Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Cotic Soul, now with tapered HT and 31.9 Seat tube – hooray !!!
  • Vortexracing

having put this in the BFe thread

Now if only Cy would do a Soul in that green, 44ht and a 30.9/31.6 seattube.

he has nearly done it

just needs a run to be done in that BFe green and it’s sorted

this is on the BM thread

http://bikemagic.com/gear/first-looks/cotic-soul-updated-with-tapered-head-tube.html

Looks nice

mintimperial

Oooh. Thank **** it’s not out in green though, I would have been completely incapable of resisting if it had been.

Vortexracing

Just spoke to Paul at Cotic and they don’t foresee doing a run in green yet.

It also has routing for a dropper post under the top tube, just like the new Bfe AND it’s slightly lighter!

I can see me changing from my MK2 to one of these, just to be able to a non fugly dropper post.

Now the only question is stick with black as per my existing one or go Orange? 😕

of course as soon as I buy one the buggers will do a run of them in green, just watch 🙄

Scamper
    Free Member

Nice, but with a price increase. Orange is the Soul colour, non of this green nonsense! Think i’ll stick with my mark 2.

packer
    Free Member

Wonder why they went with a tapered headtube rather than a 44mm one like on the Solaris… any ideas?

kelvin

Packer, your answer is in here : http://cotic.co.uk/geek/tapered

packer
    Free Member

Thanks for the link! All sounds good to me.

mattjg
    Free Member

Isn’t the 27.2 seat tube a ‘feature’, for more flex?

MSP

will the larger diameter seat tube stiffen it up around the bottom bracket?

kelvin

Matt, the Classic Soul, that takes a 27.2mm seat post, is still available : http://cotic.co.uk/product/classic_soul : you choose

chiefgrooveguru

will the larger diameter seat tube stiffen it up around the bottom bracket?

The tube itself is 15% stiffer so it would make the frame slightly stiffer. Looks like a good selection of updates.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I wonder how much cost (to Cotic) the tapered head tube adds?

If the only reason is aesthetics it seems a bit a weak argument to me when a 44mm head tube might well be cheaper and offer greater flexibility to the end user.

Vortexracing

If the only reason is aesthetics it seems a bit a weak argument to me when a 44mm head tube might well be cheaper and offer greater flexibility to the end user.

I think it’s weight and strength as well as looks that they based their decision on

whoo hoo

geetee1972
    Free Member

Having spoke to Paul it was the lack of contact area at the TT/HT junction that made the decision for them.

well that sounds eminently sensible. Glad it wasn’t just because it looked awkward although I would still understand it if that were the reason (weak as it is).

kelvin

Yep, different diam top tube in the Soul. The Solaris/Simple/BFe/Rocket all have a far fatter top tube, which wraps enough around a full 44mm head tube. The Soul has a smaller top tube that need to mate to a slimmer head tube area. The tapered headtube is also lighter.

timc
    Free Member

will there be an XL? 20.5/21″ version?

mattjg
    Free Member

Kelvin I chose last year and have a Soul 2, errr ‘Classic’.

At least it took a few years for my Blur to become ‘Classic’, with the Soul it’s just months!

Vortexracing

also just noticed they are doing a ‘ickle’ 14.5″ as well

bikeneil
    Free Member

mattjg – Member
    Kelvin I chose last year and have a Soul 2, errr ‘Classic’.

At least it took a few years for my Blur to become ‘Classic’, with the Soul it’s just months!

I guess it depends when you buy. I bought a Blur “Classic” in 2005 and just 2 weeks later they announced the LT!!!

I, for sure will be getting the new Soul. It looks ACE!!!

cy

It think in all fairness we’ve run the same design since October 2009 until now. Not a bad innings!

The taper tube is lighter and works more efficiently than a 44mm one would on the Soul, but I’m not going to lie to you, it looks way better too and was definitely a factor in my thinking.

