Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cotic Bfe… weight and comfortable??
  • mccett
    Free Member

Ive been riding a Cove Handjob, Foreplay MX and Hustler for a couple years now and fancy getting rid of the full sus frame (orange, 17.5″, RP23, 2007 model if anyones interested…) for another steel hardtail that can take a hammering. As Cove dont make a hardcore steel frame other than the Sanchez (which i’ve already owned too) i’ve settled on a BFe.
    Couple questions…
    Is a sub 28lb Bfe possible with Pike airs, XM819 wheels on Hopes and Middleburn XT drive train with decent finishing kit (all ripped off the Hustler)? (ive no idea how much my hustler weighs so cant do the maths on comparable frame weights sorry)

Is it comfortable for all day rides as well as nailing myself into trees?

What sort of size? Im 5’10” and think the small would be spot on going by the top tube length.

I’ve poured over the Cotic site for info and just need a few first hand accounts now to convince me to sack off the full sus for good.
    Thanks

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Just got rid of my BFe for a change, mine was a little long for me, great for high speed downhill, but i didnt think as manoueverable as some of my other bikes, not easy to pop up, very long wheelbase. Used it for everything for 9 months or so tho and its very capable, but not sure on sub-28lb build with that kit though. (Although i did run 2.5″ tyres, 321’s and Wotans). Did find mine quite comfortable, even with a thomson post.

cy

Can’t really comment on handling as I’m quite enormously biased, but an all up weight of around 28lbs with that kit would be easily doable. Paul’s Soul has that kind of thing on it and weighs under 27lbs, so as a BFe is 1lb more than a Soul I think you’ll be in the game. Small would be spot on for larking about at your height.

cy

Oh, and with a nice seatpost it’s perfectly civilised for riding around on. I rode from Hebden Bridge to Hathersage on mine 18 months ago. Seatpost is key though. Nearly broke my back using a bit box post on the first prototype, then switched to a USE SUMO Alu and couldn’t believe the difference. Something like a Thomson would be quite harsh I would think. We’ve got SUMO’s in stock, or you could get something carbon maybe?

Mintyjim

Hey Mccet, I’ve got a small Bfe in great condition if you’re interested!? I used a Crank Bros Joplin and it was brilliant for blasting and all day rides, particularly when used with the adjustable seatpost.
    I’m in Cardiff area if you fancy a look…
    Cheers,
    James

nickc

Echo Cy’s comments on seatpost choice, although not steel, (or a Befe, for that matter) my Chameleon with a Bel Air ST (the slightly more padded SL) and a carbon post make it more than comfy enough. For my money’s worth, big long forks, on a strong hardtail is the way forward.

takisawa2

No experience of a Bfe, but I ran a Pace303 with a carbon USE Sumo post. That was pretty comfortable. Was too uncomfortable with a Thomson on.

hora
    Free Member

Cy, how ‘stiff’ is the rear on the BFe? I LOVE my Chameleon (and it’ll be hung in the house for future use) – but is the BFe a softer ‘beast’- less harsh on the rear than the Cham’s alu box-stays for long rides? I really don’t fancy riding my fullsusser (or any really)- as I’m not a ‘fast’ rider downhill etc. Forkwise I have 115-160 adjustable travel forks.

2tyred

I don’t weigh my bikes and i’m not sure what some of these stiff/harsh/plush type terms mean but my Bfe (the large, I’m 6’1) is certainly light and comfortable to ride, despite the jaunty angle my saddle sits up at.

Its got a Marz AM1-SL dual air fork, XT kit and Hope/DT5.1 wheels, with a very short stem (makes a difference).

Yesterday I rode it from my house (north of Glasgow) over to the West Highland Way and along it over Conic Hill and on to the foot of Ben Lomond (30-odd miles). Rode/pushed to the summit, then hammered down the descent – a 25 minute fast, rocky technical descent. The bike tore it up, felt really nippy but totally stable the whole way, and there’s some awkward rocky drops and water bars along the way.

You could do a lot worse.

TheDoog
    Free Member

I almost bought a Bfe but due to cost ended up with a trailstar, which i never got round to building anyway so its just sat in my living room doing nowt. I think what i’m trying to say is, with hindsight, if i’d got the Bfe i’d have prob more inspired to finish the project!!!

bigsi
    Free Member

*Hijack* I notice that 2tyred is 6’1″ riding a large, what length post are you running 2tyred? How much of the post is left in the frame?
    I’m 6’5″ and quite like the look of the Bfe but am thinking it might be a bit too small for me as i have a 34″ inside leg?

Cheers

*/Hijack*

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’m about to build one up. I’ll be happy if mine is sub-30lb – it’s going to be a proper DH/play/jump bike, so I’m not using the lightest of kit.

I’m 5’10” – usually ride a medium Soda for XC, but have ordered a small BFe for extra chuckability. Really looking forward to it – might use it for the Mega…

2tyred

bigsi – i’ve got a 400mm post in mine. For getting around, I have it extended to a cm or so above the ‘safety’ line, but generally drop the saddle down a bit for anything interesting. From what you say, you might want a slightly longer post than I’ve got.

I find the frame ‘longer’ rather than ‘taller’, if that makes sense. I got mine in late 2007, from memory I think I was originally going to go for a medium, but the first batch had sold out by the time I got round to ordering and the next lot came in small/large rather than small/medium/large.

Cy will be able to advise you properly. If you’re central Scotland-based, you’re welcome to try mine out.

richc
    Free Member

I should imagine the harshness of the Bfe has a lot to do with the bigger seatpost size, so with a Thomson it will be harsh as, whereas with a less tough post it might be a little more comfortable

MrSmith
    Free Member

nothing to do with those mahoosive stays then?

Blower
    Free Member

Hmm.. run mine with a thomson post,feels spot on,no harsher than other hardatils i ride.im 5ft11 and have a large bit longer top tube,use it for normal riding,epics,playing whatever,thats what these are for right?

stiff with a thomson post compared to this that and the other,you read into it too much,just bloody ride the god damn thing!!cant tell much difference between this and my cove stiffee both feel nice,both metal.

richc
    Free Member

I only realized how stiff/harsh thomsons make a bike after I switched from a bendy (which I bent) Ti post, to a Thomson. The difference is massive and you can spot/feel it straight away.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Bfe… weight and comfortable??’ is closed to new replies.