Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Cotic X Weekday vs Genesis Croix de fer
  • ljc81
    Free Member

Hi, this is to be my first bike. Want a “do everything” bike. Don’t need it for competitions/racing.

Done a bit of research and looking at a Croix de Fer and a Cotix >X< weekday.

Croix de Fer for BB7 discs, Tiagra, steel fork £970
    >X< weekday, with BB5 discs, Sora, and carbon fork £1050

Slightly swaying towards the >X< however, is the price not a bit steep for a bike equipped with Sora? Is it that big a deal? Excuse my ignorance I am new to all things bike!

zilog6128

I think it is actually another £90 to have BB5s on the X making it £1140. (Not that BB5s are really any good, BB7s are much better)

Not a huge difference between the bikes, Croix de Fer slightly higher quality steel perhaps and as you say better spec for the money. Neither are particularly light but the carbon fork on the X will probably save half a kilo or so. Both Tiagra and Sora work fine IMO, Tiagra action is the same as higher spec Shimano levers whereas Sora works differently (don’t like it as much personally).

I went through the same decision making process last year, ended up getting a Croix de Fer which I am very happy with, have spent about the same again on upgrades though. Count on getting a new saddle at least as the stock one is terrible! There are lots of similar bikes around the same price though so plenty of choice.

ljc81
    Free Member

I’m getting a deal on the Cotic which includes the discs and fork for 1050.

If you are talking about the sora shifters i believe the 2013 models have been changed to match the Tiagra style (just going on what I’ve read during research, might be talking rubbish)

Thanks!

mrhoppy

By picking up the sales my 105 & BB7 specced X build came in at around £1k, it’s only got the steel fork but that’s because the carbon wasn’t available, would only have added a little on to the cost though.

ljc81
    Free Member

was that direct? thats a nice price for that.

mrhoppy

Frame & forks from Cotic, the rest came from Ribble, CRC & on-one and I built it up.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Cotic X Weekday vs Genesis Croix de fer’ is closed to new replies.