Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Cotic Escapade as touring bike
  • pinetree
    Free Member

What’s the general consensus? Anyone built one and used it as a proper tourer? ie. Loaded up with panniers etc.

Thinking about a winter project, as I’ve got a bunch of parts kicking about and fancy building what’s now become known as a “life bike”. Before anyone suggests it, I don’t really want a boring hybrid (I’m still young/too cool for a that… maybe)
    My current hack bike is fine, but its an old steel road frame so can’t take touring width wheels/tyres. Just means that when I load it up the whole thing wobbles around like a bowl of jelly and rides horribly (pretty sure the frame is bent too)

So, I was looking at the escapade as it is remarkably cheap and thought it could be worth a punt. Thinking about popping some 29’er wheels on and a set of alt bars. Anyone else done this? How did it work out?

1-shed
    Free Member

Thinking about popping some 29’er wheels on and a set of alt bars? Thus making it a hybrid.But crack on it’ll probably be lovely.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Some people seem to think that the RR, and therefore I assume the Escapade, are not burly enough to be loaded up. But then I seem to remember a blog, maybe on the Cotic website, of someone who did just that and went across South America or somewhere, on it. My RR seems plenty robust enough, I’ve got some chunky tyres on it and sometimes take it on rough trails hopping off small drops on it and bouncing off rocky trails and it feels robust enough to me, but then again i’ve never loaded it up with panniers so its just got to support my not insignificant bulk. I guess it depends on how much flex you are prepared to tolerate on a bike, Some people seem to think that they should be 100% stiff all of the time and that flex is bad. It didn’t seem to stop people on the olden days in brazed lugged bikes loading them up and heading into the great outdoors.

tobymc

Ive had an old short RR (with crests and midges,SS. – great bike!) and an Escapade. Not panniered either, but the Escapade is much stiffer beast. I don’t think loading one up should worry you too much.

Hooter
    Free Member

Friend of mine did a week touring in Scotland with his recntly and was very pleased with it

rossp
    Free Member

I bought mine to ride back from Croatia on! No problems loaded up, small bit of flex when out the saddle, but nothing you can’t get used to – a good rack makes a massive difference. Took it up and over stelvio pass loaded up and didn’t have any issues even on alpine descents/climbs. It is really comfy for big days in the saddle. I was on 28mm tyres, but could easily fit much bigger if you need the extra comfort.

It looked pretty good too: https://instagram.com/p/p6I3fAJAg_/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Escapade as touring bike’ is closed to new replies.