• This topic has 16 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Alex.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cotic flare- anyone got one or ridden one?
  • kayla1
    Free Member

I’ve been saving like the wind for a new frame and really like the look of these but, well, £1500 is a lot to pull out on liking the look of something.

Has anyone got one or ridden one? If so, please tell me they’re awful 😆

martinhutch

There have been a couple of threads on Flare/Flare Max etc. I’m also trying to resist.

Alex

I have one. It’s not awful 🙂

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/the-flare-max-has-left-the-workstand-and-hit-the-trails-1

Since that ride, I’ve done another 400km on it. Mostly in the dry, mainly in the FoD But also a lakes and Antur trip thrown in. Changed tyres for Rekon’s after ripping the sidewall of the WTB ranger at CwmCarn.

The only negatives is it has a low BB (as low as my Aeris and that’s low!) and the rear clearance with a decent 2.8 tyre in there isn’t winter friendly. I’m thinking of running 29s in there just because I can, but the whole chubby thing really works for me.

I might add 10mm to the fork travel (currently set at 120mm) just to see if I prefer (or notice it).

Othewise fab. X-Fusion ‘basic’ shock is absolutely fine. Mine weighs about 30lb on the nose.

kayla1
    Free Member

Ta, totally not helping.

There’s a demo day at Hamsters the first weekend in December but we can’t make it, Sam at Cotic said they’d fetch the bikes up here again if I can corral a few others into a demo day in the new year. That’s, like, aaaaages away though 😆

martinhutch

I was going to join a demo ride out of Dales Bike Centre but luckily picked up a hideous head cold and couldn’t make it. 🙂

Alex

The demo’s are great. No paper signing, no structure, just pick a bike and go ride with Sam (assuming he’s not broken again). I was sold after the demo but I would have bought a large blind and ended up with a medium, so definitely worth waiting for a demo if you’re not sure on sizing.

It’s just one of those bikes that puts a big grin on my face when I ride it. A couple of times I miss the extra travel/slackness of the Aeris, but not enough to ride it instead at the moment. Nice to have both.

Anyway glad I’m helping 🙂

martinhutch

Stop. It.

mrhoppy

I ran a private demo withSam the other day, really good I be able to take the bikes out on terrainyou know to get a proper feel for how the behave.

Basically, to summarise though, the drop link bikes are ace.

Alex

Lakes

[url=https://flic.kr/p/N6fXg7]Untitled[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Malverns

[url=https://flic.kr/p/LGZyHJ]Cotic in the Malverns[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Wasn’t sold on the colour at first, liked the green the Rocket comes in, but definitely grown on me.

I’ll stop helping now! Other than to say my Capra riding mate had a spin and declared himself totally sold as well.

kayla1
    Free Member

Quit it.

davewalsh
    Free Member

Well I wouldn’t have one.

I’d have the Rocket instead. It pedals just as well and doesn’t feel any heavier.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It’s a steal at £1500 considering it rides as well as a £5k carbon super bike.

harryjan
    Free Member

Had a demo day with the awesome Sam today in rather muddy conditions.

Compared to my current On One Codeine 29

Flare Max = More playful, feels quite ‘tight’ so popping your rear wheel out as you pump and such is super easy. Really really efficient pedlar for a FS too even without it locking out. Didn’t have the chance to take it down any real knar terrain but imagine the rear would do well, felt like you had more than 120mm.

Rocket Max = More stable and planted in comparison but less playful partly due to it being noticeably heavier than either the flare or the codeine. It’s a beast going through rock gardens however, the droplink suspension is bloomin good.

What would I buy? Talking myself into a Flare Max at present with a 130mm Pike. Would quite like to try it on some steeper/techier terrain first though.

kayla1
    Free Member

wobbliscott- it’s £1500 for the frame and shock, the full bike is around £2700 or so 😕

I really like the idea of a Flare with 26″ wheels and 150mm forks… My head hurts 🙁

dumbbot
    Free Member

What about the 27.5 flare? Anyone got some words to get wise on that.

amedias
    Free Member

Yep, had a day long demo on one with Sam yesterday, had previously demo’d the rocket and liked it but felt a bit too ‘big’ for most riding so was waiting for the Flare. Had an absolute blast yesterday on it, very capable, very flattering, and very easy to have fun with. I could go into more details but I’ll just sum up by saying I’m now working out what to sell in order to buy one ASAP.

Alex

Good man 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/P7GidS]FoD MTB – Nov 2016[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Works in the mud as well although now have some cheap 29er wheels coming for it. Had a lot of fun sliding about in the mud yesterday…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cotic flare- anyone got one or ridden one?’ is closed to new replies.