Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Cotic Soul
  • matt23
    Free Member

Been saving for a Cotic Soul but have just seen the Cove Handjobs for £300 at CRC……..which would you guys go for?

The bike is gunna be used as the frames are designed for trail/xcx riding in Wales.

Advantage of getting the handjob is £200 in me pocket for some nicer forks maybe instead of the 120mm rebas!

metalheart
    Free Member

I used to have a Handjob. I didn’t really ‘gel’ with it.

I got rid and got a Soul. That was about 5 years ago. The only ways you get me to give it up now would be to prise it out of my dead fingers (or swap it for one of them snazzy new ones),

But then I *might* be just a little biased… :mrgreen:

edoverheels
    Free Member

I have a Soul with 120mm Rebas. Perfect. Simple and low maintenance. Again, wouldn’t swap except for another one.

tuffty
    Free Member

I’ve built a soul 120mm Rebas as well, absolutely love it 🙂

donal
    Free Member

The price difference, when spread over the life of the frame, is minimal. In addition, you can always upgrade the damper is whichever forks you get at a later stage. Get the frame which you really want as you will (may) regret it if you compromise. For what it is worth, I had an older version of the soul for the last number of years. I have just replaced it with the newer version. From an objective perspective, the advantages of the new version of the soul over the handjob are: the tapered headtube; the ability to take a 140mm fork; (better) dropper post compatibility and cable guides; and great resale value. In the end of the day, trust your gut feeling.

richard1972
    Free Member

I’ve got a Soul with a Fox 32 F120 Fit shimmed to 110mm and just love it!! Such a fun bike bike to ride, none of my other bikes get a look in now.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Yup, had several longer travel hardtails. Now have a MK1 Soul and the only thing I’d swap it for would be a current model Soul or maybe a Soda…

chives
    Free Member

Soul for me – though I’ve not ridden a Cove – but I’d struggle to imagine it would feel better! 120mm SID’s ’cause I’d already got ’em 🙂

Single speed Soul

nowmefeelinit
    Free Member

I have no first-hand experience of either but my mind is made up after I’ve researched this to death – Soul frame is ordered. Building it with a 120 mm Reba RLT Dual Air. Roll on end of January.

jfb01
    Free Member

The reason you are only hearing from Cotic owners is because you did not mention Cove in the title.
    Having said that I bought a Handjob & built it up with 120mm Sid’s – 23.6lbs.It far exceeded my expectations ,comphtable ,fast, brilliant handling on singletrack.I do not think you would go wrong with either frame

Scapegoat

Just to add to the confusion, Soul with 120mm Rebas here. What else would you want? 😀

househusband

I’ve seen too many photos of Handjob frames that have creased/folded; I know one personally – and have seen at least two others on here over the years.

120mm is the Soul’s ‘sweet spot’.

myorangecrush
    Free Member

Think we need a new thread – “in praise of the Soul”. Went out on my 2010 Orange crush today. Felt like a girlfreind I should get round to dumping. The magic has gone since getting a rocket, and now I want a light (ish) hardtail for XC and not so crazy days. Looks like Orange have been kicked out of bed for good in favour of the Soul. Shit. More chuffin money!

mt
    Free Member

Soul, just do it.

bobalong
    Free Member

I’ve not owned a soul or handjob, but have had two soda’s and a hummer. I sold my first one to get he hummer….regretted it, sold the hummer and purchased a new soda.

Cotic have got it just right.

rob2
    Free Member

You can get 10% (£50) off a soul at some shops. I’ll email you

Carbis

I managed to get 20% off a new Soul frame from Swinnerton Cycles, at this time last year, they’re showing a 17% saving on the new model but no stock. Mine arrived 2 days after Cotic received their shipment last year, so I’d call them.

Built it up with 120mm Rebas it’s great handling bike, reminicent of a 90’s Kona.

But the main question should be orange or black?

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Earlier today I was contemplating selling my 16″ classic soul bought beginning of 2012 and buying a stanton slackline. Not that there’s anything in the slightest wrong with the soul! Just like the idea of the stanton in case I head over to the local 4X track next year.

matther01
    Free Member

Got my Soul from 18bikes on Tuesday and she’s almost as gorgeous as my wife in orange…the bike that is. Can’t wait to get out of this hospital (having a son…any minute/day now) so that I can get her built up.

Running her with 120mm foxs. Taken 9 months to get all my parts but well worth it! Obviously didn’t time the baby thing properly!

Anyone run full outer gear cables with their Soul? Heard some people drill out the mounts to accomodate this?

lambton
    Free Member

Get a Soul, you won’t regret it.

Speshpaul

i can’t see me ever selling my Soul (But i have been doen to the cross roads.) thats the only frame i’ve ever thought that about.
    Try and get a test ride.

jekkyl

I love handjobs, I’ve had many over the years. This one time I got a handjob for Christmas off the wife, I woke up & then she gave me the handjob while I was still in bed, awesome!….. We are talking about masturbation aren’t we?

brack
    Free Member

Or

Just ride a classic 90’s kona

Been riding mine from new…1996

takisawa2

If I ever built a 26″ wheel bike again it would be a Soul. I’d be hard pressed to say exactly what it is that makes them so good, but its just “something”…
    Just instantly felt right.

househusband

Just ride a classic 90’s kona

IIRC, Cy once said in an interview that they are pretty the design ethos behind the original Soul.

metalheart
    Free Member

^^^ if you read the development history on this page it tells you how the Soul is ‘based’ on cy’s old Kona…

http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/soul

myorangecrush
    Free Member

Back in the day….. I had an original Orange Clockwork. God I missed it……. Lots of the modern soul in that old bike. Theres nothing new……

Vortexracing

I’m on my third Soul

God awful things 😉

Can’t see me being without one TBH, just seem the be the right bike at the right time regardless of what I’m riding at the time.

SBrock
    Free Member

Another Orange Soul MK2 here with 120mm Rebas – What a fun bike!

iainc

does anywhere sell Soul’s as complete bikes ?

I reckon if I had cash for a replacement hardtail (currently on a Rock Lobster 853 with 100mm Rebas and xt groupset and Thomson bits) I’d be wanting a similar specced Soul, with 120mm Reba’s, but would prefer a pro build rather than DIY.

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru

does anywhere sell Soul’s as complete bikes ?

When I bought mine I got it from my LBS and they swapped all the components over from my old frame and gave me a discount! Since then I’ve got new brakes and bars and stem from them and they fitted them too.

brack
    Free Member

Just for Cy

martinhutch

Mine’s in the garage now…nearly finished…I hope it’s as good as everyone here says…

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Soul’ is closed to new replies.