Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Costa @ Longleat
  • roger_mellie

Some of my road riding buddies were refused service in costa at Longleat today as they were cyclists. There were only 5 of them so they weren’t descending en mass and the cafe was their planned mid-ride brown stop.
    Apparently security had told the Costa staff they were not to serve cyclists. My pals were not amused as you can probably imagine.
    Is there a local issue with cyclists going through Longleat that the estate want to disuade?
    Anyone else had this charming experience?
    Cheers

bruneep

I’d not go to a coffee shop that needed security

RobHilton
    Free Member

Sounds ridiculous – I’d guess twitter might be a good place to make some noise about it.

roger_mellie

I’d not go to a coffee shop that needed security

Quite. The security belong to Longleat estate, not Costa itself 😉

benpinnick

I imagine they’re not happy about the new bike park up the road as much as anything else is likely. Maybe write to Lord Bath about it (Seriously, he seems like a decent, if bonkers, chap).

roger_mellie

Sounds ridiculous – I’d guess twitter might be a good place to make some noise about it.

?Indeed. Quite rediculous. Twitter is being employed 😉

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I don’t know either way, but I wonder if security at Longleat Center Parcs would let you on-site to visit the Starbucks in the Plaza, or the one in the Jardin Des Sports?

I suspect not, but it might be worth enquiring.

oldtalent
    Free Member

It does sound linked to windhill bike park. Not sure how that’s going to pan out. The carpark seemed miles away from the bikepark and having to cross through their land to reach it seemed less than ideal.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Fairly certain this has nothing to do with the bike park. Sustrans route runs through Longleat, it’s taken ongoing goodwill on both sides to keep this access open, Longleat understandably don’t want cyclists using this access to get around paying to use the facilities, so asking Costa to not serve cyclists is fair enough

It has taken a lot of work to keep the sustrans route open, I use it a lot, awesome to be able to finish a ride rolling past the house and away from main roads

poah
    Free Member

their own fault for actually wanting a costa coffee

br
    Free Member

Get someone in normal clothes to put in a big order, and then as they’re going to pay have the cyclists come in to collect.

When they’re told they can’t, walk out saying “sorry, hadn’t realised we couldn’t drink here”?

kongman28
    Free Member

I would’ve thought some of the comments above are accurate regarding the fact that Longleat is now a ‘theme’ park. I doubt you could ride through Alton Towers for a coffee for example and like others have said it’s nice to be able to ride through otherwise unhindered. For a stop very near the Costa next time, The Bath Arms in Horningsham would probably welcome the business.

roger_mellie

Captain b – useful info thanks. In that case I’d suggest Longleat need to communicate that the concessions on the estate are only open to those who have paid the park entry fees if they want to discourage people on bikes from straying from the presumably permissive Sustrans route, rather than the heavy handed ‘no cyclists’ instruction Longleat have given their security & Costa staff.

Kongman – thanks, I’ll pass on that suggestion of the alternative pit stop.

cinnamon_girl

They would have received a warm welcome at Imber Church on Salisbury Plain which isn’t far away. No discrimination whatsoever, we’re used to groups of walkers, runners, roadies, mountain bikers, motorbikerists, mx’ers.

We sell tea, coffee, hot chocolate with biscuits. The home made cakes were extremely popular today and sold out really quickly.

Open tomorrow and Easter Monday.

http://www.imberchurch.org.uk/

belugabob
    Free Member

Personally, I’d never plan a stop at a Costa coffee, as an independent cafe is likely to be much better value for money (and pay a fairer level of tax). The above story convinces me that I chose wisely.

belugabob
    Free Member

Double (decaff) post

MoreCashThanDash

Given that Costa made a point of stating that they paid their taxes when Starbucks were in the news for not doing so, I’m not sure the tax reason stands. Though I’ll go independent whenever I can.

nealglover
    Free Member

rather than the heavy handed ‘no cyclists’ instruction Longleat have given their security & Costa staff.

