Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Cost to install log burner?
  • benz
    Free Member

Looking to get a Contura life burner installed in our lounge.

Quote to supply and fit them surprised me. Assuming the burner we like is about £2k then £7k inc vat surprised me a bit. We live in a bungalow built in ’94 and straight flue up through the roofspace.

Thoughts?

boxelder

Laugh and move on (assuming no major structural building works to accommodate it). Get other quotes.
    I’ve been quoted “about £500” to build in lintel and made good, supply and fit flue and install the stove. I’m expecting nearer £600 though and I’ll be paying for the lintel – £50?
    Edit – do you have fire/chimney already, or does that include double flue and roof work?

hopefiendboy

we looked at this- friend had one done recently and was iro 4-5k, 6k once all issues sorted out.

So, its expensive. Plus you’ve got to source fuel for it and have risk of blow back in your house? (2 freind have had this- one was a pigeon that died in the flue, another due to some other sort of blockage. Made a right mess of both living rooms)

We gave it a miss for these reasons!

edit- of course if you shop around you’d get it done cheaper imo, plus if you did it yourself even cheaper!

steelfan
    Free Member

2 grand here in South London for a charnwood c4 multi, flu liner, chimney pot, check plate and all installation. I did the hearth myself.

dyls

I paid about £2900 ish for a Morso 10kw stove, fitted including liner and paperwork. The stove itself was around £1750 if i remember right.
    No building work was required.

gobuchul
    Free Member

HETAS stove installers charge like wounded buffalo.

Absolute rip off and I have heard some horror stories about the standard of work.

I got my fitted by my builder when doing a big refurb. Building control officer refused to even come and look at it, as although he his a chartered civil engineer he didn’t think he was competent. Total twunt.

So I have an installation that has no paperwork but completely built to the regs and has been tested as per the guidelines. I have even checked for CO with a calibrated gas meter from work.

Some of the more risk averse people on here have mentioned voiding house insurance, problems when selling and gassing myself, the more sensible and pragmatic have given me a number of examples that have reassured me it’s not a major problem.

Fitting a stove is not rocket science, you could do it yourself but if you want to check you will get sign off speak to the building control office first.

russ295
    Free Member

£350 to have esse100 fitted and a granite hearth sides and back, inc knocking out and fitting lintel (I paid for the granite)
    He is my mate tho:-)

TheFlyingOx

£2200 for us, start to finish. Involved taking out old gas fire & capping supply, widening the fireplace, making good, repairing/repointing chimney walls, plastering & painting once done, plus everything required for 8kw stove with twin-wall liner installation.

A lot more reasonable than the £5000-odd we were originally quoted, and that one involved us tidying up afterwards and plastering/decorating afterwards.

ski
    Free Member

£1500, which included knocking the old fireplace about, fitting a new lintel, plate, cowel and liner, in all two days work, I used our old stove so that was not part of the price.

Edit – HETAS registered fitter and work was checked by HETAS directly, as part of their program of checks on fitters

gobuchul
    Free Member

£1500, which included knocking the old fireplace about, fitting a new lintel, plate, cowel and liner, in all two days work,

How many men? If that was only 2 men you paid top dollar for fairly unskilled labour.

trail_rat
    Free Member

So, its expensive. Plus you’ve got to source fuel for it and have risk of blow back in your house? (2 freind have had this- one was a pigeon that died in the flue, another due to some other sort of blockage. Made a right mess of both living rooms)

Did the pigeon explode ?

ski
    Free Member

How many men? If that was only 2 men you paid top dollar for fairly unskilled labour.

Yes only two, but they did have to correct the work that previous (cowboy) builders had left, they apparently charged less, a lot less, but do fit flue liner upside down, leave a chimney stack unsupported, use loft insulation to fill the gaps left at the top of the cowel,used mdf boarding instead of fireboards, fed a mains lead behind the stove held in place with nonails, all work was apparently approved by building regs, or so it said on their receipt the previous owner left us 😉

thehustler
    Free Member

8KW chesney Fitted fleu’d fireplace knocked out Lintel put in Fire ligned slate hearth and Oak Mantle etc £3.1K

svensvenson

about 100€. stove recuperated from old guy in village, 15€ of high temp paint and some minor re welding of feet by myself, some lengths of flue, some new, some old.

Did the work myself and had an “amusing” time hoiking the sections of flue up with a climbing rope and an over stressed (now ex) father in law…

Still it works – I’ve even taken the radiators out of the kids bedrooms!

Confession: I actually live in provence, it does get cold here in the winter on the ventoux, no really it does, but the real advantage is we get communal rights to a fire wood cut, which works out at about 12-15€ a cord (not counting my time cutting etc etc) so for me it was a no brainer. Plus I’ve always liked playing with chainsaws…

Obviously this doesn’t help with the original question at all – apologies!

Drac

Less than £2k for me, for them to knock into the original fire place, build brick fireplace and install the burner.

It’s been in about 7 years now and no pigeon has blown me back. 😯

bedmaker

used mdf boarding instead of fireboards

My sweep heard a corker of a story while at his refresher course a few weeks ago. One of the other sweeps went to sweep a stove, fitted by the homeowner. Said homeowner was therea at the time, and quite proud of his work.
    The sweep told him he shouldn’t use the stove as the register plate was made of plywood and was a serious fire risk. He then got a bit miifed at being told this and retorted with, “I’m not a complete fackeen idiot, I used marine ply!” 😆

Back to the OP, I’ve done a few bungalows recently. For everything bar the stove itself it usually ends up costing £2500 +-£150.
    Top quality twinwall, slate hearth, fireproofing the rear properly. I’m HETAS reg.

grum
    Free Member

While we’re here:

The last time we had our chimney swept we were told the register plate was knackered and needed replacing. He gave a rough estimate which I can’t remember but it sounded like quite a lot to me. What’s a ballpark figure? 🙂

hopefiendboy

yeah, al qaeda pigeon. Fowl play all round I suspect.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Cost to install log burner?’ is closed to new replies.