Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • costa Rica?
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Anyone been or mtbing? Advice. ..

loum
    Free Member

Great surfing on the Pacific coast.
    Feels friendly and safe. I think a lot of Americans are using it instead of Mexico now. English widely spoken.
    Unfortunately, didn’t do any riding but there were a few companies ofering bike hire/ guiding that looked decent and trustworthy.
    Funnilly enough, it seemed to be more so at the coastal areas than inland, where it seemed more about wildlife/hillwalking.

kjcc25
    Free Member

Didn’t do any mountain biking but saw lots of trails with potential and I know there are companies that do mountain biking trips of different levels of difficulty.
    It is a great country especially for wildlife. Tortuguero on the Caribbean coast is a fantastic place to visit, no mountain biking, and access only by boat or plane. The south east coastline on the Caribbean has lots of trails but unsure about use for mountain biking as some are in nationa parks.
    The Arenal Volcano area is another great area with lots of unsurfaced roads and while I was there did see lots of mountain bikes on these roads.
    The cloud forest in the interior is high up and the two roads up are long and rough and in the wet season can get very muddy requiring 4×4 to get there. There is a trail down from Monteverde, main town in the cloud forest, to the Arenal area that is only used by groups on horses. I’m sure this might have mountain bike potential.
    The Pacific coastline is much drier than the interior and eastern side and probably has the better trails for mountain biking.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I’ve seen a few comapnies on line so need to do a bit of research just was hoping for a recommendation.
    Anyone been scuba diving there? Wondering if we could have holiday combining the two when they have the manta ray mass exodus!

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Did some diving to the north of tamarindo. Visibility wasn’t great but we saw plenty of fish including a few sharks. The boat was run out of playa coco (i think that was the name) where there are also trips to oli’s point. Did some.biking but only on dirt roads. Can also recommend the kyaking up near the volcano.

yetim
    Free Member

Stayed here
    http://www.pacuarelodge.com/php/honeymoons.php
    It was amazing, you can only get in and out by raft or helicopter

Did a 3 week pivate tour put together by these people, see below, the lady who put it together for us was really good, really helpful. They have loads of info for you even if you end up not going with them

http://www.sunvil.co.uk/

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Thanks for that guys sounds good I shall take a look.

fizzicist
    Free Member

Look up La Ruta. Brutal mtb race!

budgierider67

Been diving at Cocos which was awesome.
    100+ hammerheads by day & 100+ white tip reef sharks hunting by night.
    On the mainland, the rain forest was impressive, as were the crocs we saw from a road bridge near San Jose.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Fizzcist is it something you’ve done?
    Budgierider67 tell me more that sounds ace! What company did you dive with??

fizzicist
    Free Member

Munge-chick – no, my brother did it about five years back and reported it back as being rather good. The first day was the toughest day he’s ever done by all accounts.

budgierider67

I went on a liveaboard called the Okeanos Aggressor. It’s not day boat diving. I think the shortest trip is a week. It’s a lumpy 32 hour trip out to Cocos Island and then the diving is fairly challenging with strong currents. It’s as good as diving gets though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘costa Rica?’ is closed to new replies.