I would imagine that the actual message Longleat gave the security staff was quite different.
    But was translated into “no cyclists” for simplicity.

cinnamon_girl

Probably concerned with spoiling their middle-class idyll. 😆

orangeboy
    Free Member

Is the new bike park not on part of the longleat estate anyway ?

roger_mellie

Thanks cinnamon girl for the alternative suggestion 🙂 I’ll pass it on.

reformedfatty
    Free Member

The bike park can hardly be described as new, it was being ridden with the consent of the estate for years before being branded wind hill.

This is about the sustrans route, I used to encounter similar hostility when I rode there, and that was 6-7 years ago now!

orangeboy
    Free Member

you have to pay to ride rather just be part of the local
    Club to ride those trails now. But I guess that’s just two side of the same thing. Pay to ride or pay to be in the club.

I do often ride through the estate on my road bike and have never had an issue

cinnamon_girl

Thanks cinnamon girl for the alternative suggestion I’ll pass it on.

You’re welcome. I find it sad that this type of discrimination exists, even more so when you’re talking about road cyclists that won’t be leaving a trail of dirt behind them. The holiday centre won’t receive favourable publicity and it’s also sending out a snotty message to the local population who may also be cyclists.

andyv
    Free Member

Local here.

The Costa thing and Windhill B1kepark are entirely unconnected.

The Costa in Longleat is off the sustains route. It is a shame that Longleat have taken this view but fully understandable that they do not wish non-paying through traffic using the parks fee-paying customer facilities.

Windhill is much improved fron the old black canon trails. Massive work has gone into them and it is now a pay and play Park. Brilliant and worth a visit. Outside of Windhill and the safari Park there are still many many trails around the forest free to ride.

For sustenance as stated above the Bath Arms in Crockerton, the other Bath Arms in Horningsham, and the Shearwater cafe are all excellent stops.

Ps, Windhill carpark is half a mile ride (if that) on a concrete road from the trailhead. Not “miles” as stated above.

roger_mellie

Thanks Andy, much appreciated.

belugabob
    Free Member

Given that Costa made a point of stating that they paid their taxes when Starbucks were in the news for not doing so, I’m not sure the tax reason stands. Though I’ll go independent whenever I can.

I stand corrected – just shows how old the fake news thing is 😉

I’m still not comfortable with the extent of the influence of these chains – do we really need 4 of them in one town?(there may be more lurking, that I’m unaware of)
    Always prefer the independent shops, myself.

nealglover
    Free Member

do we really need 4 of them in one town?

If they weren’t doing well they would close, so probably, yes.

belugabob
    Free Member

If they weren’t doing well they would close, so probably, yes.

Fair point – would be interesting to know why they are doing so well, but i suppose there are a lot of competitors trying to work it out, too.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

You should do what my father did back in the 50’s. The now run down place just off Langsett roundabout at the end of Woodhead pass used to be quite a posh hotel. My father and a few mates, all with partners, arrived for a meal whilst out on a motorbike run, he was refused as they didn’t serve motorcyclists. A week or so later they went again, this time in cars and wearing suits, all ordered food and when it arrived announced that they’d just remembered that they didn’t serve motorcyclists so got up and left.

steve_b77
    Free Member

planned mid-ride brown stop

Didn’t know Costa served that nowadays!!

DT78
    Free Member

Brown stop?

Presume the alternative is a yellow stop?

Never heard the phrase before…

njee20
    Free Member

Fair point – would be interesting to know why they are doing so well

Because a lot of people like their products, which very predictable. Some independents are good, but some are really shit, and I’m not a big coffee snob.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I assumed it was a reference to coffee. I’m obviously more grown up than some of you.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I assumed it was a reference to coffee. I’m obviously more grown up than some of you.

Whereas a stop for lager…..

thegreatape
    Free Member

…makes a LOT more sense!

steve_b77
    Free Member

thegreatape – Member
    I assumed it was a reference to coffee. I’m obviously more grown up than some of you

Or not quite as worldly wise as you may think.

roger_mellie

Yes, brown as in coffee and cake/ flapjack etc. Sorry to disappoint 🙂

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Costa @ Longleat’ is closed to new replies.