• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by core.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cotic Solaris – pick and mix parts
  • oxnop
    Free Member

Bought this yesterday in a sleep deprived whim (5 day old daughter turned up at the house)

So a medium Cotic Solaris, ohlins 29er forks at 140mm & 650b wheels. Surely this should ride crap as don’t think the 2016 frame is designed for normal 650b wheels (just 650+), forks also not for 650b and are running 140mm travel !

Did a little 8 mile steep up and down loop yesterday and it rode ok….

Should I sell forks and wheels (both look brand new) and throw some 29er wheels and 120mm forks ???

jambalaya
    Free Member

Cy designed the bike for 120/29/275+as the sweet spot so the current setup is erm “hybrid”. There is a cotic owners Facebook group and posters there seem to prefer 29 setup

nerd
    Free Member

Congrats and well done on getting a ride in with a 5 day old! I’ve managed 2 since our 4 month old daughter turned up. Most of my riding is to work and back at the moment.

Can you space the forks to 120mm? Many Rockshox forks can be adjusted with an internal spacer and it might be cheaper / more straightforward to do this, or get the bike shop to do it. Then sell / swap the wheels.

oxnop
    Free Member

Yeh, its defo a hybrid of sorts. i’m going to ride it again today and see what i think, on the descents it felt good and hit some Strava PR’s when comparing against my 2016 FIVE. so not bad for a first outing and before putting on my normal tyres / setting up forks, climbing on the other hand was a bit wandery. however this may be to do with the grand total of 12 hours sleep since last Saturday!

managed to get the pic to upload….

[/url]Untitled by Jonathan Truesdale, on Flickr[/img]

Nerd – feel pleased to be getting out. the Wife is a keen rider so feels my pain and was the one to suggest it. actually think it did me some good as needed to get the blood flowing as have just been staring at my little daughter non stop! i don’t think i can change the travel on these, i’ve tweeted Ohlins to ask the question. forks feel pretty supple so that would be the favoured option.

davosaurusrex

Looks nice that and congrats on the new arrival.

I have the Ohlins and pretty sure they can be changed between 120 and 140 but not 160. Not as straightforward to do as a Pike though. Had mine for nearly a year and really pleased with them

Retrodirect
    Free Member

I seen that bike and was sorely tempted. Thank god it was too small for me. How is the funky colour changing paint?

metalheart
    Free Member

650b and 140mm forks? That would’ve been much better suited to a Soul.

Solaris is 29er/B+, bottom bracket must be low on that.

Also, 120mm max travel a Solaris. It would definitely be wandery climbing at 140mm!

Reckon you’ve, er, a pretty unique set up there 😯

NormalMan

I’ve not tried the set up you have (unsurprisingly) but have had my Solaris (mk1) at 100mm and 120mm. Prefer the latter personally. Both with 29er wheels.

breadcrumb

Is it a 29er fork?

I’ve a MK I Solaris on 120 Pikes, brilliant bike. Can’t imagine it being the same/as good on 650b wheels.

chiefgrooveguru

So you’ve got the angles of a Solaris with 140mm forks (67.5 HA, 72 SA sagged, so 66 and 70.5 static) but the BB height is 19mm lower. The Solaris has less BB drop than many 27.5 hardtails (Orange, Bird, Production Privee etc) so it won’t be too low.

oxnop
    Free Member

Retro – I heard the coating was meant to be colour changing but so far it’s remained the dark green!

Yep – the forks are 29er and 650b wheels

ChiefGG – so are you saying it’s all good then? I took it on another spin yesterday and once again it felt great, yes it may be the best climbing bike however it rides down and across brilliantly. I was sure I was going to change it to 29 straight away but might give it a few more rides. Also, the Hans dampf tyres will make it feel draggy on the climbs too…… I think…

chakaping
    Free Member

The extra fork travel and decreased wheel radius should cancel each other out to an extent. Solaris has a high-ish BB anyway so not surprised it rides OK.

I bet it would feel worse with 29in wheels, unless you switch to a 120mm fork.

core

What size is that rear tyre?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Solaris – pick and mix parts’ is closed to new replies.