• This topic has 100 replies, 52 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by cy.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)
  • Cotic Rocket 275
  • accu
    Free Member

thanks….but…

I never used 120mm forks on my Bfe…
    and never used an offset post….. 😀

and I´m definitely not in the market for an 275..
    maybe for another medium 26″ BFe from the last batch,later this summer

this is the thread to launch the rockets…so

iain1775
    Free Member

Cy
    As your here, any news on prices, timescales (appreciate it won’t be until around October) and spec for BFe275 11speed XT builds
    Last time I emailed you you said you where looking at a few options for different parts on the complete builds so couldn’t confirm anything

Or are you going to update the website with rolling chassis options or am I best phoning to discuss?

Basically I want a BFe275, I’d like to wait for 11speed XT but getting a rolling chassis (frame, fork, wheels etc) and borrowing some parts from my other bike for a few months might be an option if specs/prices are likely to change significantly

As for the Bird upstarts – it’s not steel is it

jezzep

In a world where all is delivered next day I’m guessing when the rocket comes out, it will be worth the wait 😉 in the meantime I’ll be content with my soul 650b….

JeZ

Speeder

My next frame would be a 26″ Rocket if you still made them Cy. Not interested in a 27.5 for a while yet, at 5’7″ and not a racer they don’t hold enough advantages to buy a whole new bike. Have to see what comes up 2nd hand when the time comes to change. Shame. Damn this stupid, greedy industry.

fathomer

Just had an email to say they’re arriving next month, look and sound nice, and the geo on paper looks ‘bang on trend’ (I think).

Bit early for me but I’ll definitely be demoing one as soon as possible.

http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/rocket#sizing

v666ern
    Free Member

Holy mother ****ing hell its arrived!!!!

scandal42
    Free Member

Looks very nice indeed

coomber
    Free Member

thumbs up

cokie

Looks good! Not a bad price for the complete either.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

good luck to them, but too late for me now.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

£3599 – “not a bad price”

What’s your job Cokie??

🙂

everyone
    Free Member

That’s right nice. Bit too much bike for the majority of riding I do though!

cokie

IT, obviously 😛

In all seriousness- a small manufacturer producing a frame from a nice steel with solid forks, groupset, wheels, dropper and finishing kit isn’t bad for £3600.

By comparison my Whyte T129 SCR Works is £3100 for a similar spec with boring ali frame & produced in larger numbers.

sv

Bird Aeris RS @ £3700 gets you Pikes and carbon wheels.

dragon
    Free Member

The Whyte is £500 less and has a Pike on it.

timraven

Still happy with my 26″ wheeled version.

Looks as good with mid-sized wheels though.

mintimperial

Ooooooo. And here’s me having just sold my 150mm FS bike too. Was wondering what to replace it with. 😀

slimjim78
    Free Member

Looks flippin ace.

Would be in the market for a 130mm’ish version.

AlexSimon

slimjim78 – Member

Looks flippin ace.

Would be in the market for a 130mm’ish version. If it rides like the 26er, then I wouldn’t worry too much.
    Test ride it and see what you think. It’s definitely a trail bike.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

I had a 26 rocket and it was really good, I miss it. Steel frames are fun.

sprocker
    Free Member

Saw someone on the 29er rocket in the peak the other week, looked a bit ungainly to me, I do like the 26 though

metalheart
    Free Member

As per theend^^^, don’t rule it out because you think it’s too much travel. The way it rides is the travel is there when you need it but it doesn’t really feel it when it’s not…

I’m really not a 6″ travel FS guy and I thought the 26er was ace. Only moved it on because I wasn’t riding, let alone in need of FS. Mind you, I have just put the HR’s back on the Soul…. :mrgreen:

Hope things go better this time Cy (much better!)

roverpig

As per theend^^^, don’t rule it out because you think it’s too much travel. The way it rides is the travel is there when you need it but it doesn’t really feel it when it’s not…

You wouldn’t choose it as an XC bike though would you?

Either way, good luck to them. I hope it sells like hot cakes.

metalheart
    Free Member

rp: 130mm isn’t exactly XC is it? Only 20mm short. As discussed at length the first time around, a reduced travel Rocket would still weigh the same. So why not just take the extra (for when you just might need it)?

