Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Cotic Bfe stealth(ish) build – will I regret…
  • albino
    Free Member

I’m in the process of building up a Bfe with a fairly “stealthy” look. I want to swap the forks out for something up to 160mm with adjustable travel instead of the 150mm 32 Floats.

Will I regret it if I go for a set of white forks (on a very good deal)…or should I stop being such a fanny and just get them…?
    I’m off the bike for a bit until I get an arthroscopy on my knee, so these trivial things keep me going!

RealMan
    Free Member

You sir, have a very nice looking bike. Even with a triple.

Probably still look pretty cool with white forks.

albino
    Free Member

Why, thank you! 🙂 Going double & bash after payday….and new pedals when I can get the old buggers off!

crocodilian
    Free Member

Being a BFe-ist myself, I fully blew my load at this picture. Nice work fella. WHite forks or not, it looks cool.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yes, you will regret it. 160mm forks on s hardtail, pointless. Fit some short travel forks, far more fun.

crocodilian
    Free Member

What the hell, here’s mine (plus white Pikes):

martymac

i reckon it would still look great with white forks.
    and it looks great now.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Also, get rid of the stickers and red bits, its hardly stealthy

smoothchicken

I think you might have just helped me make up my mind to go for a BFe over a Soul. That bike looks very tidy.

crocodilian
    Free Member

I kind of agree with davidtaylforth; although you will probably just get used to 160mm, it is a little over the top (unless you plan on using the bike for DH only). I went from Lyriks to Pikes and much prefer the experience. I stick the travel at around 120mm for most things.

GW
    Free Member

no no no… he def need some 40s, Boxxers or Lyriks on there (maybe even Supermonsters if he can find a set). if you are going to have an ugly badly handling pointless bike there should be no half measures. 😉

what a **** mess, I applaud your utterly failed attempt at stealth too.. musta taken some doing

crocodilian
    Free Member

Spot on. Stick some Boxxers on there. Better yet, stick some 40s on top of the Boxxers and have two pairs of Lyriks for handlebars.

albino
    Free Member

Thanks guys – still can’t make my mind up though!

davidtaylforth – Unfortunately I have pretty severe arthritis in one of my wrists which made it impossible to ride for quite a few years. I’ve found that by using a good quality, long travel fork, (I’ve got a 36 TALAS on the other bike), and using snowboarding wrist guards,I can still get out and ride more often than not. If I was riding rock gardens or drop-offs with a 120mm my wrist would be be buggered!

robob
    Free Member

Wow. I’ve only glanced at three threads this evening, and in each one GW has come across as an utter arse. Now that musta taken some doing.

wrecker
    Free Member

A severe case of small man syndrome i reckon.

GW
    Free Member

do keep up robob 😉

audicoupedave
    Free Member

Grey forks is an option, I run 160mm on my bfe and it’s aewsome do t miss my old full suss at all,
    especially when there totems 🙂

stevede
    Free Member

I’ve just built my gritstone BFe up this afternoon, had the choice in my shed of black Pike 454 dual air u turns or coil Sektor u turns, despite wanting a stealth build i prefer the ride of the Sektors so i’ve gone for those and to be honest it still looks pretty decent. I’ll post pics up tomorrow.

albino
    Free Member

I suppose when I said “stealth(ish)”[notice the ish bit], I really meant black with whatever bits were available off the last bike and in the bits box…sorry to offend any literalists hanging out on the forum 🙄 😉
    Actually I think the ProII freehub would give me away before I could stealthily sneak up on anyone on my bike.

Some good pics there though – those Totems look tasty audicoupedave.

audicoupedave
    Free Member

Picked them up super cheap, there solo airs and just threw an all travel spacer in and hey presto 160mm
    Much cheaper than lyrics, vanillas and talas etc

stevomcd
    Free Member

Got white forks (Lyriks) on my BFe (blue frame though). Looks lush, would be nice on a black frame too.

I’ve (permanently) reduced mine to 140mm though and I can’t imagine wanting more than that on the BFe, would feel a bit wrong. If you’ve got wrist issues, fair enough, but going from 150mm to 160mm is definitely want vs need!

snakebite
    Free Member

Gritstone stealth-tomorrow it gets black Lyriks and the blackest widest carbon bars around. 😀

albino
    Free Member

Snakebite – No, no, no – that’s not stealth! You’ve got a red quick-release and a bit of brown on the saddle! 😉 Very noice indeed bud!

