Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cotswold break – road or mtb?
  • gringo

I’ve got a weeks break in the Cotswolds in August with the family staying near Stow on the Wold. The wife has said that I can take a bike and get out for a ride or two so the question is – which bike shall I take? Rides will need to be 2-3 hours max.

I’d rather ride from the doorstep than driving anywhere further afield.

Any route suggestions would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

IHN

Either, really.

MTB will need some time piecing something together, but there’s plenty of tracks and BWs around there.

Roadie would probably be easier to head out the door and follow your nose(ish) through the many and various country lanes and villages.

dragon
    Free Member

Road, the road riding in the Cotswolds is lovely. Mtb is all a bit mheh.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Mtb but do your homework. Road riding is just as dull in the cotswolds as anywhere else.

qwerty
    Free Member

Surely graaaavel bike is the answer?

IHN

Mtb is all a bit mheh

Well, depends. If you’re after hardcore gnaar, you’ll be disappointed, and you’ll be overbiked on anything other than a hardtail. That’s not to say you can’t have a bloody enjoyable ride.

Surely graaaavel bike is the answer?

Given what we used to call ‘XC mountain biking’ is now called ‘gravel/adventure/whatever’, you’re probably right.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I would go with the road bike.

Not a tandem.

Stayed in bourton on the water and went for a nice lap about, till we got lost then not so fun blast down an a road back.

bullroar
    Free Member

Take the roadie, Stow is a good base for 2 to 3 hour rides. Get an OS map and you should be able to sort out routes that stays mainly on the yellow roads.

golo
    Free Member

Live a good way south of there but used to live north of there….

Road.

Lots of pretty and very easy to nose your way about.

mudshark
    Free Member

I ride on road around there most weeks as working out that way; some decent climbs up Cleeve Hill, including a silly steep one, and nearby Stanway Hill is nice up’n’down.

slowoldman

Get an OS map

Do you want woofers and tweeters grandad?

(Actually I am very pro paper map and learning how to read one).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cotswold break – road or mtb?’ is closed to new replies.