Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Cotic soul or Bfe ?
  • shaungero
    Free Member

Hi
    Could I please get some advice from the people that know what is the difference in the cotic soul and the cotic Bfe. I’ll be doing normal xc/ all mountain ridding so which would you recommend.

Cheers

StirlingCrispin

Soul.

(I don’t own a Bfe but know people that have sold them to move back to a Soul)

colournoise

What was it Cy said on this?

To paraphrase – to ride most stuff in the UK get a Soul, if you want to jump off a house get a BFe.

matther01
    Free Member

Soul, decent weight and strong enough to cope with 3-4 ft drops…at least mine did.

Assuming its the 26″? Not sure what length forks you can run on the 27.5″

shaungero
    Free Member

Cheers guys

davewalsh
    Free Member

+1 for the Soul. Mine is built quite strong with Flow wheels, bolt-through fork, a 740 bar and short stem, would be just the job for the riding you’ve described. I’ve never felt the need for anything stronger and I’m 17 stone.

mboy
    Free Member

Had a BFe. Didn’t like it. Felt like a tank, indestructible but lifeless.

The Soul rides a whole lot better.

Or… For the best of both worlds, get a Stanton Slackline! :-p

righog
    Free Member

Soul for me…Never had a Bfe though.

I decided to sell he Soul last year to buy a CX bike, went for one last ride on the Soul and thought I cant sell this, and have not regretted it…Great Bike,

shaungero
    Free Member

Awesome. Looks like the soul for me then. I have looked at the on-one bikes but I just don’t think they have the quality on the cotic’s.
    Cheers

funkmasterp

You need a medium green 2013 Bfe! There just so happens to be a great one in the classifieds at the moment. The fact that the guy selling it has the same user name as me is errrr…. Some kinda fluke. Yeah, I’ll go with that

Garry_Lager

I had a BFe with u-turn lyrics and it was a laugh – think FRANK THE TANK.
    It was a heavy mother – 3 hr ride in the hills and I’d definitely be feeling it. Cool bike, but really – who is riding a soul and thinking man, I need to hold back or I might break this? Basically no one, so it’s not like the BFe will take you places the soul cannot reach.

Soul is a decent amount more expensive is it not? So not a completely like for like comparison – makes the BFe more attractive from that POV.

Scamper
    Free Member

The Soul felt more special, but I actually preferred the Bfe. Cornered harder, went down rough stuff faster. Would get to the bottom of a run knackered from concentration, battered thighs, moving around on the bike continually but with a big smile on my face. Rear triangle was a tad dead compared to the Soul, mind. Actually wished I’d kept both frames now.

jakd95
    Free Member

I’m riding a bfe and it’s definitely the best bike I’ve had. I have 160mm Fox 36s on it and even going down serious stuff it feels like it could do so much more. It’s heavy but so capable. And a considerable amount cheaper. I’ve had a Soul too and it didn’t have the indestructible feeling that the Bfe does.

funkmasterp

Had to use my Bfe as a commuter for a couple of weeks earlier this year. I got side swiped by an idiot in a car, lost my endpapers, but utterly destroyed his mirror. Tis the Tonka truck of hardtails and makes you ride like a hooligan. Great confidence inspiring bike that can tackle pretty much anything.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

The Soul felt more special, but I actually preferred the Bfe. Cornered harder, went down rough stuff faster. Would get to the bottom of a run knackered from concentration, battered thighs, moving around on the bike continually but with a big smile on my face. Rear triangle was a tad dead compared to the Soul, mind. Actually wished I’d kept both frames now.

Couldn’t have put it better myself. The Soul was beautiful to ride, but always thought I was doing it an injustice with my poor lines. The BFe that replaced it is a hooligan, which suits my roughness better.

gixxer
    Free Member

Burly Iron BFe for me go anywhere do anything bike and i have one for sale if your interested.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

BFe if you’ve been on a skills course.
    Soul if you havent.

dan77
    Free Member

This thread makes me want a soul even more

Ben_H

The main difference between the Soul and BFe is the tubing (including the head tube). From memory, it’s 4.4lb for a medium Soul versus 5.5lb for a BFe.

I’ve had my Soul for 5 years and re-painted it last year. I really should have put a 1.5 head tube on it though…

The new one is still the same geometry and it’s still made of 853 – I’d like a new head tube, but I can’t find enough reason to change it otherwise.

righog
    Free Member

It looks like both bikes are pretty ace ! from the responses so far.

