Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Cotic Soul….. Now I understand !
  • excitable1
    Free Member

Just took my new Cotic Soul out for it’s maiden outing round Macclesfield.

I planned on doing a 36k route but I was enjoying it so much I extended it to a Big Macc’ route of 52k.

Slung it down Charity Lane and Shooters Clough at speed, no problem. It climbs like a climbing thing, and was no problem at all on some big techy cheeky drops I know. Even took it down a pixie down hill in the forest and it coped fine. I actually got round quicker than I did when I did the same route on my FS !

Need to think about the seat though, my arse is killing me.

Those who are thinking of getting a Soul… do it, I can’t recommend it enough !

bol

Problem is, other bikes just tend not to feel the same again after a good steel hardtail.

excitable1
    Free Member

Agreed. Who needs FS !

wisepranker
    Free Member

Agreed, just sold my FS to fund a nice steel hardtail 29er 🙂

br
    Free Member

Problem is, other bikes just tend not to feel the same again after a good steel hardtail.

And then ride an equivilent Ti HT, and there really is no going back.

banks
    Free Member

Don’t need to hear this lalalalalalala

P.s photos?

fizzicist
    Free Member

They really are rather good aren’t they? I took mine down some stupidly big rocky descents with 2.5″ rubber fitted, then cleaned up, stuck some skinny rubber on and did an 80k xc race three days later. It just does everything and rides like a bike should.

swingbing
    Free Member

stupidly big rocky descents with 2.5″ rubber

For me, big tyres with a high profile are the key to making it ride the way I want. They take out a fair bit of extra sting from the rear. Love mine.

yunki
    Free Member

I still can’t quite believe mine.. I keep thinking it must just be new bike honeymoon period, but then every time I take it out it surprises me again with how excellent it is..

I’m a proper sceptic when I see things getting as much hype as the Soul has.. but it’s totally warranted..

I effin’ loves it..

Can’t wait for tomorrow afternoon to get out on it again, look for some new ascents to slay, skip down some old descents with a fresh spring in my step, and then turn around and ride back up ’em again..

Scapegoat

Getting interested here…. what forks are the “optimum” length for one of these, and as I can’t find it anywhere else, what does a medium Soul frame weigh?

swingbing
    Free Member

Generally accepted that they ride good with between 100 and 130 of travel, though the new ones are rated up to 140. Mine stays at 130. Medium frame is 4.4lbs.

Vortexracing

I have had three of the buggers!!

Can’t see myself ever being without one. 😀

I found eventually after much messing around that 125mm – 130mm is best for me.

I think a medium weighs 4.4lbs

Scamper
    Free Member

Was surprised how well a 140mm fork climbed and cornered on a Soul, but concluded it has as much do with forkset up and fork type. Currently running 20mm 140 Revs with more sag than usual, slow rebound and more negatvie air until i bother to space it down to 130. Less sag and a less plush set up didn’t quite work as well for me in anything but fast gentle corners.

fizzicist
    Free Member

I run Magura Thors, set up nice and soft. It climbs fantastically with the forks wound down and then pop the travel out and ride off the side of your house! I’ve had a set of Reba’s on it as well and it’s a lovely bike with 100mm forks, but an adjustable 100-140mm fork just brings another dimension.

chiefgrooveguru

I’m getting more and more attached to mine, after 18 months together. Tomorrow it’s going out for a pootle with the wife, last night I went on a “how much singletrack can I ride in a hour from my house, and how many Strava segments can I make a mark on whilst doing so” mission, and last Tuesday we rode some bermy droppy jumpy DH tracks before joining a fast group singletrack ride.

I have Float 140RL forks which are closer to 130mm Revs in length. Run them fairly firm and the rebound middling (much slower than I used to). 711mm bars, 50mm stem, flat pedals, dropper post, sticky Rubber Queen on the front, fast X-King on the back (both big volume tubeless 25/28psi), and on corners I’m very much weighting outside pedal and inside hand and making sure it’s the rear that drifts first. I guess it’s built up more like a lightweight BFe than a typical Soul build but at ~26lbs it doesn’t feel a drag uphill and it is surprisingly smooth when you’re munching the miles in the saddle.

mboy
    Free Member

And then ride an equivilent Ti HT, and there really is no going back.

Geometry and design are 95% of it, the material is only the last 5% IMO. And it’s all too easy to make a poor Ti frame, whereas it’s much harder to cock up a steel frame I’d say.

And I own a very well made and designed Ti frame, but it really is probably only 5% better than the steel frame it replaced (Like for like swap too). It’s over 1lb lighter though, which is useful, and it really is rather nice! But a good steel HT frame really is still where it’s at for number of bangs for your buck.

excitable1
    Free Member

Here you go. Pictures from today…. and yes I’m running a 3×9 but it’s what I had on the old HT it wasn’t that old and it’s in good nick. Planning to run it into the ground and then change it to a 2×10.
    I’ve gone just above mid rebound on the forks, especially with the fast rocky descents today but gone with with less sag. Seemed good enough.

matther01
    Free Member

I have finally decided to get a Soul instead of a Bfe, but can anyone recommend a decent/fairly inexpensive pair of forks with adjustable travel up to 140mm with a tapered steerer?

