Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Cotic flare max and others of that ilk.
  • supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Last night we had a brilliant demo session with cotic bikes. Such a great idea being able to test the bikes on your local trails and get a feel for them.

I’m very smitten with the Flare Max but my riding experience of modern bikes is limited. I currently ride a 12 year old steel hardtail.

So the change to full sus, 29″ wheels and modern geometry is a big one. So before i spend i’d like to try a few other similar type bikes to try and separate the big changes from the detail of whether the cotic is teh most suited for me and the type of riding.

I’m thinking of testing a transition smuggler as well, and will be test riding a 29er steel hardtail as well. Anything else i should consider?

I mostly ride tight singletrack with local built trails with occasional peaks, wales, lakes type trips but mostly natural trails in those places. I like the feel of a stiff back end, (snigger) and dislike wallowy suspension.

Hive mind thoughts?

mark90
    Free Member

T129? A riding mate has a T130 and says it’s the most HT like (in a good way) FS he’s ridden.

Alex

My Flare Max is in Chubby 27.+ guise. But if I was looking to compare it to the 29er configuration, T129 is a good call as would be a Pyga 29Ten. I had the Pyga and it was one of the stiffest read ends (snigger again) for a FS I’d ever ridden.

Shackleton

Banshee Phantom, Kona Process 111, Whyte T-129

chakaping
    Free Member

I like the feel of a stiff back end

Add the Process 111 to your list then, but be aware it’s a bit of a lump (but a total missile on any kind of negative gradient.)

tomaso
    Free Member

I’d add a Stache to your list

chestrockwell

My Orange Segment is ace and well worth a test.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

This is the issue I have with the usual advice of ‘go for a test ride’. The only value a test ride has is as a comparison as the bike you’ve already got or bikes you’ve already had, which, due to the changing nature of the sport, means that any differences int he feel of the bike is not necessarily relative to what you might want out of the bike for the type or style of riding you do. I think there is always an element of buy what you like and get used to it by adjusting your riding style. I test rode a Hightower recently back to back against a Flare Max, and there were elements where the Flare was better and elements where the Hightower was better, but on balance considering the type or riding I do the Flare was easily the better bike. The Flare is a chuffing good bike there is no shadow of a doubt. It’s tight, manoeuvrable, stable on the descents (the clear winning point over the Hightower) and doesn’t seem to be held back but he ‘on paper’ modest 120mm of rear travel or supposedly heavier weight of the steel frame – it actually felt the same weight as the Hightower, but the hightower was 650b+, so the additional weight probably coming from the wheels/tyres.

And having said all that I think i’m going with a Rocket Max!

kayak23

supersessions9-2 – Member
    Last night we had a brilliant demo session with cotic bikes. Such a great idea being able to test the bikes on your local trails and get a feel for them.
    I’m very smitten with the Flare Max

Then get the Flare Max I say. Why cloud things after riding a bike you instantly liked?

I did a Cotic demo day. Never have I instantly loved a bike like the Rocket I demoed. Sod trying others and being all sensible and level-headed about it. I bought one. 😀

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I was the same with the original Rocket in 2012.
    Rode it on a demo day at the Dales Centre in Reeth and ordered one when I got back after the ride.
    Still have it (amongst others but it’s still there and can’t see it going anywhere)
    Cheers
    Steve

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Cheers for the comments.

I’ve ruled out the t129 as the rear tyre limit is 2.2″.

I like the idea of having a second set of 650b+ wheels to run as an option.

I can see what everyone is saying about just getting it and I’ve got to say that no other full suss frames look quite as good as the cotics to me.

Going to wait until the new year, don’t fancy riding through the winter slop on it. Plus I need to save a bit more cash yet.

So I have a few months to get some test rides on other bikes if possible.

crashrash

The Flare looks awesome and if you loved it then go for it. I have a T129 which is also amazing but the rear tyre limit is a pain.

chestrockwell

Segment has boost rear end.

Euro
    Free Member

And having said all that I think i’m going with a Rocket Max!

Hoch fünf!

chakaping
    Free Member

If you’re plus curious I’d restrict your options to boost-spacing frames.

I’m eyeing up the 2017 Trek Fuel EX as a possible future option.

Chainstays at 432mm instead of the lengthy 448mm on the Cotic.

core

I tried a Flare on the Longmynd back in the summer, it was a bit too small (only med left) but I instantly fell in love with it, loads of grip, felt really ‘poppy’ and flickable whilst also composed and stable, dunno, it just felt right. Was sure I was going to buy one, managed to resist, got myself a cheap full sus frame second hand and swapped bits over from my soul as a stop gap and to dabble in fs a bit more.