There are loads of threads about Cotics

Here is mine about the Soul

I was lucky and got my Cotic MKII second hand. One thing is for sure though the love is for a reason.

darrell
    Free Member

i have an old 853 battleship grey BFe from about 2008 and wouldnt swap it for the world

perfect tool for the job

you have to decide what the job is?

funkmasterp

Great bikes from a great company. I went to their warehouse clearance back in June. Friendly bunch of guys who seem to have a real passion for what they do. I really want a Solaris 🙁

NormalMan

funkmasterp – Member
    Great bikes from a great company. I went to their warehouse clearance back in June. Friendly bunch of guys who seem to have a real passion for what they do. I really want a Solaris

Spent a fair chunk of today riding my Solaris. Great bike. Probably not want you wanted to hear though 😉

funkmasterp

Spent a fair chunk of today riding my Solaris. Great bike. Probably not want you wanted to hear though

Just need to sell a Bfe and a Roadrat, then I can get one. Not that I’m obsessed with their bikes 😉

Scamper
    Free Member

Ben – I think the latest Soul/Bfe have dropped about half a pound each. My Bfe was 5lb on the nose, my classic Soul 4.4lbs, but I think the latest version is lighter still.

chris36860
    Free Member

I’m confused now!! Looking at buying a BFe for thrashing around over the winter. I want to be able to ride it around the likes of Brecfa but also my local DH track (slowly) as I have a Nomad bigger days and uplifts. Now not sure if I want a BFE or a Soul !!

Gixxer – how tall are you and what does that weigh roughly? I like the look of that!!

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Never ridden a soul. Have a bfe though. Built up with pikes,saint cranks etc. 1 x 10 with an expansion ring. 27 lbs which in my opinion is light enough for xc stuff and strong enough for anything else. Love it.

funkmasterp

I’ve got a 17.5″ green 2013 Bfe with dropper post and u-turn reps in the classifieds and on Pinkbike Chris. End shameless plug 😉

accu
    Free Member

was contemplating the same question,
    finally went for the Bfe…brilliant ! (as is the soul for sure)

gixxer
    Free Member

chris36860
    I’m 5′ 10″ and the bikes weight is 30 lbs only selling because i brought a cotic rocket, the bfe is one fun bike ride.
    Sent you a Email

shaungero
    Free Member

I love the ways that not one bad thing was said about either these bikes. They sound unreal. Can’t wait to get one now. It sounds like I can’t go to wrong going either of the two.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Went from a soul to a bfe back to a soul. Bfe can be a bit stiff for full days riding, but tbh the soul isn’t as comfy as it used to be before they beefed up the seat tube. Still got a certain amount of compliance though. As said above, both great bikes.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

had both and liked both but the BFe suits my riding more. Love mine.

ceepers

I don’t think there is a better hard tail frame than these two, I certainly can’t imagine any hard tail could be more fun or do anything better than my soul.

It s more than capable for anything I’m prepared to ride down anyway

iainc

mk3 Soul here, with 120 forks and a reverb. It copes admirably with variety of natural and tecky stuff I ride and I rarely miss the Orange 5 it replaced

JAG

I have a Blue BFe with 140mm Fox forks and SLX drivetrain. I love it.

It can and does do everything; trail-centres and natural riding, drops and jumps, big rock gardens, hard climbing and full on ‘downhill’

This is exactly why I bought it and why I can’t see me swapping it for a long time yet 8)

PS maybe a Soul can do the same.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Soul can do it but the BFe is stiffer so stays more composed when you really chuck it down something gnarly.

benmotogp46
    Free Member

I love my Soul. I got it when they were selling the last batch of green 26 for a discount in January this year. Cotic offered a swap for the 27.5 when I asked but I decided to stck with the 26, and I’m glad I did.

I’ve done 95% of my riding on it this year and barely touched the Five. It’s as good as people say it is and depending on the build, very aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I want a Soul now, anyone want to swap theirs for my ’08 456? Only the one massive dent in the top tube. And some cable rub and dings.

dunmail
    Free Member

I want a Soul now, anyone want to swap theirs for my ’08 456?

That’s like wife swapping your Nora Batty and wanting Elle McPherson in return 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Cotic soul or Bfe ?’ is closed to new replies.