No plans for an XL. Considering the Solaris XL isn’t exactly flying off the shelf I can’t it happening either.

cy

Missed one! Yes, the bigger seat tube makes it a little stiffer around the BB. As it’s still got the same size top tube as the previous frame the overall frame stiffness isn’t too different, but it is a bit more crisp under power.

Regarding the seatpost size, we were concerned too, which is why we’ve tested it for a long time. To be honest, I don’t find any problem riding massive days out on the new frame with a bigger seatpost. High quality posts have thinner walls in the bigger sizes anyway so it’s still a nice ride.

timc
    Free Member

cy – Member
    No plans for an XL. Considering the Solaris XL isn’t exactly flying off the shelf I can’t it happening either.

Fair enough, simple economics i guess, a shame though as ill just be buying from a competitor now, riding a second choice bike.

on another note, improve your marketing & you will sell more bikes including those left over XL’s 🙂

Im ready for the STW backlash 😀

honourablegeorge

I thought Cotic had improved their marketing.

Short of draping that cute girl form the Rocketman video across a Soul in a bikini (Note to Cy – I will buy a new Soul if you do this), they can’t really do much more. Small company like them isn’t going to buy full page magazine spreads.

timc
    Free Member

know a lot about marketing in 2012 i see honourablegeorge 8)

mattjg
    Free Member

It think in all fairness we’ve run the same design since October 2009 until now. Not a bad innings!

For sure. Perfectly content with my Oct ’11 frame, not bothered it’s now been ‘replaced’, products have to move on. Good luck with it.

honourablegeorge

I know what appeals to my own demographic…..

Vortexracing

Marketing or not, he has sold it to me, or will be doing tomorrow when I get into work and make a phone call.

Just need to be awake all night deciding on Black or Orange 🙄

Anybody interested in a 16″ Black MK 2 Soul, Hope headset and Hope Stainless BB?

bikeneil
    Free Member

You know it’s got to be Orange. I know mine will be :o)

Vortexracing

I could get the black one and Mrs V wouldn’t suspect a thing.

apart from the big box being delivered on Friday that is. 🙄

bikeneil
    Free Member

It’s nice to have a change. Even if it does upset the apple cart, it won’t last long 😉

Vortexracing

I’ll buy her a bunch of flowers, that should sort it. 😉

honourablegeorge

Vortexracing – Member

Anybody interested in a 16″ Black MK 2 Soul, Hope headset and Hope Stainless BB?

Why not keep the top half of your headset, and the BB? Why would you ditch good quality stuff like that?

Vortexracing

Why not keep the top half of your headset, and the BB? Why would you ditch good quality stuff like that?

I thought it would be easier to sell a whole 1&1/8″ headset and buy a new Hope tapered one, money wise it works out nearly the same TBH.

Plus I have a new Race Face BB that I got with my shiney new Race Face cranks.

mattjg
    Free Member

Serious question: what makes this a big enough upgrade to sell a M2 and buy a MK3?

(Orange. Ferrarris are red. Souls are orange).

Vortexracing

TBH, have just sold a jump bike for about £200 and I have had my Mk 2 for 2 years, so the time is right. The money has been freed up and if I just put the dosh in the bank, it will just dissapear on other stuff.

Plus, I did run a Gravity dropper on my MK 2 and thought it was horrible, worked, but looked fugly, this new Soul means I can get a reverb to fit it.

Honest enough response?

Cheezpleez

Cy, is the 26″ Simple dead and gone forever? Nearly bought a Custard one years ago and I’ve always regretted not going for it. 🙁

mattjg
    Free Member

Of course. Get one, go wear it out.

mattjg
    Free Member

And it does look nice.

Reassuring to see so much seatpost on that pic, mine’s like that, more than once I’ve been told it’s too small for me, it’s way fun to ride tho.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Love my mk2 but this has me considering an upgrade mainly for the dropper post capability

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Soul, now with tapered HT and 31.9 Seat tube – hooray !!!’ is closed to new replies.