Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Cotic Soul 27.5 or Pace RC127?
  • steelfan
    Free Member

I’m looking to get a new steel hardtail and cant decide between the Cotic or Pace. Have previously ridden a first gen Soul and it was briliiant but that has now been passed on to a good mate. What would you go for?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Pace customer support and warrany dealings use to be woeful (loads of threads on here.) I’d do some research to see if things have improved before buying one.

chestrockwell

As above. Cotic seem decent to deal with, Pace anything but (These days). I’d be going for the Cotic.

Actually I probably be looking at the Orange P7 or Stif Morf if I was in the market for a steel HT.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chiefgrooveguru

Cotic are great to deal with, really great. My 26″ Soul was fantastic and I have no doubt the 27.5 version is equally good.

mt
    Free Member

I’d never choose Pace, Cotic every time. Many reasons, the ride, the design, the customer service, the quality (at the price). One particular reason that put me of Pace forever.

slimjim78
    Free Member

The Pace frames are supposed to ride ace, but, rack mounts?..
    The Soul looks great on paper and has many happy customers. I’ve ridden Soul 26ers and loved em too.
    The P7 looks like the one is splash my cash on currently though.
    Or leftfield choice, NS Eccentric Cro-mo – I’m riding one currently and the geometry is spot on for me.

rickon
    Free Member

Not steel, but if you’re looking for progressive and modern geometry, and amazing backup from the UK. Then worth checking out the Bird Zero TR

jimmy

I’ll vouch for the Soul 27.5. Simply amazing bike, really. I loved the 26″, went 27.5 to use a build kit and never looked back. Loads of fun and very capable on meandering local trails to the gnarliest of the Golfie.

I am, however, tempted by a P7…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Not steel,

So not interested.

OP Cotic are a great company and make great bikes, I just missed out on @chief’s 2012 26 Soul frame and will either try and find another good one also considering a new 26 BFe to go with my other 26 BFe 🙂

rickon
    Free Member

Just seen the OP’s username. Probably not the Bird then!

As a note, the P7 frames are all sold out from Orange until late July. So you may be lucky and find one in a shop, but it’s a bit unlikely. Full builds are more chance of getting hold of though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@rick nothing against the Bird you understand, it would be quite amusing for me to buy one but I’m the same – steel only

iain1775
    Free Member

Stanton?
    (Speaking as someone who recently bought and loves a BFe 275, can’t help wondering if a Stanton might have been even better)

fruitbat

I spent some time debating this very question when I was treating myself to a retirement present earlier this year. I was looking for something similar in shape and weight to my Gary Fisher Big Sur but with upgraded geometry and wheel size! I wanted to buy a frame only and build it up myself.

My shortlist included the Pace RC127, Cotic Soul 27.5, Bird Zero TR and Orange P7. In the end I decided that the Cotic would suit my riding aspirations and that the others were too ‘radical’ for me. The Soul is optimized for a 120mm fork while the others tend to default to 140mm. (Merlin also were selling 120mm Rebas for a good price). The Soul was also the lightest of the steel frames.
    Other factors include such details as cable routing – the Pace is particularly unpleasant, to my pedantic eye, in this area.

I’ve had the Cotic a few weeks now and I have to say that it is a most pleasant ride.

In fact Mrs Fruitbat decided that she needed an immediate upgrade too (rather than wait for her retirement) – so I built her an orange one.

Here’s mine –

and here’s her’s –

jonnym92

I have the Pace. I like it. I haven’t ridden a Soul so not sure how to compare it, but I’ve had no issues with Pace support or the service from them.
    140mm up front it can take most things on, it really climbs very, very well too, there is a review on Enduro mag which could be worth a look.. I have used this on everything from local loops to uplift days at Antur Stiniog. Not sure what’s up with the cable routing it’s pretty much down the tubes which is where it should be??
    Not the greatest picture as it is somewhat stealth, minus the cranks, but here you go..

steelfan
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I’ve decided that the Cotic is the way to go.

nuke

Good choice 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

@fruitbat – lovely and enjoy the retirement 8)

slimjim78
    Free Member

Not sure you can go wrong with any of the suggestions tbh, but fruitbat has a point over the recommended forks lengths. I rode a Soul 26er with 120mm for years and climbed everything, I never felt over biked with it.
    That maybe because I’m a bit shit though.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Soul 27.5 or Pace RC127?’ is closed to new replies.