Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Cotic Soul and 140mm?
  • chris_db
    Free Member

Got an option on a Soul but the forks I have are 140 Vans. Will I die if I build it up with them?

Klunk
    Free Member

which frame version soul is it ? mk1&2 were rated to 130 though i’ve run 140mm talas for 7 years on a mk2 with no issues

NormalMan

As above, which Soul? The mk3 can handle 140mm for sure as it has the geometry info with them fitted on the Cotic site.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matther01
    Free Member

If its a mk3 it’s fine…but 120mm was always the best IME (ducks for cover)

P20

Mk3 Soul with Van 140mm. I only built it last night so I can’t really tell you, but I can’t see any problems

Untitled by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

fathomer

Pretty sure later mk2’s are ok with 140mm as well. Couldn’t tell you what there like though, mines always had 120mm.

Can’t you lower the forks?

P20

Older vans you could. Pretty sure the 140s are fixed

chiefgrooveguru

If its a mk3 it’s fine…but 120mm was always the best IME (ducks for cover)

Mk 2 is good with 140mm too. And IMO better than at 120mm. 😛

vincienup
    Free Member

Depends where you’re riding. I had very heavily sagged float 150’s on my mk2 for a bit and it was fine where I rode.

I’d suggest taking a look at the ‘history of the soul’ page on comic’s site and work out how old the frame you’re looking at is. Mine was a final iteration mk2 with the extra gussets and stuff so I figured it was a bit stronger. AFAIK the geo was designed around 120 so also depends how slack you want it.

Cheeky, but mine will be up for sale shortly and float 32’s will definitely adjust internally… 😉

honourablegeorge

Run my Mk2 at 140, love it, zero problems.

luffy105
    Free Member

It’s a mk1 😉

Northwind

Mk2 wasn’t warrantied for 140mm but a lot of people did it anyway. Me included! But, imo it works better with less.

amedias
    Free Member

MK1 not recommended over 130mm but A2C on Fox normally lower than some others like Marzocchi so a Fox 140 could easily = 130mm Bombers, thats the problem with a travel recommendation rather than and A2C.

MK2+ would be OK anyway, but I personally don;t get on with anything over 120mm on my soul.

If you’re going to swap to a shorter fork and the Vans are 1 1/8th and you want to sell them to me then mail in profile 😉

fathomer

I stand corrected 😀

Scapegoat

Having tried both, I agree the soul rides well with 120 Reba, but even better on rough stuff with the 140 Thor I put on last week.b. My lad had the Thor on his mk2 and completely failed to explode or set on fire. I read somewhere that the mk 1&2 travel limit of 130 was more to do with the type of riding a bigger fork was expected to be subject to, rather than a geometry issue. As the geo has remained unchanged and is the same as the more robust BFe, as long as you don’t huck a mk2 25ft to flat you should be fine.

ceepers

i’ve got a tapered 120mm recon gold tk Rockshox fork going cheap that came off my soul if that helps?

FOG

I started with 140mm Revs but it never felt quite right so I spaced them down to 120mm and It really improved the handling. However, inevitably when I stripped the forks I rebuilt them with slightly different oil levels and air pressures which might be partly responsible for the changes in handling.

chiefgrooveguru

Mk2 wasn’t warrantied for 140mm…

Yes it was!

In 2010 it had the big revision to pass CEN, ovalised top tube, down tube gussets, and made strong enough for 140s. That’s the Mk2 version. (Mk3 is big seat tube and tapered head tube). It’s the exact same geometry as the BFe, which is generally considered best with 140mm forks (takes up to 160). It has a different personality with the longer forks but I certainly prefer it.

Northwind

Ah- so there’s different versions of “mk 1” then? I’ve always said mine was a mk2 but I guess it must have been the last of the mk 1s. Consider me corrected!

luffy105
    Free Member

The frame in question is mine. I don’t know how to put a picture of it up here and I can’t seem to find the history of Soul link but when I bought it I was told it was definitely a MK1 because of the old decals and the fact that the cable routing is along the top of the top tube rather than underneath the top tube.

Edit: Having found the link, I suspect that this frame is from the fist batch of Soul frames. Looking at the pictures it appears the cable routing quickly went to the underside of the top tube

mintimperial

Mk2 wasn’t warrantied for 140mm…

Yes it was![/quote]

Seconding this, I had a Mk 2 and ran it with 140-110 Talas for a couple of years before replacing with a Mk 3 (mostly to run a Reverb). Cotic definitely said this was ok at the time.

Anyway, the Soul runs brilliantly at 140mm. I generally run mine at 110mm because it suits my fairly tame local riding better, but when I head out somewhere that bit rockier or steeper the 140mm helps keep me out of bother.

chris_db
    Free Member

Hey Luffy105 I’ll take it…… 🙂

luffy105
    Free Member

Yippee. Now I can start the hunt for a frame that fits me. 🙂

Anyone got a tatty soul / clockwork etc frame going cheap? Must be a large frame. The only prob with this soul was that it was sold to me as a large but was only 17″ and made for an uncomfortable pub/hack bike.

Chips and scratches not a problem as will probably repaint.

vincienup
    Free Member

It’s a bit more complicated than that… 😉

There are several stages of change even within the broad ‘mk1’, ‘mk2’ etc. Cy obviously believes in a process of continual improvement! I’ve just had a poke at the Cotic site, and can’t see the incredibly helpful page on the Soul that used to live in ‘geek’… It detailed the odd changes made over time within the mark 1’s and 2’s. Even stuff like adding that extra middle cable eyelet to the TT… Apparently Cy didn’t want it as he didn’t like the idea of an extra well along the tube that could cause a weak spot.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Soul and 140mm?’ is closed to new replies.