Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • COT -Shooters / ex-shooters – favourite air rifles & pistols through the years
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I don’t own any airguns now but my past favourites that I have owned are:

Fave field target rifle – Daystate MK3 FTR

Favourite spring powered rifle – Air Arms TX200HC

Favourite spring powered pistol – Weihrauch HW45

Fave target pistol – FAS 604

peterfile
    Free Member

Favourite beginner rifle (nice short carbine for sitting in hides) and ultra reliable – BSA Lightning

I installed a .177 gas strut into my .22, which, completely by accident of course, took my rifle way over the legal limit 🙂

Favourite “day out” rifle. Thoeben Rapid 7.

I miss that gun so much.

Current sport shooter of choice. Beretta Silver Pigeon.

Love it, love it, love it. (although I appreciate it’s not air powered)

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Violent fantasist alert must be going ten to the dozen in TJ’s studio apartment right now :wink:!

Started with a BSA Airsporter… but I’m quite happy with the CZ in .17HMR and my BSA CF2 Stutzen in .243 (that things got an amazing crack off the muzzle mind, proper loud, sort of wish I got something that could have been moderated)

derek_starship
    Free Member

I had a .20 cal. Rapid 12 on FAC running at 28ft lbs. It was awesome!

bwaarp
    Free Member

Used to have an Air Arms S410 to practice target shooting. Sold it for a new bike though.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Zulu-Eleven – does that make me a:

ourmaninthenorth

Only ever owned one – BSA Meteor (177) bought for me when I was about 11. Loved it. Discovered my mother destroyed it when parents moved house a few years ago (as well as selling my first car, which they wer estoring for me. Thanks!). Would

Shot .22s and GP14s (cadet SA80) on school range and outdoors, and .762s outdoors.

I have an urge to take up clay shooting. Must fight urge to buy more stuff..!

peterfile
    Free Member

I have an urge to take up clay shooting. Must fight urge to buy more stuff..!

Do it.

Sport shooting is fantastic. Once you get past the initial stages of not really hitting much (which doesn’t last long), it’s a very satisfying day out.

Only thing can be the cost. 2 shooters can easily go through 200 cartridges and twice as many clays. Do that every other weekend and it becomes quite expensive!

I’ve never kept any guns at home, they are always kept up at the club near my family home in Ayrshire, but if you wanted to keep it at home you need to add on the fairly substantial cost of a decent gun cabinet.

I’d definitely think twice about keeping guns at home if you live anywhere remotely urban. It’s not hard for the wrong type of person to see you unloading a gun slip from your car on a Sunday afternoon and turn up with his mates in the middle of the night. Not arriving back at your house wearing anything resembling shooting atire is also a good idea.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

It’s not hard for the wrong type of person to see you unloading a gun slip from your car on a Sunday afternoon and turn up with his mates in the middle of the night.

True – thats why I keep one loaded by the side of my bed 8)

peterfile
    Free Member

True – thats why I keep one loaded by the side of my bed

😀

When I was a baby, my father used to keep a couple of guns in a loft space in a spare bedroom. However, they were supposed to be kept at our family friend’s nearby farm.

The police apparently turned up one evening just to carry out a routine check on the particulars on the certificate and check the weapons etc. The police asked to see the weapons and my dad had to say they were being stored on the farm.

Apparently as soon as the police left to make their way up to the farm, my dad grabbed the guns, jumped in the car and raced at full speed along the back roads to the main farm house, banged frantically at the door until someone answered and then explained they had about 60 seconds to get the guns in the farm store. Think they managed it with about 5 seconds to spare before the police politely asked to have a look at all the weapons in the cabinet 🙂

They stayed there for good after that little incident 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Famers and guns…. Mate’s dad had a beastly S&W revolver (as well as an unnecessary array of hunting rifles for a busy livestock farmer). I bet it never was destroyed after Dunblane….

Sport shooting is fantastic. Once you get past the initial stages of not really hitting much (which doesn’t last long), it’s a very satisfying day out.

Have shot clays a few times. I’m not a bad shot (certainly not good) and I live in a suitably rural part of the world. Were I into poaching, and had no qualms about birds on the ground, I suspect I could eat pheasant daily at this time of year….

rkk01
    Free Member

Mmmm – liking the Daystate, Air Arms and Theoben ^^

Started out on an old BSA Cadet Major .177, which is still at my paretns house. Certainly been used by 3 (if not 4 generations), but have stopped the kids using it now as one of the castings is cracked.

