Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cotic Soul with Flows
  • SBrock
    Free Member

I am about to pull the trigger on a Cotic Soul (in orange of course) got a Reba RLT 120mm 15mm maxle on order form Merlin.
    The Soul will be my only bike but I have a set of PRO2/flows that I was going to replace with some Crests but have read some of you guys run Flows on your Souls, just looking for some opinions on this as I don’t really want to replace them with crests as it will cost me more money.

Thanks

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If you dont want to replace them then just keep them.

banks
    Free Member

Give 18bikes or Merlin a ring, probably used to these kinda questions

SBrock
    Free Member

What i was getting are the flows too much for the soul? HoweverYes I’ve done some searching lots of people running flows with big tyres for Dark Peak bashing!

FuzzyWuzzy

For real? Flows aren’t that much heavier and allow you to run 2.2+ tyres with a decent profile, even if you were never going to use 2.2+ tyres then you really have to ask if you need to swap them…?

feenster
    Free Member

I’v e some crests/proII with tubless nobby 2.25 nics on my soul. Find them very strong and stiff, and light. They might be a touch on the narrow side for bigger volume tyres, 2.35 nobby nics were too big I think. 2.1’s would be ideal I think, but cyrrently running 2.25’s which are fine. Propbably also dpeneds on the support of the tyre wall and whether tubless. I’ve wondered what flow’s would be like. I think unless your going after a light build and trying to shave grams, and want to run big tyres, you’ll be fine with the flows.

SBrock
    Free Member

Yep keeping the flows then thanks then, just needed so reassurance, I know I’m being a big girl about it!

MrGreedy

I had 355s on mine originally but switched to Flows. The 355s went on my Whippet when I bought it, and now get used for all racing/XC type stuff. That leaves the Soul free for trail centres, Peaks etc. trips – i.e. the same stuff I did on it before, but without worrying about dinging rims or changing tyres. Just gives a bit more margin for error if I’m clumsy really, plus the nicer profile with wide tyres.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Have you progressed upto 4′ drops and 6′ gap jumps?

If so, the flows are perfect. If not, get rid immediately and get some proper xc wheels

jameso

What i was getting are the flows too much for the soul?

ime wider rims (>21mm internal) are not ‘too much’ for any XC bike unless you’re a whippet racer on a weight-weenie build. Less to do with weight and strength, drops, jumps etc and all to do with tyre pressure, volume and profile. They just happen to be stronger when there’s more material there.. Heavier to spin up to speed too but that’s a pretty minor part of overall performance imo.

(I have 35mm external width rims on a 29er and had 26″ Flows on a steel 120mm fork hardtail for some time, I won’t go back to thin rims now)

SBrock
    Free Member

Yeah I’m sold on keeping the flows

DrP

I’ll buy them if not……. 😉

DrP

(seriously, email me if you want rid…)

theendisnigh
    Free Member

I’D BE INTERESTED IN SWAPPING MY CRESTS ON HOPE SP PRO EVO 2 HUBS (RED) FOR YOUR FLOWS.

SBrock
    Free Member

I’m keeping the flows thanks guys

DrP

Even if I use caps lock?

DrP 😉

Baldysquirt

I think flows are about right tbh although Arch EX look like a great middle ground. I have crests on my Pipedream (previously on my Cannondale prophet) and they plump up tyres (2.4in Advantages) just as well as my previous DT5.1s (due to shallow BST), but aren’t as strong as I’d ideally like. For the weight they’ve stood up very well to two years of peaks etc riding, but they’re prone to dings so I’d choose stronger over lighter next time round.

SBrock
    Free Member

Keeping the flows to put on my Soul to go bashing in the Dark Peak!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Soul with Flows’ is closed to new replies.