Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • Cotic Soul. The new one vs the old one
  • epicsteve
    Free Member

I don't find my Soul prone to chainsuck – certainly no more than any other frame I've used.

Currently trying to decide how best to build mine. I've been running it for quite a few years with 80-125mm Talas on but those, and most of the rest of tbe build kit, has gone onto an Enduro frame. It's now running Float 100's which it's still fine with, but quite tempted to go back to something like 125/130mm Vanilla's or similar (which is how I originally ran it).

crispy
    Free Member

Sigh….

Knew I shouldn't have sold my Soul last year…

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Just out of interest, if a fellow of around 6'1" decided to get one of these Soul things, what size would he go for? Just out of interest like…

(He rides a Large Blur Classic, a Med Ellsworth Moment and a Large/Long Rat of the Road and has a spare set of 130mm Revs that need using…)

chappers
    Free Member

I'm 6'1" (34" or so inside leg) and I ride a large. Just changed to a 90mm stem and even contemplating that a 70 might have been O.K. since I have a thudbuster LT seatpost. My twin brother (about 5'11 (and a bit!!)") rides a medium soda with the same thudbuster LT post and a 110mm stem. The medium is O.K. to ride with a long stem and feels about the same reach, but I think the large suits me better.

househusband

Thanks Timmo, at 6,2" and liking a long bike I guess I'll need a large, although I alwaýs like the look of a bike with a lot of seat post out of the frame.

Just out of interest, if a fellow of around 6'1" decided to get one of these Soul things, what size would he go for? Just out of interest like…

I'd suggest that this fellow you speak of go large, unless he wanted a more compact, chuckable bike – depends what he wanted it for. I'm 6'2" and have a large, lots of seatpost showing – 70mm stem. I did have a medium (1st batch of BFe's) 17.5" BFe for a brief hooligan/flat pedal phase I went through, but I'm happier on the large Soul for the riding I do now.

(For all the 'crazy' (Cy's words) orange Soul fans!)

Vortexracing

just to drift from the chainsuck discussions,

I have had my Soul for nearly 3 years 2.5 of which it had a u-turn air 'pushed' Pike on.

Last August in a bid to save weight and because I bought a DB Alpine I thought I would ditch the Pike and try a 120mm Reba (20mm team model). The damping is just as good as good as the Pike was, but I always seem to find myself hanging off the back more when descending, especially rocky steep stuff.

With the Pike set at 140mm the bike was a very, very good descender.

Anyway I have just laid my hands on some more pushed Pikes and i am going to spend the next couple of months trying both out to finally decide which will suit me best.

anybody else prefer them with 140mm for pointing down?

Just to finish, I bought the Rebas assuming they were 3.55lbs as advertised, but after weighing them last week I find they are 4.2lbs with the remote lock-out. that's only 1/2lbs les than the Pikes.

Do all fork manufacturers make up Fictitious weights or is just RS?

and before you point out it's not warrantied for 140mm I know, but if it breaks i'll just buy one of Cy's new ones.

househusband

…but if it breaks i'll just buy one of Cy's new ones.

Sounds like you're looking for an excuse to buy a new one! 😉

Vortexracing

Seeing as they are identical in geometry, I would gain nothing from having a new one, except it would be a nice orange, brand new, and shiney (goes off to revist cotics website, again) 🙂

I am more than happy with the one I have at the moment TBH.

I've just resigned myself to riding this one into the ground, metaphorically speaking that is, regardless of fork length.

cy

If you're over 6ft, go for a large. It's still only 19" centre to top on the seat tube so it's plenty compact for taller fellas. At 6ft 1in you probably want something 70-80mm stem-wise depending on bar width (shorter stem for wider bar). I'm 6ft 3in and designed the large to be pretty much the smallest frame I could get away with. I run an 80mm stem and 710mm wide bars.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Thanks guys, interesting and potentially expensive thread this.

househusband, what length forks are those?

househusband

househusband, what length forks are those?

100mm Reba SL's; perfect for the sort of riding I'm doing at the moment – lovely and nimble.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Excellent, will be ordering a pair of those next pay day 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Soul. The new one vs the old one’ is closed to new replies.