice and the breakfast was great but we had to keep the bikes in the car and the morning coffee was a bit weak!

Here are a couple of phoaties..
    Flickr photo..

Flickr photo..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cotswold ride advice please Nailsworth – Wotton – Dursley ride’ is closed to new replies.