Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Cotic Flare Max or Whyte T129RS or other?
  • Oblongbob

Looking at a new bike to take over trail duties from my Whyte e120 – which I still really like, but it is a bit old school and, frankly, old. Also has a hairline crack around top tibe head tube junction, which I’m assured is cosmetic and surface layer only, but you know…not entirely reassuring!

I want something fast, but comfy enough for epics and confident on descents. Will be called on for mix of trail centres, big highland rides, the odd endurance event (Strathpuffer, etc.). I want to go 29er.

I’m 6’3, and about 14.5 stone, so needs to be sturdy enough.

Like the Cotic and the Whyte, and both seem to be well liked/reviewed. Looking at XL in them both. My brother has a rocket, which I had a go on and liked. I’m trying to arrange a test ride of each, but proving tricky.

Anyone tried both? Any thoughts or their respective merits? Also, am I missing a better option?

davosaurusrex

Where are you based? Quest in Worthing have a demo day in a few weeks and were going to get a Flaremax in XL for me to try. However I’m impatient and bought a 21.5 Trek Fuel Ex last week, only one ride on it so far but it’s shaping up to be awesome!

Oh right, sounds like you’re other end of the island. Still, sounds like there is an XL demo floating around, maybe a local dealer could get it in for you?

Lack of tyre clearance on the Whyte put me off and I wanted a frame only in any case

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Whytes don’t do anything for me at all,so I’d go Cotic, if that helps

kelvin

If you’re going to demo bikes, make sure you ride the RocketMAX as well as the FlareMAX. With the Cane Creek air shock if possible. Don’t be put off by the extra travel, it’s nice and lively.

Edit: Hang on, sounds like you want to use your existing forks… what are they?

Oblongbob

Hi. Yes, up north – Glasgow-ish. Hoped to get to cotic demo in Dalbeattie at weekend but alas couldn’t manage. I’ll look at the trek – haven’t had one since my 7000 back in the day!

Not planning to reuse forks – would probably build up cotic frame with mix of new bits and stuff I have, and Whyte is bike only option.

I’ve got a 2010 spicy with offset shock bushings to slacken further for rowdy stuff, so think 120ish travel is right for me. Hence wasn’t considering the Rocket. It is nice thought.

I think they’ve improved clearance on t129 this year, but still not flare-like capacity. Like the idea of lifetime bearing warranty on Whyte! I’ve had a lot of bearings over the years on the e120!

Thanks howsyourdad – simple and effective advice!

kelvin

Not planning to reuse forks

Ah, I’ll stick to my original comment then, don’t rule out the RocketMAX just based on travel. Make sure you ride it, with that shock. You can thank me afterwards…

chakaping
    Free Member

The FlareMAX really impressed me on a recent demo day, I think it’s one of the best bikes I’ve ridden.

I found the RocketMAX a bit lifeless by comparison. Do you think that could have been the carbon wheels Kelvin?

Write-up I did…

First rides: Cotic FlareMAX and RocketMAX

Oblongbob

Thanks chakaping, I’ve actually read your review (it was very useful and put flare into the lead). kelvin, thanks to you too, I’ll aim to try both.

Any more thoughts from the collective? Looking like cotic gets the vote so far…

dmck16
    Free Member

If you can wait a couple of months…

http://tweedlove.com/2017-event-info/the-tweedlove-mega-bike-demo

Looks like it’s a tenner to register, then you can squeeze in as many tests as you can. Sounds like a decent day out!

Oblongbob

Excellent- thanks. Booked in for the flaremax and rocketmax. Shame no whyte.

mboy
    Free Member

The T-129 is an incredible bike and can’t recommend it highly enough. Absolute trail slayer, way faster than it has any right to be! Owned a 2015 Works SCR version, which had limited rear tyre clearance to be fair. The new 2017 models have much improved rear clearance and a better shock to boot.

Only got rid cos the Evil Following I’d pre-ordered months before finally arrived! Would have another one tomorrow over and above anything else for the price range for sure, they may not look the most exciting but ride one and be shocked by how fast it is!

cuyahoga
    Free Member

I rode a couple of FlareMaxes on the same demo day as chakaping and basically, what he said. Tried out both wheel sizes back to back and it really was like getting two bikes in one AND both of them were great fun. My basis for comparisons is way more limited, but if I had the cash knocking around I’d buy one (and two wheelsets) with no hesitation.

Okay, one minor hesitation – I’d do another demo day with Cotic first though, as I’m on the cusp between a medium and large…

The-Duke

I’ve got a 2017 T129 RS in xl size your welcome to try, I’m in Fife so not too far from you. Really is a fantastic bike and the rear tyre clearance is much improved this year, have been running a 2.3 dhr2 through the winter with no issues.

muddy@rseguy

Can’t speak for the cotic but I’ve got a latest model t129s

It’s very good, it’s a big bike with a relaxed geometry but feels very nimble and seems a really good all round bike that’s at home of singletrack, technical trails and open downland. I’m Pretty much sold on the whole idea of 29ers now too.

Oblongbob

Thanks all – really appreciate your thoughts. Basically they’re both brilliant!

Thanks The Duke. Very kind. I may well take you up on the offer. Have family in Dollar just over the border from the Kingdom, so maybe next time I’m through I’ll drop you a line.

TP
    Free Member

Great to see some love for the Whyte, its at the top of my shopping list. I’m trying one in the next week or two and expecting it to be a little different to my nine year old soul….

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Mate of mine deliberated on this for a long time. Ended up with the Coptic, not necessarily as it was the better bike, he just preferred it and is a bit of a Cotic fanboy so was always the favourite. I went on a Cotic test rode with him and ended up preferring the rocket max. It just felt a bigger platform which gave me a bit more confidence. I didn’t notice any downsides as such with three rocket. The same real world weight near as makes no difference and the extra travel didn’t seem to hold it back on the climbs or more nimble trail features. But it was only a relatively short test ride so difficult to make a definate opinion. Having said that I’m saving hard for a rocket max. Over biked but so what.

transition1
    Free Member

XL Smuggler…..

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I know nothing about the whyte but in classic STW fashion I’m going to recommend what I’ve got:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RCbUX8]First ride.[/url] by Evil Goat, on Flickr

I’m far from disappointed.

😀

ehrob

+1 smuggler – should definitely be considered.

Euro
    Free Member

The T129RS was high on my shopping list at the tail end of last summer. At the time I was patiently waiting for for the 2017 bikes to be released when the Rocket Max/Flare appeared on the home pages here. Took the plunge on an XL Rocketmax that day and haven’t looked back. No test rides available over here (N.I.) but where i ride 140mm travel is a good compromise so I never really considered the Flare (120 wouldn’t cut it). No regrets* – it’s a storming bike (little write up here) Had almost ruled out the Whyte as the XL didn’t seem that big on paper.

* Not strictly true – Cotic brought out a Piked up version with a few other spec upgrades a month or so after i got mine – for a bit less than i paid.

sturmeyarcher

FlareMax in XL here, love it. I demo’d a RocketMax too. Both are great. I went for the Flare because, err, not sure really, it felt a bit more nimble and not at all under-biked for me in The Peak. I suspect you’re choosing from a bunch of great bikes and you’ll be happy with any of them. It’ll be down to how well you nail the build and fit.

bigad40
    Free Member

The Whyte has a really short Chain Stay length, it’s quite easy to manual and a great bike to hoon about on, I preferred the T-130 though at the Demo day I attended.
    I’d love to try the Cotic.

widge34
    Free Member

I have a T129RS. Superb bike. Very nimble, comfortable and fast. Impressive.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Flare Max or Whyte T129RS or other?’ is closed to new replies.