Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Cotic Solaris Sizing And Specs?
  • wisepranker
    Free Member

I’m thinking about entering the world of 29ers and with me having a BFe and loving it, I reckon a Solaris would be a good place to start!

I’m a bit curious about 29er sizing, shoudl I just go with the same size as I would with a 26er?
    I currently have a singlespeed Soul in a large and a medium BFe. The Soul with 120mm forks is a good size for general trail riding and the medium BFe with 140mm forks is good on the rougher stuff.

As I’m planning on using the Solaris for more general trail riding/XC type riding, would I be better off with a large frame?

Spec-wise I’ll probably be going for either 1×10 or 2×10 with Hope Hoops on Crest rims and a set of Fox Float 29 Evolution RL forks. Any better suggestions?

bol

I’d go with whatever you’re comfortable with of your current frame sizes. I went up from a large Soda to and XL Solaris because the Soda was fractionally small. You might want to take 10mm off your stem though.

The build suggestions sound good. I’d look at Rebas personally. I’ve got both and rate the Rebas more.

wisepranker
    Free Member

Thanks.
    I’m thinking that large may be the best bet, I suppose that I should call Cotic and see what hey suggest as well.

Next dilemma is going to be what colour?
    So far I’ve got a green BFe and a black Sould so I reckon the Solaris in blue should fit in nicely 😀

scud
    Free Member

I’m 5’11” and ride a medium if thats any good to you with 70mm stem and 730 wide bars, just built last weekend and loving it so far

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

I went for an XL.

I suppose that I should call Cotic and see what hey suggest as well.

No offence to Cy or Paul at Cotic, they suggested i went for a L, but due to my Giant hybrid measuring up similarly i decided on an XL and glad i did!

It is a perfect fit 🙂

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I ride a large Solaris and came to it from a 20 inch Unit 2-9; the head tube is shorter than the Kona but the top tube length is very similar and it fits perfectly.

If you’re happy with your current cockpit, personally, I’d go for the frame with the nearest TT length, risers and seat post can compensate for any other differences.

Build wise, I’ve gone 1×9 (32×11/34) and in the Lakes last week it coped with everything bar Skiddaw but even the granny gears were pushing/carrying there.

Ride wise, its the greatest bike I’ve ever owned 🙂

fizzicist
    Free Member

I think Cy and Paul generally prefer a smaller bike – I went with a medium Soul and 90mm stem at their recommendation and it’s *just* big enough. Would be interested to ride a big one.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Would be interested to ride a big one

Filth!

cy

And as if by magic the shopkeeper appeared 😉

I’ve designed the Solaris to have 10mm longer top tubes than the equivalent 26″ bike to length the front centre and stop the weight distribution getting weird. That puts the medium Solaris between your BFe and Soul, and the large Solaris a bit longer. For trail riding in the mould of what you do on your Soul, get the large Solaris and put a 10mm shorter stem on it. That’s how it’s designed to be used.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

I’m 5’10” and ride a mixture of fastish XC to wet rocky / rooty techie stuff. I initially rode a medium Simple with a 100mm 6Deg stem and 680mm low rise bars but then swapped out to the large frame with the same stem /bars as I wanted a slightly longer reach.

After speaking with Cy and considering the longer TT length on the Solaris I eventually opted for the ‘medium’ Solaris with a 90mm 0Deg stem and 580mm flat bars and so far it’s fine (Sorry Cy, I’ve stuck with the narrower bars, the trees are very close together up here!).

Don’t forget that your saddle position / seat post type will also play a small part in terms of your position on the bike. I initially used a zero layback post with a Brooks Ti Swift pushed all the way back (it has longer rails than my B17) but then put my B17 back on and I was surprised by just how much my ‘center’ changed on the bike. I ‘may’ pop on a slightly shorter stem but over all the ‘medium’ size is great.

As for color…I’m lovin my blue one…

Untitled by Rosscopeco, on Flickr

jambalaya
    Free Member

@wisepranker – Solaris, Soul and BFe – that must put you in the premier league of Cotic owners, I merely have the BFe so clearly I’m in the Vauxhaul Conference ! I think we need to see a shot of the “stable” when you get the Solaris built up.

duckman

Just shy of 6″3″ 34″ inside leg and on a large at Cy’s suggestion. Mimics my old large Soul in terms of feel. Rebas,pro11s 90m stem and flat ti bars. 3×9 set up.Blue is lush in the flesh.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Rossco, what tensioner are you using? Going SS once the mud properly arrives

Edit- just noticed its a hub gear

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Rossco, what tensioner are you using? Going SS once the mud properly arrives

Edit- just noticed its a hub gear

It’s a rohloff tensioner. It’d work fine on a SS set up too. The mud never leaves here so hence the hub gear set up… 😉

dlr

Does anywhere have Orange ones left? Will there be more, surely if they sold out there is demand?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I took Cy’s advice and got the large, also influenced by the fact that I wanted something more ‘xc-trail’ to contrast with the 5spot I use for generally rougher/dumbass stuff.

Pretty happy with it in this capacity, but if I was using it for allround riding, I’d really struggle to decide which of the two sizes to go for. I love the way it carries speed though, and it does it with confidence and stability too.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Does anywhere have Orange ones left?

I think there’s a couple of LBS who may orange ones left. Have you tried calling all the distributers?

dlr

Only google so far, will do a bit more searching ta

Frankers
    Free Member

I’m 6′ and have a Large Soul with a 90mm stem, so decided for a Large Solaris with a 70mm stem which i am very happy with.

I do have similar height friends though who find it too big and would probably suit a medium frame so it’s not just height as inside leg and arm length can play a part too.

Have now changed it to a inline I-Beam seat post

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’m the same height as frankers and have the same setup too. Inline Crnk bros seatpost and a 70mm stem.

chiefgrooveguru

I don’t have a Solaris (though I do have a Soul!) and one thing I’d add is that you can run a much shorter stem than is traditional to get a short enough ‘cockpit’ length for good cornering/descending/jumping and (now this is the really clever bit 😉 ) bend your arms when doing more pedally riding to put your torso in the optimum position.

wisepranker
    Free Member

Well after advice here from Cy and a conversation earlier with Paul from Cotic, I’ve got a large blue Solaris on it’s way 😀
    Just got to figure out exactly what else I want build-wise!

JamesD
    Free Member

Good choice, you won’t regret it, Solarii (?)!) are ace!

Lake District Solaris by James Dymond, on Flickr

the_lecht_rocks

whens the titanium version coming ?

mikemph
    Free Member

I have a medium, I am 5.10 with 33″ legs, the medium with 70mm stem and 100mm rebas is perfect.
    also have hope crest tubeless.
    I have gone 1 x 10
    mrp 28t bling ring
    sram s1400 2 x 10 with the spder and rings removed and direct mounted the bling ring
    bionicon v2 and gusset lil chap for the chain.
    total weight with gravity dropper is 27lbs

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

6’2″ on a large and it fits perfectly with 70mm stem and Havoc 750 bars. Revelation set to 110mm, mostly XTR except XT cranks and Arch EX/Hope wheels.

In XC mode with lots of gears

In fun mode with dropper and 1 * 10

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Solaris Sizing And Specs?’ is closed to new replies.