• This topic has 24 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Cotic Frames
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I can’t help but notice that a lot of (2nd hand) Cotic frames for sale have often been re sprayed. Is this due to a poor paint job or do the owners just ride the heck out of them?

Speshpaul

its aplastic coat finish, and although its quite tough, doesn’t chip as easy as paint. Is does dull down and won’t polish up like paint/lacquer

jambalaya
    Free Member

I think it could be that people want to keep them / get the best sale price. There are lot of other frames which are not in demand so don’t get sold at all or aren’t worth any more even painted so people don’t bother. Not sure ?

MoreCashThanDash

Mines a Mk1 Soul, paint is very tough but now dull. Keep wanting to replace it with a 29er but can’t bear to part with it, hoping to one day get it resprayed

I_Ache
    Free Member

The paint on my BFe has been spot on. I don’t ride it as much as I want to but thats down to being too broken to ride a HT that behaves like the BFe. However the paint still looks pretty nice.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Seriously considering a 26 soul to replace my kinesis decade virsa.

timnwild

I just rode the hell out of mine, but would have probably powdercoated it if I’d kept it. They do last forever.

Northwind

I think it’s just that they’re the sort of bikes that get ridden a hell of a lot, and that people like to customise and keep in fresh condition. Paint on my Soul was in better condition after a couple of years, than my specialized after a couple of rides, frinstance.

My hemlock just got so muddy, so often that the white turned brown 😆 It took tcut to get it clean so I thought sod it, and turned it a colour that looks good when covered in mud

passtherizla
    Free Member

Paint on my rocket hasn’t been the best but then yeah, it gets ridden pretty hard.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Thats what I thought. Also, plenty of happy riders/owners out there 😀

blurty

I have a 3YO Solaris, still looks great.

Ben_H

I’ve had my Mk2 Soul for the best part of 5 years. Last year, I surveyed the market and noted:

a) that the Mk3 Soul was an expesive upgrade (approaching £1k for new frame, 26″ taper fork and headset) for a very similar bike;
    b) the emegence of 27.5er standard meant that the above seemed even harder to justify.

So, I decided to have my frame repainted. The old gloss black finish was looking ok, but the change gave me that “new bike” feel without the financial commitment.

It cost about £225 including 2-pack paint, decals and a custom head badge. My only regret is not asking to add a 1.5″ head tube…

thegreatape
    Free Member

Custom head badge? Looks like a 70s fanny.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

You know, you lot are not helping!!!! 😀 may have to wait until the new year…

Ben_H

😉

That’s Handle-baa, my good luck mascot.

Here’s a better pic with the head badge actually visible:

dukeduvet

The non drive side stay tends to get a bit battered on my Soul due to taking the wheel in and out but maybe that’s just me.

Paint finish on my classic Soul has been like any other mtb. Odd chip but seems pretty shiny. WD40 brings them up well again

I think as it is so easy to get new decals etc having a respray or powdercoat gives them a new lease of life as Ben H said. When mine is looking a bit worse for wear may go for Kawasaki green

thegreatape
    Free Member

That’s much better.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I have a irrational hatred of the Cotic logo, way too 90’s eclipse/dready for me. If like a head badge made the just says Cotic. Where does someone have such a thing made?

iainc

The non drive side stay tends to get a bit battered on my Soul due to taking the wheel in and out but maybe that’s just me.

nopes, mine too, I find it nigh on impossible to get the wheel in and out without the rotor scuffing the chainstay, even with bike upside down….weird as never done it on numerous other bikes. In fact the stay will tonight get some touch up paint and a new helitape patch once dry, on the scuffs

MoreCashThanDash

I love that white Soul. Though I quite fancy a red one….

deluded
    Free Member

Custom head badge? Looks like a 70s fanny.

Genuine LOL 😀

souldrummer
    Free Member

duked and iainc, I have the same problem with my Soul. I managed to make it a bit easier by filing the dropout slightly to ease the wheel in a bit. It used to be posted as a fix by Cotic. Something to do with compatibility with Shimano rear mechs from what I remember,

adsh
    Free Member

This Soul love in isn’t helping me with my decision to sell mine….

chvck
    Free Member

I have a bfe and the paint is quite worn in places now. Heel rub on the stays, pad rub has exposed a load of silver on the top tube after a very gritty weekend in South Wales. I’ve had it a few years and ridden it a lot though. Instead of repainting I’m just covering worn bits in stickers though…

iainc

souldrummer – Member
    duked and iainc, I have the same problem with my Soul. I managed to make it a bit easier by filing the dropout slightly to ease the wheel in a bit. It used to be posted as a fix by Cotic. Something to do with compatibility with Shimano rear mechs from what I remember,

interesting, thanks for the info. I gave the scores a wee coat of touch up paint last night and put some lizard skins patches over it this am, but might try that next time

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Frames’ is closed to new replies.