• This topic has 21 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Cotic Soul Builds
  • Surfr
    Free Member

Is anyone willing to share how much their Cotic Souls cost to build? I’ve got a craving and I’m wondering how much of the bike I can get with cyclescheme (max 1000 quid) and how many notes I’d need to drop on top of that.

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

I ended up spending £1100 on my Cotic by buying a Trek 8000 in the end of year sales, nicking all the bits from it (Mostly LX with Reba’s and Bonty finishing kit, which is pretty good) Selling the frame on (I got £180 for that ;0) and then transferring it all onto the Cotic frame.

That was about 2 years ago, and I think that you could quite easily do it for less now as there are some great deals out there, and also more bikes that run a longer fork, which the Soul seems to work better with.

All the best,

TR

Surfr
    Free Member

That is a great Idea. I’d not considered that at all. Off to look at sale bargains now 🙂

cy

You’ll struggle to get something through Cyclescheme half decent because of the limit, and regardless of what people say there are certain legal issues with ‘topping up’. The suggestion above is a good one though; get either a £1,000 hardtail with the best spec you can find on the scheme and do a frame swap, or the sales.

jaycmx1
    Free Member

been in keswick bikes today for the first time ever and they had a soul frame with rockshox reba forks and a couple of other bits brand new.499 on offer dont know if they do cycle to work though

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Was it a medium in Custard yellow?

djglover
    Free Member

buy a bike on the scheme in the sales, sell the frame and get a soul.

I just got a Whyte 905 for £750 quid, great spec (the forks are only OK) so this is theoretically possible for me.

sturmey
    Free Member

syncross saddle, xt shodow rear mech,xt front mech, sram 990 cassette, sram 991 chain, xtr shifters, xt chainset £300. thomson stem and seatpost, easton ea 70 bars, hope headset, ergon grips £210 soul frame £410 rs revelations 426 air u-turn £220 avid juicy 5s £120. Crossmax ride wheels off my old inbred then need to rebuild the original rear wheel off the inbred then sell it to off set the cost. £1260 at the moment less what I get for the inbred. Just needs putting together when the frame arrives.

jaycmx1
    Free Member

it was custard yellow with silver rebas.not sure of the size but it looked like a medium.would have bought it myself at that price if the girlfriend wasnt stood next to me.ha ha.forks not the best colour but i thought the frames were usually 499?

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Jay, I suspect that one may have been hanging around for a few months. Was someone’s custom build that they only had briefly & had to sell (IIRC). Has a tiny dent on one of the tubes, i think. I almost bought that as a complete bike in August, luckily medium was too big!

snakebite
    Free Member

Surfr, give the guys at Swinnertons stoke a bell, some good deals on cyclescheme builds etc wink wink…

Surfr
    Free Member

I’ve spent a bit of time shopping for donor hardtails and the best so far I’ve found is a Merlin Malt 2. Full XT Disc groupset, Reba Team forks, Mavic XC717 rims, Race Face Evolve XC finishing kit, WTB Rocket V saddle. £955 at the moment on the merlincycles website.

I put all the components into CRC and they total 1250 without the frame, so this looks to be a good bargain to me. Anyone know of a better offer? Total bike price must be <1000 notes to qualify for cyclescheme.

nickname
    Free Member

Interesting Surfr. I’m looking for a new bike, I just can’t make up my mind on what frame and it’s doing my nut in. I don’t fancy building up one myself as I’ve done that before and it will take me over a month by the time I get the all bits. I just wanna get out and ride 😉

I may do something similar and just get something in the sales – or take a look at the merlin range. All the kit is top quality, so then if I don’t like the ride, I can just swap out the frame and it will still be cheaper than building it up myself 🙂

Surfr
    Free Member

I’ve decided to go for the 09 Merlin Malt 2 with Rebas, XT, Race Face and WTB kit on black Mavic XC717s. I couldn’t find a better deal on a cyclescheme registered shop.

Now to order the Soul. Do they have particular build dates? when might the colours change next? Not that black or custard are bad.

brooess
    Free Member

Buy mine. 2006 medium in Black. Pace RC40’s 717 on Hope XC, Hope Mono M4, Thomson, Easton, SDG, XT all over. 6-8 months use total. Lovely bike to ride but just want to rationalise my ‘stable’

brucecairnsAThotmailDOTcom if yr interested??

cy

Surfr, we hold stock and we’re due a new shipment in a couple of weeks so we’ll be fully loaded for months. Colours aren’t changing.

Surfr
    Free Member

Brooess thanks but unless you are registered with cyclescheme and are selling for under 1K then I can’t help you.

Cy cheers for the info. I hope to be in touch asap. just waiting to hear back from Merlin re. quote now.

Shack
    Free Member

I’ve just built one up mainly from existing parts, so far the bill is only £355, including a second hand frame. Just need to find a decent set of disc brakes and I’m away. Priced the build as new and came in at £1450. That idea of buying a bike and stripping the parts is a good idea. Have a look at Pauls cycles, the diamond back axis with Recons and XT has to be a bargain at £580

cy

Shack, drop me a line. We’ve got some Magura brakes you might be interested in.

DezB
    Free Member

As Halfords are the main C2W dealer, wouldn’t this be a good deal?
    Boardman Pro
    Rebas, Juicy 7s, SRAM X0,X9, Ritchey wheels and kit, etc. £850

Get a silly size from a shop and you might get a discount.

Surfr
    Free Member

Cycle2Work is not the same as Cyclescheme unfortunately. I believe there are 3 schemes running in the UK at present.

DezB
    Free Member

Cycle2Work is not the same as Cyclescheme unfortunately. I believe there are 3 schemes running in the UK at present

Blimey! And still none at my crappy work.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Soul Builds’ is closed to new replies.