Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • cotic soul seatpost
  • dukeduvet

Hi all,

I need a seatpost for my cotic soul build.

It has to be layback and 400mm long. Not really taken by a thomson layback and thinking use sumo (carbon or alloy) or maybe a bontrager carbon. I mainly ride a mixture of trails centres, quick local rides and longer days and comfort is a priority. Previously used FSA carbon but they only make them 350mm long.

Any ideas for around £60 or experience of use/bonty?

Cheers

saladdodger
    Free Member

you are right avoiding the thomson they are admittedly good but bloody stiff

dukeduvet

cheers for the pointer on the thompson

bigbloke
    Free Member

I am currently using a Nukeproof layback seatpost, nicely made and feels good so far.

Tasso
    Free Member

Get on fine with long Tompson in straight and layback – don’t find them overy stiff but they are paired with SDG Ti Bel Airs. Quality is exceptional.

Worth looking at a Ti post though if you want a bit of strength with flex. Bikeman.com are a US Carver outlet and they do one and there must be others.

Carbon on a bike you will raise and drop the saddle on lots scares me.

Tasso
    Free Member
    wwaswas

Van Nic Ti?

chunkypaul
    Free Member

always ran a thomson on my soul and i have a glassback and have had no problems whatsoever

the soul is very springy compliant frame and i can’t really understand the need for a ti seatpost on a soul unless your back is a complete mess (imo)

smell_it
    Free Member

I was feeling a little cramped on my soul so replaced my in-line Thomson with a layback nukeproof, and I think it’s a piece of shite.  I have never had an issue with a seatpost before, they just hold my saddle in position it’s not usually that hard.  But the Nukeproof post slips down the frame, in one ride this removed all the height markings on about an inch of the post, and was pretty irritating.  Whilst this could be a frame issue it’s the third seatpost I’ve ran in the frame, and the two have been fine. To get the salsa qr to hold it up, you needed the strength of the hulk!  I’m now running it with a bolted seatclamp and carbon fitting paste and this seems to be working.  It’s not been that keen to hold saddle rails that tight either, with the saddle slipping back each ride.  This is now also done up with the strength of the hulk and some carbon fitting paste, and I’ll find out if this works tonight.  I also found I had to cut down the front clamp bolt as it was gouging away at the bottom of my saddle, I like my saddles to be flat, neither point up or down.  I have been genuinely surprised that a seatpost could be such a pain.

vorlich
    Free Member

I was advised by Cotic to avoid Thomson post as the machined ridges can wear over time resulting in slippage.

I went for an Easton EA50, ok so far…

Klunk
    Free Member

4 yrs of thomson usage no worn ridges no slippage, don’t find them particularly hard going either, can easily go all day in the saddle with no issues.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ritchey make some layback carbon seatposts, could be worth a look. Thomson layback posts are shite cos you cant drop the saddle all the way down

Timmo
    Free Member

ive got an Easton ea70 on mine, is out up to no2 on the markings and you can feel a little movememnt but has been Spot on! i know it doesnt quite fit the bill as is a 350mm but am sure they do a 400 in one of the flavours!

dukeduvet

Thanks all for help.

Carbon on a bike you will raise and drop the saddle on lots scares me

– my fsa carbon has been brilliant, but when you do slide it up and down the finish looks crap other than that no worries at all.

smell it – sounds like a bad ‘un, exactly why I dont want to splash out possibly up to £80 for the post to be a constant pain in the arse if you will! Heard that the clamps on bontys are always slipping hence asking about them.

vorlich – how have you found the easton? Does it flex a fair bit? Alloy post on my old Kona Kilauea flexes loads and is as comfy as carbon hence thinking about a use sumo alloy.

Ti post is alot of cash and then I’d want ti stem/bars! Van nic look gorgeous. As for thomson layback not sure the bend suits the looks of the soul.

Anyone have experience of using bontrager or use?

vorlich
    Free Member

vorlich – how have you found the easton? Does it flex a fair bit?

Yes, seems to, but I’ve only been out on a couple of rides with it [new build]

My old bike had an Easton Havoc, which I think was a bit stiffer.

All I can say for sure is that my Soul is comfier than my old Alu frame…

dukeduvet

Cheers vorlich looking forward to that steel spring. at least choosing the soul was an easier job than deciding which seatpost!

wwaswas

18bikes are doing a steel post, I think…

thebunk

18bikes are doing a steel post, I think…

mmm…953 steel too.

Best just to hand them a blank cheque and not look at your account though!

BandySteve
    Free Member

I’ve got a Thomson (inline) in a 2011 Soul and have had slippage issues. I keep meaning to try some carbon paste to see if that will fix it. I hope so as it is a nice post. Kind of works as an auto dropper at the moment… Shame it doesn’t auto up again.

I can also attest to the fact that, even with the Thomson, it is way comfier than my old Alu (race) frame.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘cotic soul seatpost’ is closed to new replies.