• This topic has 100 replies, 52 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by cy.
Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)
  • Cotic Rocket 275
  • jimw
    Free Member

He talks about the reasons for choosing steel here:
    http://youtu.be/Q_mmqajR0Ko

I assume the same applies to the 27.5 version. It is from about 3 mins onward

metalheart
    Free Member

Clearly weight isn’t everthing in the world of Cotic hardtails. but as soon as we’re talking FS frames, it’s a driving function.

I’ll think you’ll find it was other people that made a big deal about the weight. Cy was more that if he’d done it in alu it would probably have been a similar weight…. And, as podge said, steel is real (and all that guff). :mrgreen:

woodster

Seems much better value as a frame only and getting £250 back for binning the Fox Evo.

metalheart
    Free Member
    ahwiles
    Free Member

thepodge – Member

Exploit may be a strong word but you get my meaning

yes, it seems Cy has found/made (maybe a bit of both?) a niche/market that works for him. maybe there’s a bit of ‘4th wall’* going on with his product range.

(*if you step outside your ‘area’ – you risk bursting the bubble, a bit like Genesis making Carbon road frames, or Dylan going electric. it might even work financially/technically/artistically, but there’s going to be grumblers)

thepodge
    Free Member

I think quite a few people / brands fear going outside their 4th wall

If the Rocket is the full suspension BFe then I’m after the full suspension Soul

ahwiles
    Free Member

damn you podge, you said in … 15 words something that i’ve been struggling to say in about 3 years.

thepodge
    Free Member

Glad I could be of some (slightly delayed) assistance

Slightly off topic but your Dylan comment reminded me of this vid of his fans from 66 at Sheffield city hall

jump to 34 seconds (Kind of NSFW)

metalheart
    Free Member

then I’m after the full suspension Soul

Hehe, I remember saying pretty much the same thing about 3-4 years ago (pre Rocket launch)

thepodge
    Free Member

Having said that, I’ve recently jumped on the 29er bandwagon so I’m probably after the full suspension Solaris

slimjim78
    Free Member

I can’t decide to stick 650b or go up to 29er, so I think I’m after an FS Soularis ?

But yeah, if the characteristics I love about the Soul could be added to with a bit of bounce, I’d be in like Flynn

Northwind

ahwiles – Member

Clearly weight isn’t everthing in the world of Cotic hardtails. but as soon as we’re talking FS frames, it’s a driving function.

Weight isn’t everything but it’s always something Cotic have been known for- the hardtails are right at the lighter end of their class. 5.4lbs for a 26er BFe IIRC which is bloody light for what it is, and the Soul’s competitive with some alu hardcore hardtails like the chameleon and stiffee. Alu could make it lighter but that’s like saying they could make the rocket lighter by taking away the suspension.

doom_mountain

I would also like an FS soul
    I’ve had steel and Ti Cotic but I’d be fine with an alu Soul FS.

chestrockwell

a 29er rocket would probably sell like hot cakes too, but he says it’s not for sale till he can make it work.

he’s a gent.

How does not releasing a bike that they’re not happy with (So it’s safe to say the buying public wouldn’t be either) and so not risking their rep make him a gent?

I’m not saying he isn’t but I’m sure Cotic are in the market of selling as many bikes as they can to as many people as possible and therefore making money. They know what will sell and they also know what the cost of releasing a half baked bike would be to their all important rep.

jimw
    Free Member

I think Cy learned a great deal from the ‘UK Rocket’ affair. He isn’t going to repeat announcing product and allowing pre-orders before it is ready for sale on the Rocket 29. If it comes, great, but it may never arrive.

I really hope for their sake that 275 Rocket works this time.

metalheart
    Free Member

I also wouldn’t be holding my breath for a FS Soul.

There’s been reports, photos and sightings of 29er FS proto(s), don’t think anything has surfaced regards shorter travel.

Plus, as per above, the ‘UK Rocket’ fiasco will have left Cotic battered and bruised. What with a 27.5 Rocket and Soul and an updated Solaris I’d be surprised to find they’ve had time to develop a separate lower travel platform as well. They’ll have been concentrating on ensuring everything is just *right*.

Just my idle speculation.

ravingdave

I have been desperately waiting for the rocket to return I regret not getting one when the 26″ was available; but now with the rise of other internet options, as well as the Bird Aeris which can be demo’d. the Rocket seems expensive. an entry level Aeris BIKE can be brought for £195 more than this frame. which is why I am demoing an Aeris on Monday! I really want to want a rocket, but the cost just seems to excessive when you consider, travel, strength, warranty, geometry are the things that matter…

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m not holding my breath for one, just saying that’s the kind of bike I fancy.

slimjim78
    Free Member

It’s hard to argue with ravingdave – the Aeris Bird has also caught my eye. Will check one out at swinley before the year is out hopefully

NormalMan

A bit more info from Cy

http://www.cotic.co.uk/video/Rocket275

cy

Well that was an interesting read……

Thanks for posting the video Normal Man. If you haven’t clicked the link there is an actual Real Life ™ production Rocket275 on there. Partly because I wanted to explain a few details, partly because I wanted to prove to people they are actually real this time. Learning from my mistakes…..

Thanks for all the feedback on what you might be interested in. It’s all good to know. Funnily enough when I started the original Rocket project it was called BFeFS, so I know where you’re coming from wanting a SoulFS, or indeed a SolarisFS. Good way of putting it.

Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Rocket 275’ is closed to new replies.