Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Costco
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Worth signing up for? I’m apparently eligible through work.

allthepies
    Free Member

Was thinking the same.

How many bog rolls can I stash in the garage 💡

Drac

I use to be a member they’re having some cracking deals but you have to be very controlled not to spend.

They’re meat is very good the steaks are lovely, they do good warranties on electrical goods too.

MoreCashThanDash

You need to be disciplined, and know your prices elsewhere, but if you think before you spend it is worthwhile. Pretty much all the own brand food is great quality, especially the meat.

We let ours lapse, kept blowing our saving on boxes of their amazing HUGE muffins…..

busydog
    Free Member

you have to be very controlled not to spend.

We have a membership here in the States, but exactly what Drac said–it is really easy to get caught up in all the stuff and way overdo it. We take a detailed list of what we need and stick to it—otherwise I’d need a bigger pickup truck.

I like their merchandising trick of moving a lot of items in the store to new locations about every month so you have to go up and down every aisle to find what you are looking for—-and conveniently spot all kinds of things you weren’t looking for and “suddenly just must have”.

allthepies
    Free Member

We let ours lapse, kept blowing our saving on boxes of their amazing HUGE muffins….

Yeah, those muffins are outrageous 😆

onandon
    Free Member

I do a shops there weekly. The roast chickens are AMAZING, as are the steaks ( and the meat in general )
    Some good offers on tools and tv’s etc

Car tyres can be amazing prices when they have a special offer.

Where are you based? Some stores are better than others. Farnborough is far better than the one in reading.

EDIT Molgrips – aren’t you based around Farnborough ? I’m due a visit to the store at the weekend. I can get you in as a guest if you want to look around.

Kryton57

Saturdays are basically a free lunch, as they set out all there samples for you to savour. Wander around, eat stuff and ponder over whether you really need 5L of Mobil 1 at that crazy price…

allthepies
    Free Member

Farnborough would be my local outlet.

Pembo
    Free Member

How many bog rolls sandwich and freezer bags can I stash in the garage

FTFY 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m only in Farnborough for work on and on, thanks tho.

Drac

That’ll make it worse as you’ll buy even more.

Tom83

Used to have a card with my old company. Best price for crates of desperados at the time.

GrahamS

Meat is really good. Closer to butcher quality than supermarket quality if that makes sense.
    They do good cheese wheels as well.

Just be careful of you or the missus buying a two dozen of something to save a few quid then realising you have nowhere to put them (a common occurrence in our house).

maccruiskeen

I’m apparently eligible through work.

everyone’s elegible. The difference between Joe Public and ‘trade’ is the vat is itemised on the cost of the trade membership.

Bogrolls. Binbags. Bagels. Blaundry Betergent. Other than that everything is either a bit Ready Meal or sold in to large a volume to be useful unless you have a big family or like eating the same stuff all the time.

I can get you in as a guest if you want to look around.

If you’re wondering about it – strictly speaking you need to have a card to walk in – but they’re just making that check at the entrance as you won’t be able to pay for anything without a card. But… you can walk in unchallenged through the ‘exit’ as thats how you get to the membership desk – then just walk into the store through the checkouts – walk around and see what they sell and whether you want it. Its a very particular mix of stuff, it’ll either grab you it won’t. Personally its hardly worth me having a card but I’d resent buying bogrolls anywhere else and I really appreciate a good bin bag.

I wouldn’t shop there often but its good for things that you’ll always need and also easily forget on your weekly shop

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The meat is very good quality and the ready made meals are great though not particularly cheap. I visit regularly to see what’s on, its not necessarily cheap unless you buy stuff in bulk, but they have some very good deals on various products. I’ve got my eye on a new Panasonic TV at the moment that is £500 cheaper than anywhere else and with the £250 cash back offer Panasonic has on at the moment it make for a fantastic deal. I got a pair of tyre for the SMax a few months ago and saved the £30 annual fee in one go compared with other prices around for the same tyre. Its also great for things like Dishwasher tabs and household detergents and tinned stuff. I’d say give it a go for a year.

MoreCashThanDash

Apparently they sell off winter tyres around this time of year – a mate got some cheap steel wheels and got winter tyres on them half price a couple of years ago

maccruiskeen

^makes mental note as I run winters all year but the fronts on one van are getting to the end of their life and I don’t want to put summers on^

although I doubt they’re selling them off as in disposing of old stock – winter tyres are only manufactured in the summer, by the time winter arrives the stock is running out so you pay top dollar for them then

sharkbait
    Free Member

Become a trade member and you get free coffee and muffins from 10:30 before the [minion] members are allowed in.
    The only downside to Costco is the £250 I spend every time I go – and I’ve trimmed it right down from the early ‘oh my god, lets buy everything’ days.

allfankledup

We use the cafe routinely to fed the family. Can feed a family of 5 for less than a tenner – jacket spuds, hot dogs and pizza. Tastes great though 😉

There are some great deals – we buy pasta en masse….

tomhoward

It’s the massive boxes of apple turnovers that are my weakness. And the smoked salmon. And the cheese. And the sweets.

I’d go in, marvel at how cheap it was, spend a weeks food budget, then realise I’d bought 7 items.

It’s like when you went shopping with your parents when you were small, and everything seems massive. Except now, you are an adult, and it all seems massive…

firestarter
    Free Member

The warranty on stuff bought there is brilliant too. My new tv has 5 years free on it. I took a washer back after 3 years and was given an 80 quid upgraded one in exchange as they didnt have same one as mine in stock. No questions asked just scanned my card and went and got it for me

tron
    Free Member

Go to your local costco, explain that you’re eligible to be a member, and that you’d like a pass to have a look around. Then work out if you’ll save more than the cost of membership.

We had a look around as they’re cheap for Mobil 1 oil, and that’s what I need for my car. The Mobil 1 was cheap. A lot of other things weren’t particularly cheap. I’m not saying that there aren’t bargains, but there are a lot of huge pack sizes you never buy anywhere else, and rather than doing the sums, you can assume that it’s a good price. In the end, we worked out it was a fair bit cheaper to buy oil from Ebay. Nothing there particularly grabbed us.

freeagent
    Free Member

I take the wife and kids to the café when it is my turn to pay for dinner, nice food, can feed four of us and get change from a tenner.

We have saved a fortune over the years with COSTCO. Huggies nappies (when on offer) were cheaper than anywhere else.
    Their birthday cakes (size of a paving slab and £12) are perfect for kids parties
    Warranty on everything I ace – I took an airbed back last month, which I’d had for about 9 months, and had developed a leak. no receipt, no arguments, money back on my debit card in minutes.

If you have a family, and don’t get carried away with things, i’d say it is worth the cost of membership.

sparksmcguff

Costco is so cool I haven’t even bothered to read the preceeding posts. Sign up, someone in your organisation is making mint from your membership and you can never have too much toilet paper or too many kilos of mince beef/hot dog sausages/litre bottles of ketchup (made that last one up the ketchup comes in “big” but many of them.

ell_tell
    Free Member

I used to be a member. It was great for household supplies and big jars of Sacla Pesto 🙂

The Cardiff Branch also sell car tyres and if I recall also have a fitting centre oddly enough.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I used to work for them *shudder*

Giant pizza was good, had an oven it just fitted into. As said though, offers aren’t all that…

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Costco’ is closed to new replies.