Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cotic Simple or Pipedream Sirius???
  • rosscopeco
    Free Member

Just looking for sue thought and opinions on what to do.

I currently have a 4 year old Cotic Simple which as a bike I love….however, I swap my rear wheel several times a week between a single speed (for commuting) and a Rohloff (for off road).

It’s a bit of a faff in that you have to use chain tugs and the brake mounts on the Cotic are fixed to the frame. Also if you haven’t properly tightened up the QR the back wheel inevitably slides in the horizontal dropouts. The Pipedream (with sliding dropouts) has the brake mount attached the mount thus it’s always perfectly aligned with the disc, there’d be no faff with loose QRs or chain tugs.

I’m getting a bit fed up of all the faff and was considering getting the new Sirius as the geometry is more or less identical.

What the general opinion out there?

All thoughts / opinions welcome!

clunker

Shame the Sirius is going with a track dropout 😳 sliding is by far the best option.

titusrider
    Free Member

Keep the simple and stop changing wheels!

you could buy a perfectly good dedicated commuter for what U would have spend on a pipedream 🙂

(simple owner who would never even consider getting rid of mine)

PJay
    Free Member

I wasn’t aware that the Sirus was going with a track dropout. The pictures on Pipedream’s Facebook page show the new 2012 Sirius frames with the new tapered headtubes with the same dropouts as my 2010 model (they look lovelly by the way).

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

They look good.

PJay
    Free Member

I like mine, the 2012s, if anything, look even nicer! I wouldn’t need a tapered headtube (mine’s run rigid) but it does increase fork options.

letmetalktomark

I liked my 2010 Sirius. Dropouts were a doddle to use.

If I could pick a fault (its actually why I ended up selling it) would have been the weight. Heavy going for 19” 853 frame.

Ride wise its was harsher than my 2010 Soul.

If I had the money again i would go with the Simple.

That said the pics of the 2012 frames ^^^ look great – cannot imagine they are any lighter though.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Thanks for input all. Think I’ll just stick with the Cotic simple for the time being. The wheel change is in reality easy although a bit of a faff. After another 4″ of snow last night here in sunny Glasgow the rohloff and ice spikes tyres had to go on again this morning.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Simple or Pipedream Sirius???’ is closed to new replies.