Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cotic X – any good as a tourer?
  • d4ddydo666
    Free Member

Has anyone used the X for touring? Had a quick spin around the block and it felt like my 456 (set up with 6!) so not at all like a road bike… A slow carve around corners but surprisingly easy to manual/hop.

I’m guessing this is what makes it confidence-inspiring on the wee tempting singletracks that my alu roadie won’t entertain though so hope to persuade Cotic to let me borrow one for an afternoon near their home to experience hills and rough tracks. Seems pretty similar numbers-wise to other touring frames though and I intend to do some camping adventures with it as well as it being the only roadie in my life.

The guts of the query is: do its unusual strengths make up for its lack of nippy-feeling handling on the road/will I learn to enjoy tight corners and inner-city riding?

rob2
    Free Member

I’ve got one 54cm. Excellent bike. Use on the road and off road. Nr Oxford if you want to borrow it for a try

d4ddydo666
    Free Member

Aaw bless, I’m oop Nowerth laak lad. Have been in Oxford a lot of late but shan’t be back again. Ta muchly f’t’offer though!

So you don’t find it ponderous on corners? Have you mod’d it at all? I wondered if sticking normal bars (42 c2c) might tighten the steering feel at all. Of course it might be that the roadie I was given is sharper than I need and it’s just a matter of acclimatisation.

bol

I didn’t find mine ponderous if I compared it to my Solaris rather than my Tarmac. It was only when I swapped it for a Pro6 that I realised that it wasn’t very sharp for a cross bike. They are really confidence inspiring and comfortable and a great all-rounder. I didn’t tour on mine, but it spent a lot of time set up as a winter roadie/commuter with skinny tires and mudguards and felt right at home – if not particularly pulse quickening.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Took mine very loaded up through the Hebridies. No issues there. You will have to sort out a tope rack mount. I used a seat clamp type although was thinking about using the redundant V brake mounts but never got round to it. With tons of weight on it it’s general chunkiness isn’t noticed .

d4ddydo666
    Free Member

Awesome, thank you both.

mattsccm – Did you use front racks or did it feel stable enough with all the weight on the back?

bol – my strength is in ploughing on moderately fast so I’d only win races against hares that like to snooze when they have a lead on me. I don’t think CX will be a major part of its life (though I do like self-punishment so will probably give it a go).

Hopefully Cotic will get back to me agreeing to a test ride in the real world. I’ll be borrowing my mate’s Croissant de Fur for comparison. Any other suggestions out there?

rob2
    Free Member

Not ponderous at all. I use 42cm bars and an 80mm stem.

I’ve got the carbon forks but I’d probably go steel next time as better value for money IMO .

I’m from Newcastle originally but now darn south. Innit

d4ddydo666
    Free Member

Why aye lad, well at least you have a sweet bike for consolation 😉 I thought Oxford was lovely actually.

Thanks for thoughts on forks.

Just found out the X is dead, long live the Y. Something between an X and a Roadrat, apparently. Mixed feelings about it having lusted for the X for over a year already and blowing it out of the water at the last minute for a /propoh/ MTB. I guess if it’s lighter n tighter yet still handy over rough stuff and loads up nicely it’ll be closer to my actual requirements of it. Wondering what colours it’ll appear in – I don’t think I’d want that classy duck egg, ta muchly, the gaudy green/orange was fit! White trim to soothe my Irish heart please http://www.flickr.com/photos/coticltd/8427467369/in/photostream/

epo-aholic
    Free Member

Generally cross bikes do very well for touring so should be fine 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cotic X – any good as a tourer?’ is closed to new replies.