• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Cotic Soul, what axle length for square taper BB
  • puddle-rider
    Free Member

As it says on the tin! Can some one tell me what axle length i’ll need when purchasing a square taper bottom bracket for my Soul.
    Thanks guys

letmetalktomark

Depends on the cranks.

I ran my Soul with a duo Middleburn crankset on a 73×113 and also in single ring format with a 73×107 bb.

What cranks are you planning on running and in what format?

puddle-rider
    Free Member

Triple Middleburn.
    Another question what size seat clamp?

BigJohn

I have a Mk1 Soul. I used a 107 with my XT Sq Taper cranks but it was uncomfortably tight on the drive side. Occasional tapping when out of the saddle. I tried a 110 but the extra 3mm seemed to be on the non-drive side so I’ve been using 113 ever since.

Seat clamp – what age Soul? I think the Cotic website will give you that info.

cy

Depends what age. If it’s an older one with the 68mm BB then 110mm should do it (Big John I suspect you might have got a BB for E-Type front mech which would have worked with the 2.5mm spacer on the drive side). If it’s a more modern 73mm BB (late 08 onwards) then you’ll need at least 113mm, and possibly 118mm if you’re running big middle rings. The bike was optimised at that point around the HTII 50mm chainline. The Middleburn triples are (were?) old school 47.5mm hence needing the wider BB.

IHN

I tried to put a Middleburn triple on a 73/113 Shimano square taper BB and the locking ring on the crank fouled on the outer collar of the BB. A bit of Googling showed it to be reasonably common. I changed it for a 73/118 and it’s all fine.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Soul, what axle length for square taper BB’ is closed to new replies.