Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • cost to fit a new door in an external wall?
  • clubber
    Free Member

I’m looking at having a new single door put in an external wall. Probably something like a fairly secure upvc door. The wall is pretty standard double skin brick. Obviously it’ll need an rsj fitting too.

Anyone got any idea how much it’s likely to cost all in?

Oh and would it need any form of planning permission?

Thanks 🙂

footflaps

You’d need building control approval for the lintel as it’s a structural change.

I’d guess at £500 + door all in., but it all depends on the details….

clubber
    Free Member

Thanks. I’m figuring (guessing really 😉 ) £1k all in so that sounds good.

For a bit more detail, this is to add a door to an integral garage so that I don’t have to constantly open the up and over to get bikes in and out.

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

As a rough quesstimate depending on your location, and local builders rates a couple of hundred for the door, another hundred or so for the lintels, depending on what the rest of the house is and weather or not you want them to match, and another 2-3 hundred for fitting, and finishing off. Doubt if you’ll need an rsj, a pre stressed concrete lintel for the internal skin, and a prestressed fair faced lintel for a stone effect on the external skin, or a catnic cg style would be ok for supporting up to 3stories. Best checking with building control as to what they currently require though.

clubber
    Free Member

Brilliant. Thanks

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

this is to add a door to an integral garage

I think you might need a 100mm step down into the garage, would that be a problem ?

clubber
    Free Member

You mean that the regs require a step down?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yep, on new build anyway.

jamesy01
    Free Member

Is that not only applicable if the door is directly from the house?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I thought it was a personnel door from the house into garage, no ?

I took double-skin wall as being the external wall of the house rather than the garage.

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

I think you’d have to put a fire door in between a garage and house, again building control would confirm, but t,hat would drop the cost by a hundred or so.

jamesy01
    Free Member

Going by the original post and the doors use for getting bikes in and out, it sounds like an external door between the garage and fresh air.
    No step and no fire door required.
    Under a grand easily.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’s a posh garage if it’s got double skin brick walls 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

🙂

It’s a garage attached to the house and part of it. There is currently a door from the house into the garage and the garage also has an up and over. I want to add an extra door to the outside of the garage so that I don’t have to use the up and over to get bikes outside the garage/house from the garage (or having to go through the house)

Hope that’s clear!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yes it’s clear now 🙂

And no, you won’t need a 100mm step.

wrightyson
    Free Member

And I wouldn’t bother with building regs. It’s a garage. Take pics of the lintel and that’ll do of any come back which there most likely wont be.

br
    Free Member

And I wouldn’t bother with building regs. It’s a garage. Take pics of the lintel and that’ll do of any come back which there most likely wont be.

This.

In my last house I had the garage door moved, from the back to the side. A pal came around and cut out the bricks for the lintel, then cut out the hole for the door. I chipped off the bricks. We moved the door and then he used the old bricks to fill up the old hole. Took a day.

Didn’t inform anyone, and when we sold the house last year, no one noticed the door had moved.

footflaps

BC is no big deal. You can do it under a notice and file that two days before you start. You just pay a small fee for the inspection (£65 ish).

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘cost to fit a new door in an external wall?’ is closed to new replies.