Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Cotic Solaris fork options – Marzocchi Corsa SL?
  • nickdavies

Eyeing up a Solaris as a winter 29″ hardtail. Not sure on forks though, going to phone cotic in a bit but what are people finding is working well, 100 or 120mm? Think 120mm could slacken it off a bit and i want something more all round for general xc duties for mainly quick night riding.

I’ve always used rebas on shorter travel bikes which i’m happy with but I can’t get new rebas in 120mm flavour, not sure if these can be adjusted up internally. Would like to stick with rockshox as I know how to service them etc, have the tools and loads of parts and seals but a pair of cheap Marzocchi Corsa SL have appeared on my radar, lightweight 29″ forks with all the adjustment I want and travel can be adjusted from 80-120mm easily which is the full range for the solaris. Anyone running these and have any feedback? Easy to service? Not finding much in the way of reviews and they’re the 2012 model.

Also – Arch EX default wheel choice for this anything else to consider?

slimjim78
    Free Member

Cotic recommended me to stick with 100mm to keep handling sweet. Apparently its closer to a 120mm shod Soul that way.

Bregante

Loving my Solaris on 100mm Reba’s. I generally like a more relaxed head angle (67 deg on the full sus) but I’d say the Rebas feel spot on and I wouldn’t want to go longer tbh.

I’ve just put Flow EX’s on mine but only because I couldn’t get black Arch EX at the same price. Plus I’m a lardarse.

bikeneil
    Free Member

I’m running 120’s and it’s ace. Much better than 100 in my experience.
    Makes the descents amazing and doesn’t really compromise the climbs. The Solaris is a wicked bike and whichever forks you choose you will love it.

nickdavies

Hmm.. Mixed opinions as I thought! That’s why I really want something I can run 100/120 with minimal faff to change over as I can see both options appealing.

Anybody got any thoughts on the zocchi corsa sl’s? Can’t even buy the bike yet as not in stock but tempted to pick the forks up as they’re pretty cheap, and less than rebas which I’d then need to buy another air shaft for to change travel.

bol

If they’re the forks that I think they are, I’d give them a try. I run 100mm Rebas on mine, and it’s lovely, but I sometimes wish I had a bit more travel for big weekends. If I was buying again now I’d be very tempted by the ‘Zocchis – especially at that price.

danti

You don’t mention where you ride and what you like to ride?

I’m in the Peaks and although I’ve got Talas Fox I don’t really use them at 120 and leave them at 100mm, even down pretty steep stuff.

I also asked Cotic about forks and they recommended 100mm.
    I’d stick with Rebas.

And yeah Arch EX with Geax Saguaros here for a 80kg fully loaded rider on rocky peaks trails.

nickdavies

Everything from canal paths, to Cannock, to blue/red/black trail runs, natural peaks stuff etc. This bike is going to be more aimed at XC stuff though as first post, but who knows it might be up being used for all of the above if I get on with it. Currently ride a c456 at 120mm which has meant my full suss hasn’t even been looked at in the past 12 months, if the Solaris is as capable as that but a bit less harsh and a better climber I can see it becoming a one bike for everything. C456 is great ridden downhill but I find it a pig on ups and XC stuff. Probably touching 90kg ATM given the nights are drawing in and I’ve moved back to bitter 😀

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You see a lot of Solaris'(Solarii?) with 100mm forks, including mine, but after thumping around on it as a lightish, XC ish SS, for about a year, I’ve drawn the conclusion that the fork is holding it back, so I’m about to put some 120mm revs on it for the winter. We’ll see how it goes.

I was always happiest on my Ti456 at 120mm, and my Solaris is built to directly replace that bike.

danti

100mm Solaris is roughly equivalent to 120mm 26″ IMHO as that’s what I’ve come from.
    They do climb great, just get at least a 34t cassette or larger if 10 speed and it’ll easily cope with what you’re suggesting.
    They have a nice bit of “give” to the frame but can’t compare to c456 as never ridden.
    Chuck on some wide bars (Haven 711 coming from 685mm) and a short stem and the handling is superb.

nickdavies

Yeah it’ll start life as 32t front 36t rear 1×10 as those are the newest bits in the spares box!
    Are the wider bars a noticeable difference? I was going to run another pair of 685 flats as that’s what I’m used to and like with a 50mm stem (large frame).