First proper air rifle was a Webley Vulcan .22 – used for pigeons, crows / magpies and very many tin cans!! Always liked the Air Arms Camargue – lovely looking gun

Still have one of the very first pre-charged pneumatics on the UK market. Lovely piece of kit, figured high comb walnut stock. Not in use at the moment as it needs some new o-rings and a re-threaded bolt – bit of a (failed) long term project to get it back into working order

Similar to this

legalalien
    Free Member

Shooting is a great hobby. Haven’t shot airguns for a while, as the Sig P229 .40 is a bit more fun 🙂

Love this gun. It’s far more accurate than I could ever be, utterly reliable but it’s a touch heavy for daily carry. Going for a poo while carrying requires some forethought.

Here’s a clip of an IDPA practice session. Decent shooting if I say so myself 😉

EDIT – sorry, this is a video link. Tried to embed it, but can’t remember exactly which link I need to paste. Click on it and it will take you to a short video of me shooting.

nickf
    Free Member

Only thing can be the cost. 2 shooters can easily go through 200 cartridges and twice as many clays. Do that every other weekend and it becomes quite expensive!

Clays aren’t that bad – my club charges 22p per clay, and cartridges cost about the same. My son and I used around 140 clays and 180 cartridges last weekend (he just loves hitting the clay with the second barrel if he misses with the first). Total cost of about £70, which for the best part of a day out with my lad isn’t extortionate.

Of course, then you have to add the cost of a gun, club membership, new kit (as with cycling, there’s always something you need)….so it all adds up.

(Beretta 686 Gold E 12g here)

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Interesting young lass who you wouldn’t want to attack in a dark alley:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KnBDIbgbMk&feature=player_embedded[/video]

derek_starship
    Free Member

rkk01 – pic doesn’t work.

Is your early precharged a Galway Fieldmaster?

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve got a Webley .22 that I was given when I was about 10…. put a new spring in it and it’s still fine.
    Air rifle of choice though is my AirArms S200 – I have no idea how they can make these things so accurate!
    I’ve got 4 shotguns:
    2 x SS 12 bore that Dad left me (one of which is now worth about £5k!)
    1 x SS 410 which is brilliant for getting rid of moles 🙂
    1 UO 12 bore which is nice
    I did have a Beretta 686 once but sold it – silly move.

rkk01
    Free Member

Is your early precharged a Galway Fieldmaster?

It is indeed – very little info / pics on the net to link to

peterfile
    Free Member

Total cost of about £70, which for the best part of a day out with my lad isn’t extortionate.

Yeah, I agree to a certain extent (we normally spend about £100-£120 for 2 shooters, stupid bloody voice activated pull mechanisms account for about 25% of all clays being wasted with cries of “good shot!” ha ha)

It’s just that the set-up (i.e. kit costs) are similar to getting into MTB, but then you have to spend more money every time you go out. Whereas with the bike it’s (in most circumstances) free after the initial equipment outlay.

neninja
    Free Member

Used to do some competitive field target shooting in the 80’s. Still got my air rifle I used back then as I can’t bear to sell it.

It’s a Feinwerkbau sport 124 Mk2 .177 – it’s still as accurate as the day I first bought it with it’s original 1980’s Tasco 4×32 sight.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

I’ve got a crappy air rifle which I’d like to replace. Mainly I shoot pigeons and my current rifle just seems to annoy them (they are Stevenage pigeons, so pretty hard).

I’d quite like something suitable for dispatching them simply and effectively. Any ideas?*

* – preferably limited to ideas about air guns……

hora
    Free Member

This is my favourite [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWVbDnQGIEw[/video]

legalalien
    Free Member

Zulu-Eleven – Interesting young lass who you wouldn’t want to attack in a dark alley:

Yes, she’s quite famous on this side of the pond. More talent in her ponytail than me and all my shooting buddies put together.

This is my current weapon of choice although like already mentioned, I have a gun wish list almost as long as my MTB upgrade list 😛

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve got a crappy air rifle which I’d like to replace. Mainly I shoot pigeons and my current rifle just seems to annoy them (they are Stevenage pigeons, so pretty hard).

I’d quite like something suitable for dispatching them simply and effectively. Any ideas?*

* – preferably limited to ideas about air guns……

The BSA Lightning I started with is a great little gun. Nice and balanced, full legal limit for power, short carbine so easy to move around in hides etc. Plus it’s pretty cheap and bombproof – not much to go wrong.

If you can’t kill a pigeon with 12ft lbs then you just need to improve your aim 😉

rkk01
    Free Member

I shoot pigeons and my current rifle just seems to annoy them

Pigeon is a pretty hard target for an air rifle. You need to be able to take a shot at pretty close range to get a clean kill – beyond that you are more likely to wound the bird, which is inhumane and irresponsible.

