Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cotic BFe vs Soul – real world differences?
  • devash
    Free Member

On paper, a Cotic Soul is all the bike I’ll ever need for the riding I do, which is mainly XC, red route trail centre stuff, maximum gnarage = 2-3ft jumps and drops a couple of times per ride. I’ve wanted one for ages but due to circumstances over the past few years I never got round to ordering one and now I’m kicking myself that they’re discontinued in 26″ variety.

I’ve been scanning the classifieds / eBay / pinkbike for a while looking for a decent frame at the right price but I’m quite tempted by the new style 26″ BFe that Cotic are now selling.

I know there’s a few folk on the forums who own one of the new BFe frames so I’d be interested to hear whether you think one would make a decent all-round setup for general riding?

sharkattack

I’ve got a Bfe but I’ve never ridden a Soul. It feels alright to me!

I’m an ex-bmx/downhill rider trying to embrace pedalling so it’s by far the most XC bike I’ve ever had. It flies up hills from my perspective. Apart from that I treat it like a normal bike. I still try to hit the rough stuff as fast as possible. I’ve used it on DH and BMX tracks with no problems. I don’t shy away from jumps and drops and I can also spend all day pootling around on it. It does massive skids.

So yeah, very versatile in my opinion. I can’t imagine how I could use it in any more of an “all-around” fashion really unless I start taking it to the skatepark.

emac65
    Free Member

Got a 27.5 BFE that I bought in their sale – It’s ok for pratting about on & I have a hoot on it for a few hours,but I wouldn’t have one as my only bike…It just takes too much effort to get it moving, got pikes on mine, but did try it with 130mm Revelations & didn’t think it was much, if any better as an all day bike TBH.. I’d go for a soul if that’s what want.

funkmasterp

I had a Bfe (albeit the older version) you can crash into / fall off anything and the bike will simply laugh it off. Great fun, burly bike and I enjoyed mine. It’s basically a Tonka truck of a bike, but I found it can be used for everything. Did the trans-pennine route on it with no issues. Had a U turn fork which helped with the multi-tool bike aspect.

jamj1974

Ridden both and the Soul is a lot more ‘lively’ feeling whereas the BFe is more ‘bulldozer like’. You can feel the Soul flex a little more – or at least I think I can. The BFe is definitely slacker too

chilled76
    Free Member

Is the Bfe slacker? I thought they had the same geometry but the Bfe has heavier gauge tubing?

rossburton
    Free Member

The BFe is rated for bigger forks so can be made slacker but with the same forks they’ll be comparable.

Full geometry charts at cotic.co.uk of course.

chiefgrooveguru

The 26 Soul and BFe were identical geometry until 2016. The 27.5 Soul and BFe have different geometry to each other and the new 26 BFe has geometry like the 27.5 version but adjusted for smaller wheels.

The later BFe’s are remarkably light for their strength – not that much heavier than a Soul and lighter than almost all the competing burly hardtails.

Northwind

I had a BFe and a Soul. The geo was identical but the BFe was a lump, it was capable and competent and all sorts of faint praise but it had no waggy tail at all. The Soul made me ride better basically. The BFe felt like a loyal assistant. The Soul felt like a co-defendant 😆

core

Blatant plug – I’m selling my 26″ Soul frame, it’s a green mk3, tapered steerer, 31.6mm seat tube, all modern kit compatible. I’ve gone full sus, and need to make room, so keen to sell.

From what you’ve said I’d get a soul, regardless of my bike being for sale. A lot of people like bfe’s but I think you need to be hammering them to get the benefits of the extra weight/strength, can feel a bit dead otherwise by all accounts.

That said, the new 26″ bfe looks gorgeous in that red and is a bit more fashionable geometry wise.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

The BFe’s are light for the strength but are as stiff as cheaper lighter Aluminium frames. Hardly any flex so almost pointless, buy a Dartmoor frame.

The Soul fairs much better as there is no claim to be a long travel big hitter and apparently has the steel flex, which IMO is the second most important factor when buying a heavier steel frame. It’s up against some strong competition though and only beats a few (after 2017 price hikes) on price alone.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of BFe’s – the original 853 model and then a later model. Good frames if you’re an

ex-bmx/downhill rider

However all the weekend warriors who only do

2-3ft jumps and drops

mis-bought them and then moaned as they weren’t very comfy. Missed the point completely; whenever was the last time you rode a comfy BMX or dirt jump bike?

pitduck
    Free Member

buy a soul.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cotic BFe vs Soul – real world differences?’ is closed to new replies.