Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Cotic Solaris or Salsa El Mariachi?
  • philth
    Free Member

I am looking at a steel 29er as a custom build project (my first 29er). I ride a 20″ steel Explosif and a Trek 8500 19.5″. Interested in going steel and been looking at Cotic Solaris and Salsa El Mariachi. Just wondered if anyone has experience of these frames and could recommend the best option…or any alternatives?…also any pointers on size?

singlespeedstu

The El M is a great frame and very versatile.
    Can easily run gears or ss.
    Not riden a Cotic so can’t comment on that.

teadrinker
    Free Member

I’ve just done exactly the same as you, weirdly enough I too have just come from a 20″ Explosif. I looked at the Cotic but really fell in love with the Singular Swift. As it turns out to keep costs down I purchased this (below) and some Crossride 29ers then transfered my parts over to it. I’ll sell of all the new parrts from the new bike and hopefully bring the cost down a bit.

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/charge%20cooker%20rigid%2029er%202012/mountain-bikes/bikes-components-bikewear/fcp-product/44512

takisawa2

Niner SIR9 or MCR…

I love my SIR9.

IMAG1023 by pten2106, on Flickr

druidh
    Free Member

Solarises aren’t designed for long distance XC, more for playing around on. That makes the El Mariachi an easy choice for me.

philth
    Free Member

I do love the Niners…but they are twice the price and they don’t do a geared only steel frame anymore (have heard the ally ones have cracking issues)…and I would want a standard bottom bracket shell. I haven’t checked out the swift…will take a look

tobymc

I too have been having this debate. In the end i went for the El Mar (more options for what back wheel to run, tweekable geometry) over the Solaris/Simple (Lovely coticness and less weight). It was a decision greatly inluenced by Triton Cycles selling 2012 models at £150 off!!!
    Leaving money in the budget for the new headset and more besides….
    Was riding an inbred purchased from Takisawa2 ^ (waves!).

philth
    Free Member

Thanks druidh…I am leaning towards the Salsa…especially as I would be using it for long rides on chiltern singletrack.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Solarises aren’t designed for long distance xc

That’s exactly what I use mine for, to quote Cotic

The Solaris has amazing adaptability, from sus forked, big-barred trail warrier to rigid forks map crossing smoothie

oxym0r0n

Don’t let anyone tell you the Solaris is no good for long distance. I have ridden both and chose the Solaris for big days out. I went for the medium, being a shade off 6′. I have a 19″ voodoo and tried the 18″ salsa. I thought it was too small for me but it did have funny bars!
    Partly depends on whether you want to ss and how important a 44mm headtube is but also the geometry is very different with the Solaris being longer so shorter stem. I love mine 😉

philth
    Free Member

Thanks. Cotic say I would be a Large…and I do have long reach. I would be running full geared and front sus. Singlespeed doesn’t work round these parts unless you run a ridiculous low ratio ; )

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Philth, I’m 6’2″ and ride a large with a 90mm stem; I used to ride a 20″ Kona and the Cotic fits like a glove

oxym0r0n

Sounds like large will be fine if you are coming from a 20″ kona. Look at advice on cotic website if you are going to run a front mech – It’s a bit tight (I’m running 1×9). Also If you always want gears you may not want to lug around the extra faff of ss dropouts of the salsa too (coming from someone who is now trying to find an ss equivalent to the Solaris that has slidey dropouts as I like the 29in thing so much!)

rosscopeco
    Free Member

I’ve not tried a long distance / marathon specific frame so I’ve got nothing to compare it to however I did the West Highland Way on my Cotic Solaris a couple of months ago and it was spot on. I ran it on 2.1 Racing Ralphs which seemed to work really well in terms of helping to soak up any trail buzz. Still nice a comfy after 10hrs in the saddle…in fact it’s the comfiest xc frame I’ve ever had….which is 9!

I’m 5’10 and went for their medium frame with a 70mm stem and it’s spot on for me. I’m currently running it with 100mm rebas but I’ve got a wee itch for some 120mm Fox 29ers. I’m finding that I bottom out the rebas 2 / 3 times per ride. I guess the downside may be that the climbing is slightly affected but its a risk I fancy taking.

Frankers
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    Solarises aren’t designed for long distance XC, more for playing around on. That makes the El Mariachi an easy choice for me.