Have been looking everywhere for some Sektor RL QR15 tapered and can’t bloody find any!

excitable1
    Free Member

What’s your budget ?

johnners
    Free Member

Vortexracing – Member

I have had three of the buggers!!

Why?

Serious question, I’ve had an original since they first came out and it’s carried on being the great bike it always was – why have you had 3? Have they broken?

matther01
    Free Member

excitable1 – About £400. I did think about getting some Rev’s or Sektors and just dropping them to fixed 130mm?

Any suggestions?

Northwind

It’s the bike I miss… TBH I sold it for the right reasons, and replaced it with bikes that ticked the boxes better for me, but truth is not one of them was as good. Differently targeted, but not as good at what they do. Ragley Ti is the only other hardtail I’ve tried which can hold its own compared to the Soul

So now I have a Soda.

bol

Ah, a pang of nostalgia and jealousy for the Soda. I sold mine for a Solaris. While the Solaris is better for me, I so wish it didn’t have to be one or the other. It’s not that it is much better than a Soul, but boy does it make you feel special.

chris_db
    Free Member

Allterraincycles have Fox Float 140 RLs for £400.

excitable1
    Free Member

Beat me too it Chris.

mather01-There are quite a few places selling 2011 Fox forks with big discounts. Also try your LBS. I got mine with a big discount because simply because someone wanted a different fork on the bike they’d ordered. unused with £200 quid off !

swingbing
    Free Member

Went for a ride earlier and could not stop smiling.

Rev’s dropped to 130 on mine, 2.4 conti MKII front and rear, 711 bars, built in a similar vein to chiefgrooveguru’s by the sounds of it. Guessing a similar weight too. Absolutely can’t get enough of it, don’t feel that it stops me riding anything short of a full on gnar downhill course. Just so zippy and responsive yet comfortable and forgiving. Now I’m gushing…

kayak23

Cough…..Prince Albert…..Cough…. 🙂

Stumpi
    Free Member

Question, and humor me here. Are all Souls steel?
    Rode with a guy today and saw his Soul, said to him, cool, old Skool steel, to which he said, no, it’s ally.
    I was confused at it looked like a steel bike, but not being an expert on em didn’t want to comment.

Stumpi
    Free Member

Question, and humor me here. Are all Souls steel?
    Rode with a guy today and saw his Soul, said to him, cool, old Skool steel, to which he said, no, it’s ally.
    I was confused at it looked like a steel bike, but not being an expert on em didn’t want to comment.

chiefgrooveguru

Yes. I hate to think how wobbly/heavy an alu alloy frame with tubes that skinny would be!

Vortexracing

why have you had 3? Have they broken?

First one was a custard one (MK1), fancied a change after 2 years and the piece of mind that the newer frames (MK2)had a warranty for 140mm forks, which is what I was using at the time.

Then when the new one came out with the ability to us a dropper post (MK3), I went for one of those.

and non have ever broken.

chiefgrooveguru

Then when the new one came out with the ability to us a PRETTIER dropper post (MK3), I went for one of those.

😉

mattjg
    Free Member

OP great to read of you having fun on your bike. That’s what they’re for.

120mm Rebas on mine, had thought of spacing down to 100mm but cba, does all I need for uppy-downy mincing around the Surrey Hills. (But Cy says 100mm rocks and he made it).

Not so enamoured with Mk 3 looks myself, like the skinny tubes of my Mk 2, in proper orange.

(Still fancy a Ti HT tho. Just do).

cy

Thank you. I love you all. Smiling a lot.

😀

drapper
    Free Member

I want the Soda back! To add to my Cotic Fleet :-/

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Souls sound ace, anyone want a 456ti for one?

chiefgrooveguru

No thanks – I’m enjoying having my Soul dialled in to my liking far too much, I keep finding that glorious state of fast flow (buzzing the tyre of the bike in front or having a restful wait for everyone to catch up at the end of each stretch of singletrack) on recent rides! 😀 But I’m sure someone will…

mt
    Free Member

Got a Souls and a Soda. Love them both. Would consider an offer for the Soda.

Put a soft Thor (100 to 140)on the Soul, fantastic.

chiefgrooveguru

I keep meaning to take a decent current photo of it when it’s shiny but it’s rarely clean for long, so here’s one from an unusually chilled ride yesterday (predecessor relegated to wifebike in the background):

spudly1979
    Free Member

stop it! Stop it! I’m building a cheap hardtail at the moment, and keep thinking….that frame would be perfect….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Soul….. Now I understand !’ is closed to new replies.