Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Costochondritis
  • adjustablewench
    Free Member

Been in pain with this for 5 weeks now – as much as I try and kid myself its easing iff it seems to keep rearing its ugly head again with avengence

Anyone have any advice – will try anything short of rubbing myself all over with powdered rhino horn atm as it is horrendous 🙁

slackalice
    Free Member

Ouch!

Presumably you’re tackling it with OTC pain killers and anti-inflammatories? Option could be stronger one’s from your GP?

Ive not had it myself, although for some reason, acupuncture came immediately to mind whilst reading your post. And for fear of fanning the flames of the soul-less STW community, so did Reiki – for relaxation.

And yes, you are correct, powdered Rhino horn is horrendous and illegal, so you’re right not to go there 😉

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Currently on naparoxen and codeine, which almost get rid of it until I lie down – which is horrible and makes sleep tricky.

Powdered rhino horn is an abomination – and if it did remote stand a hope of doing what its claimed to do, ut really wouldnt be a help!

StefMcDef
    Free Member

My partner suffers from this. Would be interested to hear of any successful treatments for it, other than “here’s some stronger painkillers than the last lot” which seems to be all she gets from her GP.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Will let you know what i find out. a friend of mine is doing accupucture as an part of his extended role, will have a chat with him.

I feel for your partner if she suffers with this as a chronic condition. i have read so much and it is really hard to get your head around the fact it can just start out of the blue may or may not go within 6-8 weeks or it may just hang around for years.

I’ve had it 5 weeks and cannot imaging taking this level of medication for much longer – but when i try to stop i become a bear with a sore head rib and that isn’t fair on those around me and makes doing anything impossible.

Rapidly my new hobby is becoming riding under the influence of codeine – my not make the trails come alive but makes me feel slightly invincible (within reason and not in heavy traffic – before i get told off!)

Spud

Had it for a couple of years, only really an issue for me if I sneeze or stretch my arms/ shoulders. Feels like I’ve been punched in the chest if I sneeze without holding my chest first.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Has it always been like that? I read that it does settle down – how long did it take for the really painful symptoms to ease off?

loddrik
    Free Member

Bloody hell, I’ve had this. I didn’t know it was a condition until I read this post. Lasted a couple on months iirc. I’m off to tell the wife and demand some of the sympathy that I should have had at the time.

Spud

Yep, started with sharp pains when I sneezed and got worse to what it feels like now. I’ve read it can clear up quite quickly or hang around. No treatment offered when I asked. Just take anti-inflamitaries when it’s too bad. I just put my fist in my sternum when I’m going to sneeze. I’ve no idea what caused it either. One locum GP told me it was nothing, it was normal to get pains and it will be fine. My regular one a few months later got it immediately.

tiredjohn

Had a bad bout of this in about 2003, No one could tell me what it was for months which was quite scary but having a firm diagnosis helped. Not wanting to scare you but for me it hung around for years, not all the time but would come in bouts for a few days at a time. What really helped me was once I got my head around the fact that no matter how much it hurt it actually was just symptomatic and there was nothing damaging occurring. After that the worry about the pain went away which seemed to make it hurt less in turn. Hope it clears up for you soon.

LadyAlexMTB
    Free Member

I have had this. It was awful. I was in huge amounts of pain and sleeping was really hard. I couldn’t do any sport and even walking was hard. I was put on strong painkillers by the GP while waiting (3 months) for a scan.

I asked the GP if I could see a physio (at my own expense) but was told I had to wait until after the scan, to be safe.

At the scan, the lady performing it told me the was nothing wrong internally and to see a physio. She said that is almost always the case when presented with a non-elderly, non-obese, reasonably healthy and fit patient.

Saw a phsyio, she manipulated my diaphragm. Instant relief.

So perhaps you could try seeing a physio?

jools182
    Free Member

it’s been mentioned to me as I often have a very achy ribcage, and often get panicky and breathless when walking (thankfully not when riding)

I’ve got lyme disease and have been told that it can be related

I mostly feel very achy and weak

geman
    Free Member

Beginning to suspect I may have this , suffered with real bad chest pains for 16 months now had every test available ecg, mri, ct, bloods nothing found .
    to any in this thread does your chest feel tender to touch or sore internally I only get pain and breathless for first30 mins of exercise and after when riding hard ,used to race regularly till this , now cant….gutted

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Costochondritis’ is closed to new replies.