• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by FOG.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • cotic soul – classic vs mk3
  • ittaika
    Free Member

alrighty, following the theft of my mk1 soul (pre CEN), the insurance people have agreed to pay out for a replacement – which is grand!

however, do i go for the classic soul (mk2) with the straight headset and 27.2 seatpost or the mk3 with the tapered headset and larger seatpost?

has anyone used both? does the mk3 ride just like the old one?

i like the slim lines of the classic but am worried that, as cy puts it on the cotic site, the classic won’t be future-proof. are fork manufacturers abandoning 1 and 1/8th steerers or will there be 100mm forks in that size for a few years yet?

chiefgrooveguru

Judging by Loco’s post about 2013 Revs being only tapered steerer, I’d get the new one (which looks slimmer in larger sizes and in black – quelle surprise!) You’re not going to feel a compliance difference from the fatter seat tube itself though different seatposts will feel different when you’re sitting down. Should be a little stiffer when you stomp on the pedals though.

ittaika
    Free Member

cheers chiefgrooveguru – will need to have a look at the rockshox site. the loco post is food for thought. this new bike business is tricky!

Cheezpleez

Oh but the classic is prettier. Unless you have to have a dropper post, I’d go for a classic. ‘Standard’ steerers will be around for a year or two yet, I’ll wager, even if old stock.

ittaika
    Free Member

gotta agree with you there cheezpleez 🙂

in a few years i could always use some kind of angle-grinder to shave a tapered steerer down to the right width. can’t be that hard surely…

FOG

I have just bought a Mk3 which I really love but was converted to the cause by a ride on a Mk2/classic. I don’t think the difference is great enough to worry about. Mk3 will work for years to come. Anyway when I asked about a classic there were only limited numbers in limited sizes so your decision may be made for you unless Si is ordering any more of the classic.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘cotic soul – classic vs mk3’ is closed to new replies.