Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cotic Rocket Droplink ownerists. A favour if you own a medium size?
  • kayak23

I am very close to buying a new droplink Rocket following a demo but…… I would like to be able to answer a question that the demo couldn’t, or more accurately, I forgot.

I want to fit a 150mm reverb to it(I can get away with a 125 mm as the demo bike had but 150mm would be nicer)

The thing I’m unsure about is whether the Rocket has enough room in the seat tube to physically fit a 150 mm post in due to the bend that the seat tube has, and to get it far enough in to get my correct saddle height at full extension.

I was wondering if a medium sized Rocket owner(the bike, not the person) might be able to do me a favour and put a post into the bike as far as it will go, mark it and measure how much post went in up to the seat clamp?

For me to fit the 150mm and maintain a good seat height, I need 220mm to go in, which is the distance from the very end of the post to the collar I.e, I need the post collar to touch the seat clamp. If I can’t get this I’m sure I could live with the 125mm that I already have.

Cheers.

chiefgrooveguru

I’d ask Cotic directly to check – I’d trust their measurement/judgement more! Also, it’s a bit of a fiddly thing to check if you already have a stealth routed dropper fitted.

kayak23

Yeah, I have done actually but thought I’d ask on the off-chance anyway in case someone had one to hand.

You’re right about having one fitted already making it tricky mind.

mintimperial

I have a Rocket 275 in medium and a 150mm Reverb. I just checked and this is the lowest you can get the post to go into the seat tube:

And even that’s pushing it a bit. The problem is that the stealth hose fouls on the droplink pivot tube inside the seat tube. Even with the connectamajig removed, as here, you’re putting the tube at a bit of a nasty angle at this height, which I think could lead to problems over time. If you really need the post to be fully dropped inside the frame then you should probably stick with the 125mm post.

(You could possibly run it fully dropped with a 150mm external-hose dropper, I dunno, but I’m not pulling that post out to find out for you, sorry, it was a bit of a **** to get fitted. 😉 )

chiefgrooveguru

Removing the Connectamajig does indeed make quite a difference – it was the difference between a 170mm Reverb fitting or not in my medium Spitfire, not due to getting the post in but because the stealth port wasn’t low enough on the seat tube. Am liking having 45mm more drop over my old post but it’s certainly far from essential! With a hydraulic hose that isn’t moving I think you could get away with some odd angles and bends without problems, it isn’t like there’s a cable running within it or the hose is repeatedly bending and straightening.

kayak23

Mintimperial thank you for that! Excellent…..well, not really excellent but as you say,I may have to stick with the 125mm which would I’m sure be adequate.
    Would have been nice to get a longer drop though.

Thanks so much for taking the time to do that. Much appreciated 🙂

mintimperial

No worries! Glad to be of assistance.

If it helps, I find that the full 150mm drop is pretty huge, and usually leave mine an inch or so out in case I need to have a bit of a sit down or something on longer downs. I think I’d have been happy enough with the 125mm, to be honest.

kayak23

Cool. I expect you’re right. I tend to ride fairly steep trails in Shrops and thought I’d appreciate the long drop.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Rocket Droplink ownerists. A favour if you own a medium size?’ is closed to new replies.