Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Cost to fit a headset?
  • epicsteve
    Free Member

Just received by Inbred frame and a headset from On-One but forgot to ask to get it fitted. So what's a reasonable amount for an LBS to charge to press the headset cups into a frame where they haven't supplied any of the bits?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

£5

or a nice big bag of donuts

Jase
    Free Member

I paid £5 to have a crown race fitted so perhaps £10?

thomthumb
    Free Member

£10-15 is what i'd expect to pay. what is reasonable is a different question – and why i own a headst press.

your a bit far away or you could use it.

ojom
    Free Member

As lovely as donuts are they don't pay mechanics wages 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

probably £10
    dont you own a hammer and a lump of wood?
    Would take you about a minute to do with method above

foxyrider
    Free Member

I'll do it for a doughnut if you live near Exeter 😉 I bought a cheap headset press and have not used it soo many times for me and friends that its easily payed for itself but if its a one off just prob easier to get your LBS to do it esp if your not confident to bodge a press together. I would say it is no more than a 2 min job so £5 unless your asking them to put the front end together as well IMHO 🙂

epicsteve
    Free Member

As I was in Edinburgh anyway today I took it to one of the larger shops there first. After initially saying they couldn't fit me in they changed their minds but quoted £25 to do the job. That seemed quite a lot so instead I took it to another shop (in West Lothian) that I've used before and they've quoted £5 so I've left it with them.

I'm much happier spending the £20 difference on a few bits and pieces (a chain or two) at the smaller shop.

ononeorange

Mine charged me a tenner

chvck
    Free Member

Mine charged me a fiver to take the headset cups out of one frame and put them into another

Drac

Free, dead easy to do your self.

cp

i've got a length of threaded bar, some big washers and some nuts – all sourced from b and q years ago 🙂

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Where do you live? There must be someone near you who would do it for a donut or two.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

I have fitted about 7 headsets with wood and a hammer 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

IIRC my LBS just asked for a £1 donation to the charity box to press the cups into the frame, did the crown race myself.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Where do you live? There must be someone near you who would do it for a donut or two.

I live in Edinburgh. It's about the only job I don't currently do myself and, given this is only the 2nd time I've ever had the issue, I'm not too bothered about aquiring the ability. I've left the frame & headset with the place I used last time as £5 seems plenty cheap.

I'm pretty convinced that the £25 quoted by the larger shop was just there way of telling me to f*ck off, especially as they'd initially told me that they could fit me in.

geoffj

£25 ffs. Name and shame! Should take less time than fixing a puncture and about the same skill level.
    £5 sounds reasonable if you CBA yourself.

Drac

It's about the only job I don't currently do myself nd, given this is only the 2nd time I've ever had the issue, I'm not too bothered about aquiring the ability.

It's not exactly trying probably one of the easier jobs. Line up place a bit wood over and hit with a hammer.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

My lbs (Alpine) charged me £2 the other day.

I presented them with the frame stripped and the cups ready to go in, on a quiet sunday afternoon.

The mechanic was pleased to have a nice simple job to do.

I had left my press at a mates house.

epicsteve
    Free Member

The £25 shop was Edinburgh Bike Co-Op, the £5 one was Pedal Power.

I actually quite like the Co-op for buying stuff as there is a much better chance they'll have stock (and even a choice) compared to anyone else locally, and I've also bought several new bikes there (5 I think) over the years. I don't tend to use them for mechanical work but seeing as I was in the vicinity this morning anyway I thought I'd give them another go. I think I'll stick to Pedal Power for the very occasional things I need done (bleeding brakes is the only other thing I prefer to get shops to do).

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Cost to fit a headset?’ is closed to new replies.