Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cost to extend a garage from single to 1.5/double?
  • nemesis
    Free Member

Hopefully moving house in the next few months. The only downside is that we currently have a double garage and the new place only has a single.

So, anyone got any idea on what it’d cost to extend the garage to a double (or maybe 1.75ish size). The existing garage has a flat roof and is at the side of the house along the boundary with the neighbour (and joined to their house) so it’d be being extended to the back.

We are also considering knocking a doorway through from the house to the garage (you can currently only get in at the front or through a door at the back) and making part of it a utility room.

nemesis
    Free Member

No garage experts in today? 🙂

nemesis
    Free Member

Another bump in case all the garage/building experts were on holiday yesterday 😉

qwerty
    Free Member

You need to provide more info on the current construction of the garage & your location.

My neighbour recently did this to house his Porsche & extend his workshop, not sure on price, round about 10k+, it’s nice

You’ll need new: footings, slab, walls, roof, door, lintels, sort any problems that rear their heads. Might be best to demolish and start again.

qwerty
    Free Member

PS: i am NOT a builder.

nemesis
    Free Member

It’s a block construction with a fairly standard/basic looking flat roof – perfectly adequate looking as is and ideally, just looking to extend rather than rebuild it entirely.

freeagent
    Free Member

Is it attached to the house? (sounds like it is)
    in which case, I think it’ll be classed as a house extension so you’ll need building regs approval etc….

If you are going to ‘knock it through’ into the house, you need to check the floor levels, as I think garage floors are supposed to be lower than ‘dwelling’ floors (so if there is a fuel leak, it won’t run into the house)

I think local builders/architect will be your best port of call initially.

nemesis
    Free Member

Yes, it’s at the side of the house between the house and the next house (so one wall is my house, the other wall is the neighbours’ house – link detached basically.

I agree, it’ll need regs approval but I don’t believe it’d need planning.

Floor level is a good point but I think from memory, it is lower already.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cost to extend a garage from single to 1.5/double?’ is closed to new replies.