• This topic has 34 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Alex.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Cotic soda. Everything you could have hoped for or a noodly noodle cracky thing
  • moonboy
    Free Member

Pure idle musing.

No plans to buy a frame, no cash to do so.

But, very much ‘on the list’ for the future. So what’s it like?

Sodajim

I have a cracked one sitting in a box in the shed if you want to find out for yourself !

I think is a good frame, just probably best for lighter riders

ndthornton
    Free Member

The former
    Actually better than I hoped for

I ride xc and light Downhill on it and its AWSOME

MoreCashThanDash

I had a brief pootle round a car park on tbe original prototype, just after I got my Soul. Hardly an exhaustive or rigorous test, I know.

Still one of the few 26″ hardtails I would replace the Soul with. I go all aquiver when one comes up on eBay.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Really wish they’d make a Sodaris.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

ndthornton
    Free Member
    ndthornton
    Free Member

Targeted Advertising gone mad!!

schmiken

Sodajim – what size?

Sodajim

schmiken its a medium 2009 with the bigger seat tube for added stiffness before the swap to lynskey manufacture.

perfect apart from the crack down from the seat tube slot !

jamj1974

I love the one I bought from Northwind. Brilliant bike. My brother has the Soul Mk 3 (The one with the tapered head tube and CEN tested) which I think is a brilliant bike but secretly he prefers the Soda… 😀

It’s very lively, very agile and huge fun. I have had an amazing time riding it this summer. It makes me smile each time I take it out. What more could I ask!

metalheart
    Free Member

I had one, I really, really, really wanted to like it (me bein a Cotic fan boi an all) but I just couldn’t gel with it.

It certainly wasn’t noodly, the 31.6 seat tube made everything pretty stiff (I found the delivery to the transmission more precise than the Soul, also found the Solaris more like the soda, might be the seat tube). I think it was that I prefer the relative inertness of the Soul (I always know how it will react) and the soda has a cetain spring that unsettled me I guess.

A great frame, just not for me, moved it on to someone who hopefully cares more for it than I did… 🙁

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Dunno but they are the best looking bike evah. I’d have one in a shot, but i’d get into trouble so i can’t.

D0NK

So what’s it like?

erm discontinued?

schmiken

Sodajim – any chance of a few photos to my email? It’s in my profile.

Alex

My mate Nig has had one for many, many years.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/4D7Wyk]Swinley 08 (6 of 12)[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

He’s given it a good old thrashing and it’s still in one piece. He is about 10 stone dripping wet tho.

v666ern
    Free Member

your all wrong – you want a Brodie Holeshot TI 8)

Northwind

I miss mine (now jamj’s!) Yep it was fairly noodly, but that’s exactly how it’s supposed to be, and yep it did crack but Enigma made it better. It didn’t quite have the same have-a-go swagger of my old Soul, more quietly confident, which I loved as I had it built as a light xc bike. I just didn’t ride it enough to keep so it had to go.

Not really better or worse than a Soul I don’t think, just a different approach. But classic stereotypical ti feel with Cotic handling, never going to be bad is it.

Sodajim

Schmiken I’ll see what I can sort out

Sodajim

Schmiken a few pictures sent over

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Mine is no.5 off the production line. I’m in the former camp – yes its springy, but then that’s part of what makes it so damn good. (I should also admit to being in the 10stone dead category too!)

I’ve owned it since new, ridden it on, off, through, over all sorts and it just deals with it. Now I live in the Peaks, it gets a little less ridden than it used to (I have a Rocket that gets thrashed most of the time now), but it’s still my go-to bike, any time there’s woodsy singletrack involved.

url=https://flic.kr/p/pxNRzA][/url]

Pretty old pic now, but it’s been treated like this since the world go, and still gets a regular thrashing now.

mt
    Free Member

if anyone wants one I have a Soda frame and a fox fork for sale (medium). It will be in the classifieds with pictures in a couple of days. reasonable offers will be considered.

It’s a great bike and a pleasure to ride, never had any trouble with it. I have loved using as an a general day out bike or in it’s first build as an XC race bike (got it down to 20lbs). It just feels fast and engaging and been a pleasure to ride. I may sell wheels and other kit with it.

It’s going with other bikes (a Merlin Works 4.0 (med) and a Turner Flux (xsmall)) due to lack of riding time and injuries.

jamj1974

due to lack of riding time and injuries.

Sorry to hear that… Hope you heal soon.

bol

I have had a couple. A pre-Lynskey 31.6 seat tube one which cracked at the seat tube (as a few of them did it seems) and a Lynskey one. I loved them both. Springy but not noodley. If it wasn’t that I had my head turned by 29ers I’d still have one. I replaced it with a Solaris, and now have a Sync, which is the closest thing to a 29″ Soda/ti Solaris – if not quite as compliant.

jamj1974

MT if you decide to sell please drop me an email – I know where it will find a good home. My email is in my profile.

Russell96

I had the Mk1 loved it, but it cracked on the chainstay in the same month as I broke my Turner 5 Spot.

The Soda was a great ride springy yes but in a good way. Having had a Soul Mk1 and still got my Morning Glory I’d say the Soda sat somewhere in between the two.

doom_mountain

I have a cracked Soda sitting in the back of the wardrobe, I’ll get round to sending it to Enigma someday.
    Was a lovely frame, five years of being my main bike, didn’t owe me anything really.
    Definitely a lively ride, needed a bit of finesse to keep it on track.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Soda is a great fast bike, love it, Lynskey made one, was my race bike for many seasons, now only used in dry summer XC blast, as a soul is my main bike.

straggler
    Free Member

MT – I would be interested in your Soda medium – probably just the frame – can you please ping the pics through to me when you have them. Address is in my profile. Cheers.

mt
    Free Member

jamj1974, straggler,

Thanks for the interest in the Soda, as I said it will be a few days before I send something due to time.

jamj1974

Cheers MT.

austinburner
    Free Member

I have a medium from the last Lynskey batch. Owned it for about a year now as always wanted to scratch the ti itch.!
    It is a beautifully made thing & just looks the biz. More importantly, it rides & handles brilliantly. Definitely the best 26″‘hard tail I’ve ridden, climbs great & is a lot of fun in the twisty bits. Thought my custom steel fillet brazed frame was the one but the soda is just proper in every detail.

kiwiem
    Free Member

Been racing XC on mine for about 5yrs and still going strong. Looks awesome and rides amazingly…..you can’t go wrong if you can get your hands on one.

nparker

That’s me in Alex’s pic (brought back some memories 🙂 Had mine some 8 years now and riding it never fails to put a smile on my face, even the light pootle today with the nipper. Much fun, what more can you ask for?

Alex

Another blast from the past Nige!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/4KKMic]Pubecks MTB May 2008 (18 of 47)[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

There’s also a pic of your soda in an old STW mag for an article I wrote about the peaks. Can’t believe it’s eight years old!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Cotic soda. Everything you could have hoped for or a noodly noodle cracky thing’ is closed to new replies.