Oh, I rode the same places I rode my HT’s (but mainly the Firmounth/Fungle/Glen Tanar).

nodrog2
    Free Member

Still loving my 26″ wheeled Rocket, it’s just so much fun to ride! I guess when I finally get around to catching up with the times and buy a 650b machine then the Rocket will be the obvious choice. Good luck with it Cy although to be honest I don’t think luck will come into it, a bike as sorted and fun as the Rocket will sell all day long. Guess I’m going to be spotting a few more Rockets out on the trails now!

v666ern
    Free Member

Ooooooo. And here’s me having just sold my 150mm FS bike too. Was wondering what to replace it with

fingers crossed it IS this october for you then 😉

nixie

Had my first spin on my new (to me) 26″ rocket last night. Feels really, really nice (not that up and down the road and over a few bumps is a great test). The front felt like it wanted to rail into turns (where my old frame didn’t). Can’t wait to try it out on proper trails.

jekkyl

Appreciate you can’t please everyone but green or orange? blehhhh.
    Black black Black all day long (or possibly dark blue or dark red)

robowns
    Free Member

Dark red??? Surely not

NormalMan

Green and orange seen to be classic Cotic colours. So a bit of brand identity rather than just following the crowd seems good to me.

But as you rightly say, you can’t please everyone.

ahwiles
    Free Member

metalheart – Member

So why not just take the extra (for when you just might need it)?

you’re mostly right, but there are things to consider:

# longer travel bikes tend to stand higher ‘pre-sag’ – you might not like that extra BB height (if it is higher)

# you might not be experience the full range of travel behaviour (you might only be using the travel where it’s in it’s ‘linear’ phase, or whatever).

# a longer travel frame needs longer travel forks – they tend to be more expensive and heavier.

like i said, you’re mostly right. but a shitey old mincer like me, given the choice, would take the frame that’s optimised for less travel.

dragon
    Free Member

Lets be honest CF or aluminium at the cheaper end of the market are much better materials for shorter travel bikes. Steel only starts to makes sense for longer travel bikes that need the strength and would be heavy anyway. Even then CF is probably a better frame material.

metalheart
    Free Member

@awhiles: forks these days are quite often 160 travel. You want shorter you have to shim down so basically you’re the same weight … 😀 Not sure the point re b/b you’re making, just sit on the damn thing and it’s the right height … 😀
    Personally, re travel behaviour I think you’re over thinking it! I just rode the damn thing once I’d the rear set up (added 10 psi a couple times until it felt right) I left it. Not once did I find my mind drifting to its ‘behaviour’

I was commenting against 130mm v 150mm. I can see no reason to discount the a Rocket on this basis. You want a shorter travel frame, fine, it’ll probably end up lighter too. As a shitey old mincer myself I loved the long, slack and low (made me a bit less mincey). YMMV.

toys19
    Free Member

Lets be honest CF or aluminium at the cheaper end of the market are much better materials for shorter travel bikes. Steel only starts to makes sense for longer travel bikes that need the strength and would be heavy anyway. Even then CF is probably a better frame material

Really? Could you justify that?

metalheart
    Free Member

Steel only starts to makes sense for longer travel bikes that need the strength and would be heavy anyway.

I think this was pretty much agreed three years ago on the 26″ version. People were asking for a 100mm version and Cy went ‘it would weigh the same’.

Define ‘better’…

ahwiles
    Free Member

metalheart – Member

…re travel behaviour I think you’re over thinking it! I just rode the damn thing once I’d the rear set up (added 10 psi a couple times until it felt right) I left it. Not once did I find my mind drifting to its ‘behaviour’

it sounds like your mind drifted to it’s ‘behaviour’ at least ‘a couple of times’…

no?

People were asking for a 100mm version and Cy went ‘it would weigh the same’.

this is something i’ve never really got out of Cy, he makes the BFe, a whacking great lump of robust awesomeness. He could make it out of Aluminium, and it would be cheaper and lighter.

Clearly weight isn’t everthing in the world of Cotic hardtails. but as soon as we’re talking FS frames, it’s a driving function.

(except it isn’t, the Rocket isn’t one for the gram counters)

thepodge
    Free Member

He could make it out of Aluminium, and it would be cheaper and lighter

Marketing… Steel is real and all that guff. You cannot blame someone for knowing their market and exploiting it.

ahwiles
    Free Member

you’re right. but i really don’t think Cy wants to exploit anyone.

if he was up for a bit of exploitation, he’d have knocked out a steel 100mm Rocket, and raked in the cash.

a 29er rocket would probably sell like hot cakes too, but he says it’s not for sale till he can make it work.

he’s a gent.

metalheart
    Free Member

it sounds like your mind drifted to it’s ‘behaviour’ at least ‘a couple of times’…

Hehe, maybe… but in reality it was more ‘I’m getting pedal strike, I’d better put in more puff’ rather than, hmm, that last bump, the travel felt decided, hell, was it non-linear?… And once I’d got the sag sorted that was it. So, only on a couple of rides.

BFe in Alu? Well, he couldn’t call it a BFe then could he!

thepodge
    Free Member

Exploit may be a strong word but you get my meaning

I too would be interested in a shorter, lighter, less gnar rocket but I doubt that kind of thing would rake in the cash

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Rocket 275’ is closed to new replies.