.22 has the best “stopping power” – the heavier slug as more kinetic energy, although IIRC the velocity drops off, and obviously the trajectory is less flat than a .177

derek_starship
    Free Member

Pigeons MUST be head shot if taken on with an air rifle. A chest shot is unlikely to result in a clean, humane kill.

Have a look at the BSA Lightning Tactical – I’d recommend .177 all day long as it is faster and flatter (trajectory) and therefore easier to shoot accurately a varying ranges (10-35 yards if you are up to the job).

redthunder
    Free Member

Archery for me 🙂

However, I do use a HW45 and Edgar Brothers air rifle.

Back to Archery I just started instictive shooting… why did’nt I do this years ago.

Wand training 🙂

Robin Hood Shot – Wand Archery Training by SGMTB, on Flickr

derek_starship
    Free Member

neninja – classic 80s kit. Good to see you’ve still got it.

rkk01
    Free Member

Anyone used 0.20 as a halfway house between 177 and 22? I gather that 0.20 has been gaining in popularity

timmys

I don’t use it much but I have a very early model Air Arms TX200. Previous to that had a Webley Tracker De-luxe and my first air rifle of my own was a BSA Meteor. Even after all these years I still lust after a Theoben Rapid 7!

(You can also add me to the Beretta 686/Silver Pigeon club, in fact I have a 12 and a 20).

derek_starship
    Free Member

rkk01 – at sub 12ft/lbs there is some benefit in the lighter, faster .20 cal.. For example pellet drop at 40 yards probably half that of .22.

transapp
    Free Member

Ahh, an absolutly knackerd Diana when I was about 12, swiftly led to a BSA Stutzen (still in the loft), a BSA Supersport SS in .25 (close range ratter, aslo stil in the loft) and a BSA Superstar with a Theoben gas strut. I think I used the Supersport with a .177 spring and piston weight for a while, but really sholdn’t have done.
    My old man introduced me to guns at a very early age, I still remember his collection of shotguns including a now, completly illegal semi auto shotgun. Damn lethal, and you could only tell it was loaded by pulling the trigger!
    As far as pidgeons go, yes, head shots only, but then I only ever took head shots for anything, rats, rabbits, magpies etc. Nothing else was certain.
    I miss it a lot now, loved the early morning walks across the fields, miss the food even more!

br
    Free Member

Started with a GAT gun, then Webley (.22 but forget the name), Meteor and then a Weihrauch HW55 for my 14th (use to ride across town to the gunclub with it 🙂

Still have it now, and only just used it on Saturday, up at my folks with my son, who we bought a small cadet type .177 a couple of years ago. Like this one, but now its got a 40mm scope on. No power but very, very accurate.

Air guns are great, once a kid learns how to use one they can be trusted to handle guns. All my kids learnt, and all are very safe.

We are moving into the country so now I’m looking for something with a bit more power to humanly kill squirrels and like who plague my folks’ place – any recs?

rkk01
    Free Member

I miss it a lot now, loved the early morning walks across the fields, miss the food even more!

Seem to be quite a few “ex” shooters. I’d hesitate to put myself in that category, but reality says otherwise – no longer live in a suitable area, don’t get the time, and I fear that my wife’s attitudes towards shooting aren’t as tolerant as they were 15-20 years ago

Be interested to know the reason…

warton
    Free Member

my mum lives in the country, would it be feasible for me to buy an air rifle and go shooting? would I need land owners permission? Its something I’d be interested in, rabbit and pigeon on tap…

rkk01
    Free Member

would I need land owners permission?

Yes

Not having permission = poaching

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Started off with this, its a FWB300S

Then bought one of these, a FWB601 and it was one of the finest made precision items I have ever owned

Not exactly killing machines, but superb for the task they were made for, back injury finished my 10m target shooting days

Only shooting I do now is with one of these

redthunder
    Free Member

For squirrels … forget air rifles.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1UAcdBQyUs[/video]

Not me BTW

and
    Not for the fluffy animal lovers. If I was hungry I’d do it.

br
    Free Member

Then bought one of these, a FWB601 and it was one of the finest made precision items I have ever owned

There is something very satisfying to be had from using quality equipment, the HW55 I’ve got will (when mounted 🙂 put a pellet exactly where the previous one went, time after time.

guido

I shot FT for years as a kid/teen using my much loved HW77K
    Just got back to it with a Air Arms S400. Went to local HFT club and got 55/60 on my second go….still got it. 😀

And getting permission is a lot easier now im 36 and not 14!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘COT -Shooters / ex-shooters – favourite air rifles & pistols through the years’ is closed to new replies.