Thought that was that tbh, but I now can’t stop looking at the website again, it was just sooo good……

Northwind

New Fuel Ex 29 has to be worth a look.

kayla1
    Free Member

I’m struggling to justify £1500 on a Flare frame when I can get A.N. Other FS frame for half that if I shop about but, well, just look at them. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh! 😡

core

I know, it’s a lot of dosh, I think my only way in is if I use some money from the sale of my rally car which is very possible, move on my full sus frame and old spare reba forks, and run it with 26″ forks and wheels in the short term.

There was a large aqua blue one that they sold off with slight paint damage for £700 without shock – I just missed out on it 👿

Alex

Mine now has 29er wheels in for the winter – on a side point, interesting FB post by bird on why Boost <> Plus and their view that MAXXIS WT and similar on 35mm int rims is the sweet spot. Anyway very happy with the 29er on the flare – it’s fab on those as well.

I didn’t fit them for clearance so much as I don’t find chubby tyres at 12psi ish a lot of fun in deep mud. In the dry I reckon I’d prefer it on the chubby’s – more grip, more cush just more fun, but being able to run 29ers with Minion’s is a boon.

There’s an argument I guess about compromise between building a frame that is very flexible in terms of what you can fit in it, and building something for a possibly emerging standard! Never used to be this complicated.

Anyway, Kayla1 you keep talking about buying one, and until you do I’m going to keep telling you how fantastic they are 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/P4hxmd]Flare Max with 29er tyres for the winter[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

kayla1
    Free Member

I know, I know. I talk a good fight but when it comes to pulling out what, to us, is enough for two bangernomics cars I’m struggling to justify it (to myself- OH says ‘go for it’) 😕

harryjan
    Free Member

Redundency check coming enter of December.

If I’ve sorted out a new role by then I know what I’m spending it on! 😀

chrisdw
    Free Member

The t129 tyre clearance has been improved on the 2017 version I believe.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

i’ve settled on getting one. OH Approval has been granted. Just need to test ride the large properly to confirm that’s the right size.

Oh and choose a colour (gunmetal probably).

michaelbowden

RocketMax ordered yesterday following one of Sam’s test days at Peaslake.

Waiting……………..

mark90
    Free Member

Demo’d a few weeks back with Sam. My musings….

Flare – a lively, fun, engaging ride, and I would use the term ‘poppy’. It was easy to jump and play with even the smallest of trail features. Climbed very well and went down well too. I really liked it, but the one nagging doubt was would I be wanting more bike on the bigger stuff.

Rocket – definitely a ‘bigger’ bike feel. Went down like a beast, very forgiving of my lack of skills, could get away with lots. Climbed well too, but the opposite balance of up/down to the Flare, as you would expect. For the demo ride, and most of my riding it just seemed too much bike, it flattened out a lot of the trail features that were fun on the Flare. For big stuff it was awesome.

Rocket Max – my first go on chubby wheels. The grip on the wet natural trails (mud, roots, rocks) was something else. The weight of the bike/wheels/tyres was very noticeable on the longer climbs. I was puffing and dropping off the back of the group – yeh that’s normal for me but it was certainly easier on the Flare, and even the standard Rocket. Fun, but don’t think I’d want chubby as an only full sus. Maybe with the 29er option as well (like Alex has done) it makes more sense.

I have since demo’d and bought an Aeris. This seemed to be the goldilocks bike for me. Not quite as lively as the Flare, but more playful than the Rocket not flattening the trail features as much, though still able to handle the big stuff way above my skill level. And the price played a part too.

Bare in mind this is all from someone who is more used to riding an Anthem so all the bikes are a step up in travel and more ‘progressive’ geometry.

core

kayla1 – Member

I’m struggling to justify £1500 on a Flare frame when I can get A.N. Other FS frame for half that if I shop about but, well, just look at them. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

The new Bird Aeris 120 is coming out in the new year, similar travel to the Flare, similar thing all round I guess (except 1x specific boost rear – bleugh), £850 frame only. Kind of puts it into perspective, but if I’m going to spend even £850 on a frame I need to love it, not be wondering if I should have saved a bit more and got the one I REALLY wanted.

kayla1
    Free Member

The new Aeris is boost, so aaaaaaah’m oot.

scotroutes

The new Aeris is 1x only, so aaaaaah’m oot.

kayla1
    Free Member

But apart from that, yeah, hell of a frame! 😆

chakaping
    Free Member

Thought I’d pop back to mention that I had a demo on the FlareMAX at the weekend and was seriously impressed with it.

Partly wanted to ride it to challenge my opinions on chainstays and it definitely opened my mind on that score. But the main thing was it had such a nice, solid-but-damped feel, even with the basic X Fusion suspension.

If the seat tube was shorter on the large I reckon it’d be my next bike.

More words (and pictures) on blog post here…

First rides: Cotic FlareMAX and RocketMAX

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Cotic flare max and others of that ilk.’ is closed to new replies.