Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cotic Roadat question – help and advice please.
  • Vortexracing

Righto STW massive,

Do you use 26″ wheels with discs or 700c wheels with V brakes?

Reading the blurb on the site it appears to be able to use both easily.

What have you guys built yours with?

BadlyWiredDog

700c wheels with discs 😉

tollah
    Free Member

I used 700c with Canti’s

Vortexracing

700c wheels with discs

I supposed I asked for that 🙄

I don’t have any so it’s either 26″ with cable discs or 700c with the road V brakes off my road bike.

Want to use this Roadrat as a winter flat bar bike and swap as much as possible from the Jamis road bike.

Blackhound

I use mine as a flat barred winter bike, 700cc ( some nice Easton Vista SL wheels currently) and v-brakes,

Retrodirect
    Free Member

I’ve had mine with various setups over the past 2 and a bit years that I’ve owned it and I love it, I’ve used it for loads of different things but there is a definite setup which it work best with.

But I can categorically say that the bottom bracket is MUCH too low with 26″ wheels – I have mine built with 26 x 1.5″ tyres as I type, it measures to 265mm which is usable but you have to be very aware of where your pedals are or they’ll clip going round even the tamest of corners. I’m only running it for a few weeks until I get another set of wheels sorted for it.

You also have to be aware running V-brakes on the rear that the brake-posts are closer together than on most other brands, meaning that SOME brakes (my shimano are fine – but the tektro’s or the cane-creeks I would otherwise have used) don’t have enough adjustment as the pads to get them to fit properly. This was using Open Pro’s.

700c, singlespeed, no mudguards and discs is what the bike works best with.

(gears are a faff with the trackends and chaintug thing)

(and full-length mudguards are annoying if using singlespeed as the drilled hole is so close the axle-slot that the mudguards can interfere when you’re tightening the nuts.)

it’s also too flexy to be used for carrying bags and panniers on a regular basis. It’ll work, but if you’re doing it more often than a few times a year then you’re best off getting something a bit stiffer. However unloaded it does have that lovely steel ‘twang’ that people wax so poetically about.

Colin

Vortexracing

I don’t intend to use it for anything more than a winter training/short commuter bike. I want if possible to move as much kit over from my Jamis carbon road bike onto the Roadrat.

But I have a set of nice 26″ wheels with Specialized fatboys and disc hubs(that I use on my Soul), plus a set of juicy 3’s that I can use.

so it was a case of which to choose?

The V brakes off the Jamis are Shimano so thats one good thing.

I suppose the optimum is to look for some 700c disc wheels and sell the 26″ wheels. That way the BB is high enough and I get to use the Juicy 3’s.

cheers for your input it’s much appreciated.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

no worries, if you’re nearby edinburgh you’re more than welcome to have a shot

berniethebike
    Free Member

Hi Vortexracing,
    I’ve got an expresso RoadRat in mint cond with forks – medium – which I’m selling for £ 165 if you (or anyone’s) interested?

Cheers

Bernie.

PS: could Email pics tomorrow if anyone’s interested?

Vortexracing

Cheers Bernie, but i need a small, i’m only 5ft 4″.

Bit of a bugger that as that was exactly what I’m after, it’s just too big. 😥

mattsccm
    Free Member

Bernie. I might be interested. send a few pics if you can to mattsccm AT fsmail DOT net.
    Where are you?
    Matt

newro97
    Free Member

hi Bernie

can i have some photos to please?

cheers Rob.

iainc

vr – if you are looking to match up some new brakes for the 26 setup, I am about to strip some vgc Tektro Auriga’s off my Bad Boy – sleath black too !

Vortexracing

I’ve got some brakes but they are white 🙁

How much are you after and can you send me some piccies please
    Ta very mucho

black do seem more appropriate

iainc

VR – just mailed you

Cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Roadat question – help and advice please.’ is closed to new replies.