I’m confused by this…. what does it mean, the Solaris is a XC frame same as the Soul but 29er

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I must admit to having a hankering for 120mm on the front of my Solaris. I’m currently running 100mm and just feel it would benefit from the longer fork for general trail idiocy.

letmetalktomark

Slightly OT …… Re Sizing

At 6′ 3” or there abouts I went with an XL Solaris.

I like a long TT and the ability to run a short stem & wide bars. I think the L would have been okay but I would have ended up with a layback post.

Currently running a 70mm stem and inline post on my Solaris. I also have a 20.5” Fortitude that is half an inch shorter in the TT so I run a slightly longer stem and same bars as my Solaris.

So what I am trying to say in a very long winded way do try before you buy …. if you can

mattjg
    Free Member

Been through this recently …

Niner SIR9 or MCR…

MCR is discontinued tho there may be a frame or 2 in the supply chain. Nice ride tho.

At MSRP of USD 999 the ’13 SIR 9 is likely to be in excess of 900 quid just for the frame. I walked away.

Didn’t look at the Salsa.

I ended up buying a Swift too. UK designed, very good VFM, has EBB so SS and geared a doddle, and the rigid fork is included. OP you’re welcome to a go if you are near Surrey and fit a medium. Mail in profile.

mattjg
    Free Member

ps not meaning to undermine takisawa2 – he’s right they’re b****y nice to ride.

mattjg
    Free Member

good god how steep is the road in the back of that photie!

bol

I certainly don’t find the Solaris inappropriate for long xc rides. I raced it at the weekend for 50+ miles and it was fine. Comfortable, precise, and fun. It is relatively stiff for a steel bike, but a carbon post takes care of that. If you’re a serious racer, no steel hardtail is going to be at the top of your list.

The Niner and Salsa are nice too, but maybe not quite as much fun..?

druidh
    Free Member

Scrub that. I was mis-representing something written elsewhere 😳

mattjg
    Free Member

why not?

khani
    Free Member

I’ve got an El Mariatchi 2, and I love it, it rides great and the dropouts work really well without any creaks or squeaks 😀
    It was one of these or a Solaris and what swung it was my very nice LBS (chelmer cycles) can get em…

takisawa2

Ooooh that El-Maria’2 is gorgeous.

At MSRP of USD 999 the ’13 SIR 9 is likely to be in excess of 900 quid just for the frame.

No way…!!! 😯

mattjg
    Free Member

way

mattjg
    Free Member

taki I did the maths when we were talking about MCR etc a couple of weeks ago – Niner frames cost about 50% more in the UK than they do in the US. Very roughly, take the USD price, convert to GBP and round it down a touch. MCR: 850USD 819GBP

pop-larkin
    Free Member

At 6 ft and a smidge with a 32 inch inside leg would an 18 inch salsa fit do you think?

khani
    Free Member

Mines a 19, 6ft 34inside leg, the sizing changed on the mariachi between the 1 and the 2, 1 used to be 18-20 M-L, 2’s now 17-19 M-L iirc..
    Oh, and you have to run a external bottom cup on the headset or the fork twiddlers foul the downtube,

bol

why not?

Dunno really. Slightly different, slacker geometry; shorter chainstays.

philth
    Free Member

oooooooooo! that is tidy!
    525 though…and in their own admission that is to keep the price low.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

That genesis does look nice- good price as well

rOcKeTdOg

Shame it only mentions 80-100mm fork compatibilty

motorman
    Free Member

Can’t really add anything, except the Salsa is a lovely all day distance munching bike.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Interesting steerer, stem, riser bar ends height extension going on there! Would a bigger frame not been more betterrer 😆

mattjg
    Free Member

New player …

Dialled Prince Albert 29er coming early next year I believe, see forum history.

As for ‘only’ 525, I have a Dialled Love/Hate which I believe is 525 and it’s a joy to ride.

suffolk
    Free Member

Had a Solaris, ride fully rigid and found it a bit stiff… now have a MCR9 with a Swift fork, which is a much more compliant pairing, great bike. But then I only weigh 11st, standard steerer/head tube and thin seat post suit me fine and prefer the skinny steel tube look.

Didn’t realise the MCR had been discontinued, glad I jumped when I did. Went for that over the SIR due to preferable cable routing for a geared bike. My fallback position was a Stambek from GasVientenove/Gas29, similar geo and type of ride apparently to the Niners. Very reasonable quote for modified options on the frame – but no chance to test ride (they are Italian).

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Solaris or Salsa El Mariachi?’ is closed to new replies.