Steveomcd – Agree with the 150/160mm issue – it’s more of an adjustability thing. There may be other solutions but so far the only forks that have not created problems with the wrist are Lyrik U-turns and 36 talas – the larger diameter stantions seem to make a difference. Can’t go for Lyriks as it’s my left wrist which is most affected and a lot of the time I haven;t got the dexterity/strength to adjust the u-turn on the fly. Talas works well but I can’t swap forks from the full sus (Tracer) as they’re 1.5 headtube.
    If there’s a 36 stantioned fork that does 100/140 or similar then I’d definitely give that a go.

stevede
    Free Member

Here’s my new build (only new bits are frame and pedals though). I’m sure it would look better with my black Pikes with black decals as originally planned but i though i’d go for the better fork seems as they both come in around the same weight. Just downsized to a small from an orange medium BFe which i loved, just wanted something a bit more playfull.
    Also to add that Cotic have been brilliant to deal with once again, great customer service and always happy to answer my questions.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

coil Lyriks on a gritstone BFe here. They don’t usually go above 145mm in practice though.

I run Sektors on my Soul and they are much more lightweight forks than the Lyriks (or Pikes for that matter). Too weedy for what a BFe can do IMO.

You need to go 1×9 for sure albino.

stevede
    Free Member

Sektors too weedy? They didn’t do too badly last time they were used at Gawton (where dirt mag do the 1:04)on my old Pitch. Mine are coil, not quite as stiff as the Pikes but not weedy IMO.

jambon
    Free Member

Would look good with matte black wotans methinks, like my C456.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

maybe weedy is the wrong word. What I mean is the BFe suits being ridden hard, and rides better with Pikes or Lyriks. If I ran my Sektors on it (as I do on my more-XC orientated Soul) then I suspect I’d feel under-forked. Not suggesting that Sektors are rubbish or anything – I like them on the Soul – but just not quite suited to a BFe.

mulacs

Sod the forks, what you really need is a new rear Ardent to even up the shocking size disparity between the front and the rear wheels! The front looks like a monster truck wheel … 😯

albino
    Free Member

Would look good with matte black wotans methinks, like my C456.

Yeah, I have been looking at Wotans but nobody seems to stock them, especially in black.

As for the tyres – they’re just the cleanest ones I had to hand when putting it together 😀 Once I’m riding again I’ll be going for high volume all round.

snakebite
    Free Member

its not a red QR, its a DT Bolt thruQR.. 😀

prezet
    Free Member

if you are going to have an ugly badly handling pointless bike there should be no half measures

What’s pointless about this?
    Badly handling in general?

honourablegeorge

reggiegasket – Member
    maybe weedy is the wrong word. What I mean is the BFe suits being ridden hard, and rides better with Pikes or Lyriks. If I ran my Sektors on it (as I do on my more-XC orientated Soul) then I suspect I’d feel under-forked. Not suggesting that Sektors are rubbish or anything – I like them on the Soul – but just not quite suited to a BFe.

What differentiation are you making between Sektors & Pikes? They’re basically the same fork.

bellerophon
    Free Member

White forks will look great, not stealthy but great; but just to warn if you do, you’ll then want white rims, bars and seatpost….

MOD: Image removed due to malware

reggiegasket
    Free Member

pikes are stiffer, and heavier, than the Sektors George. I’ve had both.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

white kit is for tarts, and roadies.

bellerophon
    Free Member

white kit is for tarts

😆

GW
    Free Member

What a load of pish
    BFe’s being hardtails, ride far better with shorter travel forks and a rider who actually knows how to ride a hartail fast over rough ground ~(ie. not sat down!), whether that’s a slammed PIKE, an Argyle or something lighter like a Fox 831/Reba maxle won’t make a massive difference unless you’re nose casing 30ft doubles . You simply need to take a quick look at the almost exclusively XC set-ups here to see there’s no way any of the BFe’s on this thread are being ridden harder than any of those forks are capable of handling. the only thing hard hitting about them is the massive forks and I’d bet most still have the standard medium divey spring in.

prezet
    Free Member

BFe’s being hardtails, ride far better with shorter travel forks and a rider who actually knows how to ride a hartail fast over rough ground.

So ALL hardtails should only be ridden with a max 100mm fork?

GW
    Free Member

should they? 😕

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Bfe stealth(ish) build – will I regret…’ is closed to new replies.