Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cotic Escapade Forks
  • thepodge
    Free Member

I have an Escapade with the closed loop / kind of bolt through dropouts on the front and a dynamo hub.

Has anyone mastered the knack of getting the front wheel out without a third arm?

Supposedly you just pull the fork legs apart and then pull the wheel out but I’ve never managed on my own without swearing at the thing.

Seriously considering getting the hacksaw out and putting some slots in myself.

tadpole
    Free Member

Changed mine to a 9mm diameter through qr, wheel changing is easy now!

thepodge
    Free Member

Cant do that with a Dynamo hub

otsdr
    Free Member

9mm through axle here as well, but I would imagine it should be easy enough to spread the fork legs while pushing on the hub flange and brake disk using the thumbs.

steezysix
    Free Member

Can’t you just have the bike upright and spread the legs while lifting to just let the wheel drop out?

landslide

You should just get rid of the wheel, more trouble than it’s worth…

thepodge
    Free Member

otsdr, you’d think that wouldn’t you?

steezysix, that’s no help when putting it in

neat_peat
    Free Member

Having got the Roadrat with the same fork design, its a right PITA to be honest with a standard 9mm QR hub. Yes you can pull the fork legs apart (that’s how I do it) but be really careful with the wheel slipping out under load and the disc slicing your finger.

The issue comes with removing the wheel as there isn’t enough clearance in the brake caliper to twist the hub out of the drop outs, so I end up needing to loosen off mounting bolts on the caliper everytime I want to remove the front wheel.

If I used the bike more I would buy a proper 9mm through axle wheel but the only one I could find was Hope so needed a bit of money spent.

Let me know if you find a cheaper front wheel! In the meantime, I’ve put some extra sealant in the front tube 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

To be honest I’m not taken with the whole bike so I may end up getting rid to solve the problem.

There are quite a few front hubs that will take a bolt through style, Superstar for one and I believe someone I know is running DT Swiss successfully.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Escapade Forks’ is closed to new replies.