Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cotic Solaris
  • gravitysucks
    Free Member

Been riding a fatbike for the last few years with a pair of 29+ wheels thrown in to the mix. Going to swap my frame as riding fat less and was initially thinking of something 29+ specific like a stache.

I’m now pondering on whether to down size a little more and go for a 27.5+ / 29er frame instead and imediatlly thought of the Solaris. Heard a lot of good things over the years and have just been eyeing the cotic website up.

Whats everyones experiences of them? Is there a new incarnation of the Solaria due in the near future?

moonsaballoon

Had mine a few weeks now , got the frame in the sale and built it up with stuff I had lying round and some sales stuff . Like it a lot , I have a 2.8 nobby nic on the back and there is a reasonable clearance but not sure you could go any bigger on the tyre front .
    I had a moment of doubt when I saw that new pace frame as it has a thru axle and stealth dropper routing which the Solaris doesn’t but overall am very happy with it

Bregante

I had a Mk1 which I liked but was lured by a v.good deal on an Orange full sus so I sold it. In all honesty the riding I now do doesn’t justify a full sus so after a brief spell on a fat bike I went back to a Solaris (mk2) this summer and I’m loving it. For me it was a straight fight between a Stanton Sherpa or the Cotic and the Cotic only won because I got a good deal on a used one on eBay (seller is on here too). When funds allow I’d like to try 27.5 plus too.

As we appear to be doing photos…

dougieb
    Free Member

I got one of the sale frames (£399) just before xmas. Been out on it 4 or 5 times and loving it. I’ve previously owned a Soul (which I also liked). Currently running with 29er wheels but will probably look to run with 27.5+ wheels at some point.

I suspect the frame is due to be upgraded given that the Soul has just been given a 142mm thru axle and stealth compatibility. I was surprised to find that the solaris comes with 3 bosses on the down tube, two for a bottle cage and one further up which is identical to the one used for stealth routing on the Soul. I think it would be pretty easy to drill the seat tube for full stealth routing if you are feeling brave and are happy to forego the warranty. In fact if my standard reverb ends up packing in and needs replacing I could be tempted to do a DIY convert to stealth.

metalheart
    Free Member

Two for the price of one….

[/url]
    Packed up again, ready to go at 9.00 am sharp…
    by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr

Mine (and my mates) are mk1’s so less clearance than the mk2. I’ve run B+ on mine, biggest issue was a NN 2.8″ rubbing on the (Reba) fork (using Cotic wheels and Trailblazer on the back).

I got mine when they first came out (knocking on five years ago now I guess) and up until I got a Sherpa it was my go to bike. It’s currently relegated to bikepacking duties. I got the Sherpa as it has clearance for (proper) 3″ tyres, it was longer than my medium and a little slacker to boot. Oh, and a gorgeous green colour (I know. I’m a tart).

There’s been speculation recently that as the Soul has gone Boost that the Solaris will follow (same as OFI, etc) but it’s all conjecture at present. Cotic are usually pretty tight lipped until they have the product (probably as a result of the made in Britain Rocket fiasco). So who knows.

If they do, I’m in the market for a longer bikepacking frame (the medium is a bit short for me on multiple long days in the saddle). But then I’m a bit of a Cotic fanboy… 😳

Here’s one in B+ mode:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Lsm6nL]
    Obligatory signpost shot…[/url] by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr

If you follow the Flickr link there quite a few more of the Solaris in both B+ and 29er mode… 😳

ETA: I loved it in B+ mode, what made me go B+ on the Sherpa….

breadcrumb

Built up my Solaris this year. Initially on 100mm Rebas, and it was pretty capable.

Got some 120mm Pikes recently and it’s a beast now.

Can’t see me replacing the Solaris for a good while.

rOcKeTdOg

Love mine in plus mode. 2.8 nobby nic front and reckon rear both tubeless,not fatbike like grip but a good compromise

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Thanks all looks good.

Liking the look of the Sherpa as well, the 3″ clearance might even swing it for me!

Alex

I had a MK1 – it was Cy’s demo. Never tried to run it with any proper chubby tyres but it was a great bike. Preferred it to my MK1 Soul by some distance.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/jnaTcN]Same location, different day[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

I have a Stache now. But if a Mk-x came out with a thru axle and lots of rear chubby clearance, I’d have another….

oldnpastit

Liking the look of the Sherpa as well, the 3″ clearance might even swing it for me!

Which reminds me, my Sherpa is sat outside, patiently waiting for me to come and carve all the mud off it….

jruk
    Free Member

Cy, if you’re reading this thread; can we have a Solaris with an extra ~45mm reach, boost rear end and in that beautiful green please 🙂

metalheart
    Free Member

I had a MK1 <snip> Preferred it to my MK1 Soul by some distance.

Ditto…

MoreCashThanDash

I’ve had my Mk1 Soul for 12 years now, I don’t want to read this sort of nonsense!

jupiter
    Free Member

Bottom bracket drop is shallower than seems the fashion at the moment. Does it really matter, is there a difference that is noticeable compared to other frames. Cotic/Pace are 56mm drop, v Singular Swift/Stooge are 65mm drop. Pinnacle Ramin 1 is 67mm. Whyte 629 I think is a bigger drop but not posted on site. I find bb drop easier to figure than bb height because that must change due to wheel and tyre combinations.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Solaris’ is closed to new replies.