Best get on the phone to cotic and see when their large duck eggs are coming in…. And looks like having a bit of a mooch online the corsas aren’t as adjustable as they might seem to be, apparently CRC’s adjustable via spacers actually means changing a couple of components so I’m hoping I can find some new old stock dual air rebas.

danti

Demo one at Calver had wide (over 700mm) bars and 60mm stem and felt great, strange for first few minutes then just felt “right” for bigger wheels especially for going downhill and a bit more weight over front.

Think Cotic got another demo soon..

bikeneil
    Free Member

Wide bars (700+) are great on 29ers. They help with turn in and give better control. I ran 660’s on my Soul which I loved but when I switched to a Solaris they didn’t feel quite wide enough. I’ve put some 740 Renthals on and it now feels similar to the Soul.
    Also going tubeless makes a big difference. Not just to how the bike rides but it makes it much more comfortable too. I love mine… a lot.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Here’s mine. Medium Duck Egg.:

mboy
    Free Member

They improved the rear tyre clearance on these yet? On paper, my perfect frame, that is except for the rear tyre clearance… Seems odd as plenty of others seem to have managed to get a shortish chainstay and enough tyre clearance for a 2.2″ with at least a bit of mud room, even without resorting to an extreme seat tube arrangement. Maybe the seat tube needs steepening a touch?

mboy
    Free Member

Oh, and really interested to hear any input on the Marzocchi Corsa SL’s if anybody has any. Been considering a pair myself.

Rim wise, Arch EX’s seem like a venerable choice, but just got some Pacenti TL28’s myself. As wide as a Flow so gives the tyre a good profile, but lighter than an Arch EX even. Seem really stiff too, and so far none of the softness problems that other people have reported…

Alex

No info on the Corsas, but I run my Solaris with 100mm Reba’s (and gone from 680 riser to 777 flat bar and from 70mm to 50mm stem as well). Friend of mine runs his at 120mm and likes it, but I really like the way mine handles so I’ll leave it alone. Ridden over some pretty rocky stuff in Malvens and it’s absolutely fine. If i was riding the peaks or wales every weekend, maybe less so!

Arch EX for me shod with Conti Race-Kings (might be a bit exciting in the wet!). I hacked off the bit of mech I didn’t need and now there’s enough clearance for muddy riding. This was not the case with a HD 2.35 in there,

modig
    Free Member

Another (cheapish) travel adjustable fork option is the X-fusion Slide (like Bikeneil shows above). I’m not sure if “minimal faff” is applicable for the travel adjust procedure but here´s how to:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wbTc-QwA2w .

Did it myself the other night (swapping frames) and the trickiest part was pushing the pin out of the travel stop to adjust its’ position without proper tools.

/Johan

slimjim78
    Free Member

I too am concerned about the rear wheel clearance, it just doesn’t look right..(or potentially provide much room for thick mud conditions)
    Chopping front mechs to fit all seems a bit.. On-oneish?

Having said that, im still sorely tempted to buy a Solaris. I just need to get over my obsessive attention to detail

nickdavies

Yeah I liked the idea of the slide but I couldn’t find a decent priced one set to 100mm and with 15mm qr in white 🙁

The idea is it should be simple to change travel but having to buy a damper tool and a press? Much rather just strip the air shaft and bung in/out a spacer like my other RS forks! Can easily see the hammer and punch method i’d be using causing problems…!

I’m not sure mud clearance is really an issue… You see a lot of people complaining about it stopping them buying one. I’ve never seen anyone who actually rides one bringing it up when used with sensible tyres? I’m planning 1×10 so front mech clearance no issues.

TimCotic
    Free Member

On a related issue – I DID have mud clearance problems with my 26″ Reba forks. The Reba’s arch was much closer to the tyre than on Revs or Fox forks. This was about 3 years back and I replaced the Rebas with Rev’s. I was wondering if current Rebas are still tight or whether they’ve had a design tweek?

Alex

yeah I had that problem with older 26in Rebas. New ones are better, a 2.35 HD will fit with enough clearance. I’m about to fit a mucky nutz fender and there’s loads of room for that with a 2.2 race-king in there.

modig
    Free Member

Can easily see the hammer and punch method i’d be using causing problems…!

Hmm, yes. I can attest to that method not being entirely unproblematic 🙂

Hopefully I won’t be doing it very often in the future. (fork going on a Buzzard any day now)

/Johan

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Running 2013 RS Revelation RCT3 Solo Air with a 120mm air cartridge.

Feels spot on for me.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Solaris fork options – Marzocchi Corsa SL?’ is closed to new replies.